Disc Golf Store
Old 01-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Markbuch form Critique

Title says it all, critique/analyze my form! Taken a few months ago, kind of a crummy angle but it's currently all I've got. I'll take a better video soon.

These were a few drives at a pin 405' away, trying not to completely air it out but keep my shot shape in a tighter line. Not sure if it matters, but current bag includes Havoc/Halo for max distance, Flow for control, Striker/River for fairway, mostly Core for midrange and many various molds in between.

I'm anxious to see my current self on film to compare to this, as I've recently come back from reconstructive ACL surgery on my pivot foot (this video is prior to that) which makes twisting on that plant leg a little shakier now.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Last edited by markbuch; 01-02-2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Having trouble embedding...
Old 01-02-2013, 11:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 136
Send a message via AIM to New013
the reach back ends up a little high and you're getting a dip instead of coming through on a level plain. looks pretty good other than that, try to stay on your toes more.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Not using your hips. You are just pushing your rear side over, instead of rotating the hips. Slow down, and pivot more back and forth. Keep your weight more centered/balanced throughout the throw.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
the reach back ends up a little high and you're getting a dip instead of coming through on a level plain. looks pretty good other than that, try to stay on your toes more.
Good advice, I'll keep that in mind. I find that if I think about going high to low and "staying down on it" I throw much lower at the desired height and limit the shots that I release too high. More often then I like to I throw too low though and throw a worm-burner, your comment could be where this tendency comes from.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Not using your hips. You are just pushing your rear side over, instead of rotating the hips. Slow down, and pivot more back and forth. Keep your weight more centered/balanced throughout the throw.
Obviously the hips are rotated by the end of the throw, but when you say I'm not using them, should I be rotating more at the hips as I start my reach through?

I'm a soccer player and have always felt that a lot of my 'power' comes from driving through and using my lower body so I was under the impression that I was using my hips. Glad you brought this to my attention.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 187
You are leaning too far back on your reach back and too far forward when you throw........stack your centers of gravity.....ie your head and belly button should be on the same plane the entire time. You are muscling the disc now. When you plant that right foot your movement should be rotary, not forward.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

And try to keep your head down and stop watching your shot......That will help with the forward movement
Old 01-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicRib View Post
And try to keep your head down and stop watching your shot......That will help with the forward movement

Awesome, I'll keep that in mind! Thanks for the help!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
BionicRib basically answered your question although I will say there still is a forward component after the plant but there should be more focus on rotation for you. If watch your hips compared to top pros you will see how far your hips continue forward in the follow through because you aren't clearing the front hip back during the throw.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

^True.......I was referring to his lunging forward past his plant leg mostly. I like to pretend that my right leg is a kickstand when I plant and there is an imaginary wall right in front of that kickstand that my head/torso should never pass.....helps for me atleast