Disc Golf Center
  #11  
Old 01-04-2013, 08:31 PM
oddjob oddjob is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Courses Played: 23
Posts: 1,048
Better putting, especially inside the circle, and not doing stupid ****.

The gap isn't that huge.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-04-2013, 08:33 PM
UnitedPuppySlayer's Avatar
UnitedPuppySlayer UnitedPuppySlayer is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mpls, Minnesota
Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,741
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdershins View Post
Most exceptional athletes could not earn a tour card if they spent a decade trying.
Just look at Barkley's golf game!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-04-2013, 08:45 PM
New013's Avatar
New013 New013 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,740
Send a message via AIM to New013
this really is a silly discussion, anyone comparing disc golf to major sports in this way thinks way to highly of where disc golf currently sits in the spectrum of athletics.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Allurex's Avatar
Allurex Allurex is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kansas City
Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Depends on how good they were when they stopped playing so regularly. After 5 years of fairly serious playing, I could probably play only 2-3 times a summer and not suffer that bad of a drop off.
Well that's not exactly what I meant. I mean that guy at your work that has 3 discs and almost never plays.

I think we could all take an extended break and still play not horribly. But think about your first 3-4 rounds of Disc Golf. How bad you were then, there's a lot of people that rarely ever play and never get much better than that.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-04-2013, 08:58 PM
mj20300 mj20300 is offline
.:Discraft Pro Michael Johansen:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: denver,nc
Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 162
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 979
the way you really see the difference between a top pro and an average am1 is over the long run of multiple events. Its bigger than you think! There's guys that are 990ish pros who i will regularly beat by 20 or more strokes an event, but at times they get close or sometimes bezt me when everything goes right for them or i'm just not playing well. Most of it is mental game and really understanding all the shots in the game. Most people are good at a few shots not most of them. While top pros are great at 5 or 6 aspects of the game and still quite good at the rest


my 2 cents

however over just a randomn round somewhere alot of different people can do well
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-04-2013, 09:03 PM
jenb's Avatar
jenb jenb is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: DFW TX USA
Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,352
One thing to consider is that the pros are pretty athletic. If you weed out the non-athletic ams, and just consider the athletic ams, I don't think there's as much difference.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 PM
BrotherDave's Avatar
BrotherDave BrotherDave is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NC
Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 99
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 11,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allurex View Post
Well that's not exactly what I meant. I mean that guy at your work that has 3 discs and almost never plays.

I think we could all take an extended break and still play not horribly. But think about your first 3-4 rounds of Disc Golf. How bad you were then, there's a lot of people that rarely ever play and never get much better than that.
O I C. That's kind of true of all sports.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 PM
throwfromthewoods's Avatar
throwfromthewoods throwfromthewoods is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,994
I think one of the big points that need to be made is not necessarily what top pros DO, but it's what they CAN do that makes the gap seem less. Let me try to clarify. I've played alongside former world champions. I've seen first-hand my fair share of top tier talent. In practice, they are well beyond even our local pros. Yes, one might have an exceptional round, or the pro might be off his game. Like MJ said, over the course of an extended series, the gap would grow and grow. However, there's really no physical aspect of these pros that the average guy can't match. I personally have no physical limitations that prevent me from doing what Feldberg does, short of practice and some conditioning. Unlike myself trying to dunk a basketball, or run a 40 in 4.2; throwing a disc 500' and hitting 99 of 100 putts within the circle are mechanics-driven. In that regard, the 'gap' can be considered smaller. In practice though, they are top pros for a reason, and I am not for that same reason.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Scoot_er's Avatar
Scoot_er Scoot_er is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ace. TX
Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 123
Posts: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwfromthewoods View Post
I personally have no physical limitations that prevent me from doing... short of practice and some conditioning..
Sorry I got a Michael Jordan image in my head when you said this!

Everything else in your post seems to put us equal with BG....basically saying practice can lead to great success.
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 01-04-2013, 09:25 PM
mj20300 mj20300 is offline
.:Discraft Pro Michael Johansen:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: denver,nc
Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 162
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwfromthewoods View Post
I think one of the big points that need to be made is not necessarily what top pros DO, but it's what they CAN do that makes the gap seem less. Let me try to clarify. I've played alongside former world champions. I've seen first-hand my fair share of top tier talent. In practice, they are well beyond even our local pros. Yes, one might have an exceptional round, or the pro might be off his game. Like MJ said, over the course of an extended series, the gap would grow and grow. However, there's really no physical aspect of these pros that the average guy can't match. I personally have no physical limitations that prevent me from doing what Feldberg does, short of practice and some conditioning. Unlike myself trying to dunk a basketball, or run a 40 in 4.2; throwing a disc 500' and hitting 99 of 100 putts within the circle are mechanics-driven. In that regard, the 'gap' can be considered smaller. In practice though, they are top pros for a reason, and I am not for that same reason.
you are getting on the right track. Biggest difference is the mental and psyche part of the game. There are highly ranked disc golfers out there now that i dont believe could cut it if we were playing for big money, on tv, and had large crowds following them every round! We havent seen that separation of the top players yet, i know some scratch ball golfers that couldnt hit the broad side of a barn from 40 yards if they knew alot of people are watching and they could look stupid on tv.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.