Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHBH
Six-Month Veteran critique please.

I picked up the game in June of this year and really scoured these forums and youtube for tips on form. After a few months I pretty much stopped reading and watching and I've been kind of feeling out my form.

Current distances on average:
Anode up to 250',
Buzzz about 275-290
Teebird 300' +/- 15'
Freak about 320-340

The farthest I have thrown the Freak was about 365'. This was recorded earlier today on a pretty soggy field and a damp teepad. I actually thought I had a good recording of the 365' shot but I picked up the camera only to realize it wasn't recording.

Anyways, here's the video. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Par Member

The two golf shots were thrown on this hole...

In A position. Buzz fell about 20' short and Freak about 20' beyond the pin.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
You are very flat footed and not getting your hips into the throw. Your weight is not being kept inside your feet, and your front knee collapses and spins out instead of clearing the front hip back.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Par Member

Thanks sidewinder, the flat footed-ness is something I'm aware of and have tried to work on a bit, or at the very least, I have consciously tried to make an effort to be up on my toes. Needless to say, I'm not very light on my toes.

Also, I re-watched the Backhand Technique video (the one where the guy is explaining it in what looks like a dorm room) that you've referred other people to and think I can see where this can be improved.

As for the knee collapsing, I'm not really sure what to do. I noticed in the first throw before you even made the comment, but thought it might be due to slipping on the wet field, and then I saw it in the second and third. Is it that I'm leaning a bit too far forward as I pull through?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
Yes. You are shifting you weight too much back and too much forward. When you go to plant you have opened your hips already and so you can't clear your front hip back and the front knee collapses. Half the battle to stop pushing off your rear heel, and planting before rotating.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:06 PM

Courses Played: 96
I would throw in an additional .02. The half speed buzz shot is closer to the proper cadence. Slowing down to that speed will make any adjustments easier. It makes your timing easier and allows you to focus on getting into position before hitting rather than accelerating early and either hitting or not.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Par Member

That's pretty interesting, now that I think about it, I have ripped a few really nice drives on what I felt was like a slow motion run up.

I haven't been able to get out at all lately because of about six inches of snow on the ground and the holidays. I'm taking a week long cruise leaving from Florida in about a week and I'm hoping to sneak in a round or two at the nine hole course near the Orlando airport. I'll definitely be trying to incorporate a slower run up and planting before I rotate.