Disc Golf Store
Old 12-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Bogey Member

Proposed Disc Golf Trip

I would first off like to apologize as this is probably in the wrong section.

Hello,

Me and some of my buddies live in southern Wisconsin, Madison area. We were going to make a trip for our spring break which is March 24th to the 29th, simply put, do any of you think that would be a good time to go? Will the ground be thawed out enough and warm enough for it not to be all muddy...? I just contacted the Highbridge owner through the website. Just wondering what you guys thought.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 120
You may want to head south to avoid any weather conflicts that time of the year. It's just too difficult to predict how frozen and/or muddy the ground will be in March.

You should save that kind of trip for the summer months if you are concerned about playing in the mud.

Maybe head down to the St. Louis area? Much better weather and decent courses, but certainly not in a class with Highbridge.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 165
Throwing Style: RHBH
Definitely head south that time of the year. As Jason pointed out, the St. Louis area isn't a bad drive and temperatures are usually in the 50-70 degree range that time of the year. They've installed about 2-3 new 18s there in the past year and I know are working on another one right now. You can also drive down to Ohio and play the Cincinnati/Dayton area courses. Similar weather to St. Louis and a very solid course line up.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Foundation Park is also close to the St. Louis area. This course has been on my wish list for a while.

Crystal City is another good/unique option in that area.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
When I hear "Spring Break", Highbridge, Wisconsin isn't the first thing that comes to mind. Somehow I don't think the videos will match the ones from Ft. Lauderdale.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Bogey Member

Lol, I was kind of thinking that too.. St. Louis just seems like kind of a far drive. If anything we will save this trip for the summer. We want to go up to Highbridge because one of the guy's going owns a cabin up there. What is Illinois like for disc golf courses?

[Edit] I appreciate the feedback though.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 682
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140
Quote:
Originally Posted by beagleboy241 View Post
Lol, I was kind of thinking that too.. St. Louis just seems like kind of a far drive. If anything we will save this trip for the summer. We want to go up to Highbridge because one of the guy's going owns a cabin up there. What is Illinois like for disc golf courses?

St Louis from Madison is probably 5 hours . . . Highbridge has to be at least 4 so I wouldnt say that is enough difference. i agree avoid Highbridge because if we get a lot of late snow you will ruin your experience. Save Highbridge for a fall trip best time of year to play difficult courses.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Bogey Member

I know it might not be as far but, leaving the state and all that creates more complications. We are only 17 and 18 so the parents are involved that's why we're trying to stay in Wisconsin. Like I stated above, that trip will probably be like the last day of high school trip. During spring break we could just hit up the east side of Madison a bunch. i.e. Marshall, Heistand, Token Creek etc... I don't know all the courses over there.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagleboy241 View Post

FWIW, Google maps says it takes 4 hours, 51 minutes to Highbridge from Madison and 5 hours, 32 minutes to St. Louis from Madison.

The quality courses here in IL are spread out. Foundation Park that I previously mentioned is probably one of the best in the state, if not #1.

The Joliet area also includes some quality courses like Highland Park, Community Park, and the Round Barn DGC to name a few.

McNaughton Park is a very nice course in the Peoria area.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
FWIW, Google maps says it takes 4 hours, 51 minutes to Highbridge from Madison and 5 hours, 32 minutes to St. Louis from Madison.

The quality courses here in IL are spread out. Foundation Park that I previously mentioned is probably one of the best in the state, if not #1.

The Joliet area also includes some quality courses like Highland Park, Community Park, and the Round Barn DGC to name a few.

McNaughton Park is a very nice course in the Peoria area.

I like that Round Barn Course :P