Old 01-05-2013, 07:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalbotTrojan View Post
Hello Steve Dodge!

Yes, I have a question for you. I have now seen the official announcement of Prodigy Disc Golf and still do not have all the answers I was hoping to have, but I am curious to hear your thoughts on the new company and if it will have any impact on what Vibram is doing. I have been very impressed with how Vibram continues to make an impact on Disc Golf and hope to see more in the future from Vibram as far as making an impact on the professional game as well as growth of the sport overall.

So the questions are:

1. What are your first thoughts as far as Prodigy is concerned?

2. How will their new business model and desire to help the sport affect what Vibram is already doing?

4. What plans does Vibram have moving forward as far as Pro Tour Sponsorship and growth of the sport overall?
where is question 3
Old 01-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.2
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgauthier View Post
I just realized I have a super rare Summit. This bad boy flies just 6.8 feet at its ideal cruising speed. Perfect for a full run up and x step from 6-7 feet out!

In the early days of Vibram the second number was a mutiplier. You multiplied the top number by the bottom number to get the "distance".
Old 01-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 43
So, no one has any ideas on what to do about the specs being off on a Vibram Summit?
Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bassman View Post
In the early days of Vibram the second number was a mutiplier. You multiplied the top number by the bottom number to get the "distance".
You're kidding? That's awesome, and the math is consistent with current chart. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by apparition View Post
So, no one has any ideas on what to do about the specs being off on a Vibram Summit?

This isn't really Vibram's fault, the specs on the PDGA approved disc can be fuzzy on a lot of discs. I just measured my 5 Summits and got a reading of 1.4cm on all but one that might be 1.3cm if not 1.4cm. The one ESP Zone I had measured at 1.4cm.

You have to take the PDGA specs with a bit of salt, they can be off a millimeter or two b/c making discs just isn't that profitable enough to put in the labor to make every one exactly the same.

You might be able to flatten your Summits a bit by warming them up, flightplate down, with something heavy on top to push down the shoulders but I honestly have no idea if that would work with Vibram being rubber and all.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon.trenton View Post
where is question 3
It is still in my head. It doesn't seem to want to come out. But I still want questions 1, 2 and 4 answered.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
This isn't really Vibram's fault, the specs on the PDGA approved disc can be fuzzy on a lot of discs. I just measured my 5 Summits and got a reading of 1.4cm on all but one that might be 1.3cm if not 1.4cm. The one ESP Zone I had measured at 1.4cm.

You have to take the PDGA specs with a bit of salt, they can be off a millimeter or two b/c making discs just isn't that profitable enough to put in the labor to make every one exactly the same.

You might be able to flatten your Summits a bit by warming them up, flightplate down, with something heavy on top to push down the shoulders but I honestly have no idea if that would work with Vibram being rubber and all.
Vibram submitted it for approval with a shallow rim, advertise it as being a shallow putter, but are not producing it consistently shallow because it's too expensive means it's the PDGA's fault for listing dimensions? I don't want to flatten it, I want it to be shallow the way they advertise. I suppose it's actually my fault for asking Vibram fans, but it's good to know these discs are inconsistent. I've asked Vibram, so we'll see what they say

I know this sounds really snarky, but please don't take it personally. I'm just on a painstaking quest to find a shallow putter :/
Old 01-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Par Member

Quote:
I know this sounds really snarky, but please don't take it personally. I'm just on a painstaking quest to find a shallow putter :/
You should check out Latitude's Zero-line Spike, they're quite shallow. I use Pures which are listed at 1.4cm, and I just measured my Zero Pures and they are all 1.4cm deep. The Spike is shallower than a Pure, and listed at 1.3cm, so that measurement might hold true, but I don't have any to measure myself. Flatness also affects how deep the disc feels in hand, and both the Pure and Spike are really flat in Zero-line.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:49 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 275
Quote:
Vibram may have published their own measurements at somepoint but what the PDGA publishes is the PDGA's findings on the discs which are submitted and I wouldn't imagine they have more scientific measuring facilities than a company like Vibram.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Steven Dodge from Vibram emailed me back very quickly and basically said if it says Summit on the bottom, it's their shallowest putter and he was mainly concerned with whether it flies/putts the way it should. Depth issue aside, the disc really does fly the way they intend and advertise it to (slightly understable in a fantastic way), which I'm sure is the primary concern of Vibram and most of their customers. Considering how reliably and nicely it flies, I realize that anyone who buys the disc for its intended flight characteristics will be more than satisfied with the Summit. I'm definitely going to keep it as my understable putter (it's way more consistently understable than Swans), but I'm still on the prowl for the perfect shallow putter in a plastic that will last longer than one round (I'm looking at YOU Pro D Ringers!).
Closed Thread