Old 12-12-2012, 12:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Not snide, just poking fun at the whole notion. It's a silly topic.
It is a silly topic.
People arguing both sides of a debate which neither can prove or disprove. One side has reason to believe color has an effect on flight for reasons that if scientifically true, would add up. The other side argues against because...well, just because.

One side wants proof theyre wrong but refuses to look for themselves, the other side wants people to accept it because it makes sense for them, sounds like a religious/faith argument lol
Old 12-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
If everything in the universe is a vibration, then red being the color in the visible spectrum of light with the longest wavelength could have implications on the physical flight characteristics of a disc or cause a subtle change in the molding process.

somebody smarter than myself can post a theory.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
If something were more dense it would be difficult to A. Get it rotating at the same rate as something less dense, B. it would for sure not be rotating at speed for the same amout of time, loss of rotation causes fade, sooner loss of rotation means sooner fade. (Theoretically)

Combined with it being a little more difficult to get the rpms up, would make it fly as if it were more OS (also theoretically)
No, no, you are confusing density with weight or mass. Time to give it up, man. You're in the deep end of the pool when it comes to "science". People here been trying to tell ya.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo.diablo View Post
If everything in the universe is a vibration, then red being the color in the visible spectrum of light with the longest wavelength could have implications on the physical flight characteristics of a disc or cause a subtle change in the molding process.

somebody smarter than myself can post a theory.
We're talking about dye, not lightwaves.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 67
IF color has any impact on a disc's flight, it's as Karl said, because of the chemical composition of the dying agent causing the disc to shape itself differently during the manufacturing process. The altered shape of the disc is what causes changes in flight characteristics.

To suggest that the differences in coloring agents in identically shaped discs can affect flight is assanine. Vibration, density light transmission, etc have less impact on flight than if you tried to blow on the disc on release to give it a tailwind.

Bottom line, the shape of the disc determines flight. The color may effect how the disc is shaped, or it may simply be a unique identifier of a batch that came out slightly more "overstable" than others.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:31 PM
* Ace Member *

I can shed some light on this...Before I learned better I would have said that there is no way color could have an independent effect on stability. After getting in with the MVP guy and learning 100% more about the molding of discs than I knew before I now realize that it does have an independent effect. Now I'm not going to provide any support to this whole red dye situation, but each color is a chemical that reacts slightly differently through the inherently touchy process of injection molding. Different melting points, specific heats, and many other factors make this so. For example many of us know that all the FR Axis came out flat except the pinks, which under the exact same conditions cooled with a big dome. The MVP guys told me it was the colorant making the difference.

Now I'm sure there are many here who know way more about molding than the MVP guys....
Old 12-12-2012, 12:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
Bottom line, the shape of the disc determines flight. The color may effect how the disc is shaped, or it may simply be a unique identifier of a batch that came out slightly more "overstable" than others.
This is totally true, although color DOES effect how discs can shape up.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I can shed some light on this...Before I learned better I would have said that there is no way color could have an independent effect on stability. After getting in with the MVP guy and learning 100% more about the molding of discs than I knew before I now realize that it does have an independent effect. Now I'm not going to provide any support to this whole red dye situation, but each color is a chemical that reacts slightly differently through the inherently touchy process of injection molding. Different melting points, specific heats, and many other factors make this so. For example many of us know that all the FR Axis came out flat except the pinks, which under the exact same conditions cooled with a big dome. The MVP guys told me it was the colorant making the difference.

Now I'm sure there are many here who know way more about molding than the MVP guys....
But that wouldn't cause two discs of the same shape but different color to fly differently. It just shows that discs of a certain color are more likely to come out with a certain shape. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there are environmental variables that also have an effect on the shape of the disc after cooling.

One thing that what you posted didn't address is how much of a difference the pigment makes compared to other variables. It's no secret that these discs aren't made in a super well controlled environment. Perhaps that would be a good question for them. Which variables contribute to the end shape of a disc, how much does each variable contribute and how well controlled is each variable?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
But that wouldn't cause two discs of the same shape but different color to fly differently. It just shows that discs of a certain color are more likely to come out with a certain shape. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there are environmental variables that also have an effect on the shape of the disc after cooling.

One thing that what you posted didn't address is how much of a difference the pigment makes compared to other variables. It's no secret that these discs aren't made in a super well controlled environment. Perhaps that would be a good question for them. Which variables contribute to the end shape of a disc, how much does each variable contribute and how well controlled is each variable?

You were probably typing as I responded above that colors only affect the shape of a disc, and that is what affects flight. Color is just one of a myriad of variables here, but it's also one of the easiest variables to isolate from most the others. Obviously the MVP guys found a way to overrule the way the colorant was making their discs shape up to get them more consistent with the others, so color's effect can be easily trumped by things like cooling time and temps.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:52 PM
* Ace Member *

So it certainly cannot be said that color affects flight so pervasively that it shows itself consistently across runs/molds/companies/etc. But it also cannot be said that colorants are not a contributing variable determining how discs fly...