Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupet View Post
I am right handed. I throw RHBH, RHFH and LHBH. I can throw farther lefty then FH. Sometimes I have trouble ranging left handed though. I do find it more fun to play lefty vs. FH. I think its an advantage having three options.
Developing touch & feel is probably the hardest part with off-hand throwing in my experience.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Bending Rodriguez

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 94
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to B3NDER
I have griplock issues from time-to-time throwing RHBH (which is my norm) I can't even begin to imagine how bad it would get if I tried LHBH

However, It would be cool to learn both, at least in that case If I want to throw some crazy tomahawks, I could do so with my left arm, and not roast my right arm at the same time. HOWEVER, considering I can't even throw a baseball worth a damn left handed, I don't see a miracle where a disc is involved.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: RHFH
I broke my right arm (I'm right handed) while playing soccer when I was a Senior in HS. I was in a cast for 6 months and had to do everything left-handed (This was before I played DG). Now, 7 years later, I think having to use my left-hand for 6 months has aided me in throwing off-hand. I play rounds lefty from time to time and my drives are definitely there. My putting suffers, though. I think if I drove lefty and threw upshots/putted righty my rounds would be almost as good as all righty.

I think off-hand just comes down to forcing yourself to practice it and eventually utilizing it in rounds.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 8
Two days before xmas this year I crushed the tip of my index finger on my right hand. Took 5 stiches to somewhat put it back together, but I broke the bone on the tip of my finger. Doc says 4-6 weeks before I can quit wearing the cast, but the tear is right where the disc rips off of my index finger so until it completely heals I am out. I have been doing a little field work lefty and it was surprisingly easy to transition. I think the hardest part for me will be reversing the xstep.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikias View Post
Two days before xmas this year I crushed the tip of my index finger on my right hand. Took 5 stiches to somewhat put it back together, but I broke the bone on the tip of my finger. Doc says 4-6 weeks before I can quit wearing the cast, but the tear is right where the disc rips off of my index finger so until it completely heals I am out. I have been doing a little field work lefty and it was surprisingly easy to transition. I think the hardest part for me will be reversing the xstep.
That's actually pretty easy to do. A lot easier than learning to throw off-hand.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikias View Post
Yeah, the footwork is the most awkward part to me. I practiced some lefty backhand throws because I'm not very consistent with my forehand shot. I did ok until I started to implement an x step into it. Then I busted my ass and tweaked my knee falling off the edge of a teebox. Was not fun. Anyway, I found it really wasn't worth going for drives with it as I could never really get a driver up to speed. However, it is quite nice to have the option for approach shots that need that right curve or fade at the end, and I'm finding I can judge distance better with a lhbh than with a rhfh.

Anyway, we should play again some time. It's been too long. You still got your disc golf club going?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 8
@Skurf Yeah still chugging along, down for a round some time, bit may be a little bit.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 27
OK not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this on but I'm gonna do it. I know somebody who has a great left handed forehand, but he started developing a backhand. The problem is that he is developing a right handed backhand, and that made me think, what's the point of getting a right handed backhand they do the same thing as a left handed forehand. So question is, is there anything that you can/is easier to do with a right handed backhand, that you can't do with a lefty forehand?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 3
^more distance potential backhand.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 3
and backhand is easier on the body.