Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
I got a chance to throw a 173M Lace for a round today and was very impressed. I haven't fallen in love with many of the vibram discs but this one may just be a keeper. I was surprised with how fast of a disc it is and has just the right amount of stability. If thrown with hyzer it holds that nice hyzer line and if thrown flat it flips just enough to get great glide with dependable fade at the end. This has the potential to replace the nukes in my bag.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedPuppySlayer View Post
Sitting here at Ross's looking through stacks of tasties he got from Vibram. Regarding ibexes, more stable in firm vs med? Dome vs flat?
I honestly don't see a big difference in stability as far as going from firm to medium or soft. Perhaps I'm not very observant. And as far as dome, I think Vibrams molds are very consistent. I haven't seen any molds that have more of a dome than others of the same model, although, I only have thrown about 20 Vibram discs. I would assume the domier the disc the less stable or more understable. I generally prefer medium since I find it more durable and grippy than firm. I also like the soft for the same reason, it's ultra durable and grippy if you can get over the fact that they are pretty floppy in your hand.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 98
I finally tried throwing my Lace into a pretty severe headwind today. It flipped like a lid. I guess it goes to show that Vibram seriously needs to work on the Overstable category in everything but putters. The Obex didn't hold up too well for me in a headwind either. Still love the Lace and Obex, but I have to reach for something else in those headwind situations.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 20
What kind of lace do you have
Old 12-12-2012, 08:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 55
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalbotTrojan View Post
I finally tried throwing my Lace into a pretty severe headwind today. It flipped like a lid. I guess it goes to show that Vibram seriously needs to work on the Overstable category in everything but putters. The Obex didn't hold up too well for me in a headwind either. Still love the Lace and Obex, but I have to reach for something else in those headwind situations.
They fly like FR Z Nukes, ofc they are going to flip into a headwind, especially if it's of the severe category.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:43 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 80
Quote:
Yeah. In a very strong headwind they will flip. But most of the time, if you have a max weight Lace and you give it a good amount of hyzer and enough altitude, it can handle the wind fine. I am looking forward to when Vibram can replace my Excal, my Flick and my Drone. In Oklahoma we get a ton of wind and you just need something extremely overstable.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:32 AM
* Ace Member *

I tend to like discs in the 167g to 169g range. I think my Lace is 167g. Even at that weight, it takes a pretty good headwind to make the disc act flippy. I would guess today it was in the 20mph to 30mph range. In general it holds a line better than any other Max D driver, hands down. I have thrown it with too much anny before and watched it hold that line way longer than expected. I still love my Lace. I am just anxious for Vibram to complete their line-up. Maybe they will find the time to perfect Fusion after that.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 13
Quote:
I am just anxious for Vibram to complete their line-up. Maybe they will find the time to perfect Fusion after that.
Totally agree with this. There are so many things I want from Vibram; Fusion, regular production super firms, readily available apparel, a disc golf specific shoe, a bag, etc. But as long as they continue to fill in their lineup with solid discs, none of that matters.

Disc wise, I'm personally waiting for an extremely overstable control driver (firebird-esque), very understable control driver (think a Summit in driver form), Mobex (rubber Gator), and a production run of the flippy Lace Proto.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodysseus View Post
Totally agree with this. There are so many things I want from Vibram; Fusion, regular production super firms, readily available apparel, a disc golf specific shoe, a bag, etc. But as long as they continue to fill in their lineup with solid discs, none of that matters.

Disc wise, I'm personally waiting for an extremely overstable control driver (firebird-esque), very understable control driver (think a Summit in driver form), Mobex (rubber Gator), and a production run of the flippy Lace Proto.
Ha, so many discs we would all love to see. In time I am sure it will happen. I would really love to see the overstable stuff next (Mobex, Firebird/Predator, Nuke OS/Ape).

Old 12-14-2012, 02:46 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
A Gator-like mid, a true turnover mid, a Firebird-like fairway, and a Force-like distance driver would make it so that I could actually throw an all Vibram bag. Don't know if the proto flippy Lace would actually help me much. I'm sure there are some less stable Laces out there already. So far I'm counting 4 slots I'd like to see filled for me to feel like I could really go all in.
Closed Thread