Disc Golf Store
Old 12-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 154
Throwing Style: RHBH
Bowling Green is all that I asked for Christmas. And an Amp. I went a couple of years ago and had an absolute blast! Anyone who hasn't, you should strongly consider it. Smoothly-run events, beautiful courses. Easily the friendliest place I've ever been. Seriously, the whole town is friendly. It was weird, almost.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHFH
Been there the past 5 years and sorry to say it looks like I won't be able to make it this year. Got a big conversion at work and by it being a week later than normal I'll be out. Main reason to go are friends and competition. There are not many places (other than Worlds) that an Am can go for the level of competition this tourney offers. This is also an event that pulls in so many familiar faces that you may only see here or Worlds.

Courses are good - I really like Kereiakes and not a big fan of Phil Moore (to each is own) but each course in the current layout serves a purpose in balancing the field between distance and accuracy. It takes both and the current 4 course layout (Adv/Adv Masters) gives a very nice balance. Not a big fan of the Final 9 location from the past couple years but decisions need to be made by someone and it probably serves a purpose in some way.

Definitely worth experiencing - And as others have stated, it usually comes with a very nice players pack.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:29 AM
.:Team Innova Crew:.

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTyburski View Post
Considering I am sitting on a 973 rating, I really have no choice. MA1, baby!

973 and you're still playing am? Is that still fun? If i were you, I'd skip the am tourney's and step up a notch to the Open division, but that's just me.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:31 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 53
973 and you're still playing am? Is that still fun? If i were you, I'd skip the am tourney's and step up a notch to the Open division, but that's just me.

Ouch...call it like you see it Holly.

BG AMs is a good time...courses are average.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 180
Lol this arguement again... im 986 and yes it is super fun. Last year the winner was 940 rated and 2 people in the 920's made the finals.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 213
^still a horrible person
Old 12-14-2012, 08:59 AM
*Reform School Scholar*

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: LHBH
^^ obviously its fun. when is being better than 95% of your competition not fun.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Lol this arguement again... im 986 and yes it is super fun. Last year the winner was 940 rated and 2 people in the 920's made the finals.
I didn't see it as an argument, just an observation, and a valid one at that. Of course BG Ams is fun, and in fields that big some people are bound to get hot and play far above their rating.

As a 954 rated Grandmaster, I have endured so much grief locally for playing Advanced Masters that I started playing mostly Masters and not taking cash. When in my last tournament my 2nd place paid $135 I finally relented and took the cash (partly because picking out that much plastic isn't that much fun anymore), but the unfortunate result is no more BG Ams for me unless I play advanced. I'll probably do it because as others have said it's a fantastic tournament experience and has a really nice players pack.

Moving up is liberating, Mark - you should consider it. Do you have a specific goal before doing that (e.g., winning BG or Am Nats), or are you planning to be an am for life? Not being critical of your choice, just curious.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 72
Bobby Jones remained an amateur his entire playing career because he never wanted to turn the game he loved so much into a job.

When something becomes about making money, then a certain level of fun is lost.

So, if you high rated players want to remain amateurs, go for it.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 44
Agreed, as long as they are playing AM1, who cares what their rating is. that's why there isn't a top-end limit on the AM1 division.