Old 12-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
Ambidextrous throwers?

I went to the soccer field for practice today, but my left index has been hurting of late so I tried throwing RHBH ... I was surprised how far i could throw.

I figured that proper form is all new territory even for my natural LHBH, so why not?

I was getting them out further than I was left handed even a few months ago, thanks to all the tips I've learned here.

I don't throw forehanded, so I am envisioning the practicality of throwing with both hands.

Anyone out there throw with both hands?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 14
I have primarily been a right hand forehand player, but I got my first basket ace left handed( back hand) a few months ago. I had my right hand in a cast for 6 weeks, so started throwing left hand back hand, within 2 weeks of throwing I got an ace, and I had a bounce out the same round.

I wouldn't call myself ambidextrous, cause my putting was horrendous, although, I did beat me Dad and my friend one round left handed. I was shooting 10-12 strokes higher left handed than right handed per round.

6 weeks later, my right hand back hand improved as soon as I took the splint off my hand. I was throwing very well back hand, better than forehand for a couple weeks. I think throwing left hand back ahnd helped improve my right hand back hand throwing. I was forced to break down my release angle, foot positioning, etc.

Last edited by BCDan; 12-07-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 25
i'm pretty much in the same stages as you are. I'm naturally right handed at pretty much everything i do, EXCEPT when it comes to discs. I've played ultimate for 13-14 years and my left hand was always the dominant one for some reason. Just this last year i've come to the realization that because my lefty flick is, to be blunt, horrid, i should start throwing righty more often.

I, too, have been surprised at the distance and speed in which i was throwing righty. I probably helps that everything else i do is right dominant, so the muscle structure, coordination and timing are all there. I'm noticing that because i've been concentrating more on form from the ground up that i'm getting quite a bit better snap with my right hand. It seems like a matter of learning from the beginning rather than trying to break habits formed with my left hand.

its already come in handy on a few of those crazy right-to-left hyzers and getting out of trouble. Never hurts to have a few extra shots in your arsenal!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezermink View Post

I'm noticing that because i've been concentrating more on form from the ground up that i'm getting quite a bit better snap with my right hand. It seems like a matter of learning from the beginning rather than trying to break habits formed with my left hand.
Exactly! It's a chance to grow from the ground up - I am interested in pursuing this further.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 59
Phil Arthur throws ambidextrously ... seems to work for him.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHFH
One of my friends throws LHFH and RHBH. For some reason he can't get a LHBH going. This leaves him with the problem of only having left fading shots.

I've seen more lefties developing right handed shots than the other way around. Probably because lefties learn to use their right hands for all the stuff that isn't ambidextrous. I can't do a darn thing lefty. I've tried to throw, but just can't get anything going. I've got both a RHBH and RHFH going, so no real reason to worry about it, I guess.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:03 AM

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 45
I am ambidextrous but it didn't translate to disc golf for me until after a couple of years of playing regularly. I get a lot more torque on my LHBH, but have better control RHBH at about 250' and in. I'm able to throw at all ranges with both as well as putt with both.

I do find myself having trouble stepping up to some holes. I'll have a line considered and a hand and will sometimes second guess the selection on the tee pad, leading to a switch of hand, possibly disc, and take an extra throw or two on the hole. Definitely one of the least refined elements of my game - commitment to my shot.

With that being said, it's certainly a skill/ability worth having and one I enjoy, keep working hard on it and good luck.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:18 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
After I got home from field work, the thought crossed my mind. I think the next time I do field work, I'm going to try left hand as well.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:51 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
I was taught how to bat righty and lefty as a child. I throw some fishing rods left handed. Hmmmmmm... this I will check out tomorrow.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 80
I keep saying that learning how to play with your off hand is much easier than most people think. I have a ton of videos some that go back a few years before I hurt my shoulder and had to play LHBH. My doc says that my right shoulder is about as good as it will ever be but my range of motion is not the same and neither is my power. Since my injury I have become a better player because I had to re-learn the fundamentals and this allows me to keep getting better as a player years after playing and starting over after 14 years of playing RHBH.