Old 01-04-2013, 06:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 111
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff
I agree with the LA route, hit Oak Grove and Sylmar for sure. They are both great courses. While they aren't necessarily the most challenging courses, they have a great balance of challenge and fun factor, plus the locals are always very friendly and you could easily find a guide either here or on the course.

They are also very close to Angeles National Forest which has beautiful and very affordable (some campsites are $5) camping.

Once you leave from the LA are I would definitely head up the coast, if you are going from socal to San Fran, you have to take the PCH, no west coast road trip is complete without it. Not only is the scenery amazing, the golf isn't too shabby either. Not far from LA is Lake Casitas, really a must play, then you have Santa Barbara, I really enjoyed Evergreen Open Space, thought it was another great balanced course, the there is Waller Pines in Santa Maria, and then of course Dela, which others have mentioned, in Santa Cruz. Dela is my one regret, don't know how I've been to Cali so many times and haven't played this one yet.

Your trip will be great no matter which courses you play.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2013, 02:56 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Dan, just read this thread and while it didn't sink in last night when you asked, this sounds like a must for me to join you. I'll tentively (assuming that what I told you doesn't interfere) commit to this trip. Sounds like a lot of fun and I'm not getting any younger.

D
Fraser, it would be great to have you join us!

As for everyone else, I will take everyone's advice strongly since you all are the DG community who know the areas and are probably passionate about your local courses like I am. I will revise the trip soon. Thank you so much for your input. I will be happy to meet any of you while we're out on the road!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:11 PM

Courses Played: 32
2006 Road Trip from Vancouver Island Canada

Fri. June 13 Victoria, Pt. Townsend, Sumner Wash. at the Riverbend DGC on the Puyallup River .. Tracy took us around
Sat. June 14 2 Rounds at Pier Park, Portland arrive Estacada evening Sat. June 15 Play Milo McIvor on the Clackamas River Estacada Oregon 27 holes - Par 87 -
drive to Whistler’s Bend Roseburg Sun. June 15 Play W.B. ….. Camp on the S. Umpqua River
Mon . June 16 Play Whistler‘s Bend then drive to San Fran. Stay at Fort Mason Hostel and do World’s ‘Crookedest’ Lombard Street.
Tues. June 17 to Santa Cruz on Hwy. 1, play De La Vega return and play Golden Gate Park San Francisco in the evening.

Wed. June 18 Played Stafford Lake, Novato par 59 #9 1049’ camp Napa Bothe Park it has pool & it was hot.
Thurs. June 19 Play Oroville on the Feather River needed swim after - very hot ….go to Chico played 5 holes after we found it
Friday June 2oth after putting a shift at he Last Call Bar got up and played Chico - had a great cool down swim in Big Chico Creek pool at Bidwell Park. Drive to Weed and
played College of the Siskiyous with Ken and Bret, camped on the Klamath River had lightning and fires started.
Sat. June 21 Played 54 holes Tom Pearce Park on the Rogue River, Grants Pass …. played 18 at Dexter at Eugene …. And 18 at Adair in Corvallis Oregon ………
camped at Champoeg State Park on the Willamette River Oregon
Sunday June 21st played the 15 hole course with Dwayne who showed us around. We then drove to Seattle and played the Sea-Tac course teed off at
6:30pm finished at 8:30 and headed for the border
….. Crossed at 11:30 and were home by midnight ……… all tuckered out but we had our fill of Disc Golf.
4400Km’s driven and 302 holes played.

Have a Great Trip !! Lots of Fun and beer's cheap !!

Last edited by Dieno; 01-06-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
Sounds like fun, but I agree with some of these posts in regard to your NorCal trip. Santa Cruz is a must. Not only for some disc golf, but you really get a good taste of northern cal and the beach scene. Heck it's about the only area you can swin in the ocean up this way lol!
GGP, Stafford, and Skyline are great as well. Going to the central valley, Shady Oaks is a fun course. Since they have "cleaned" up the area. There is noooo waiting around to throw. Rocklins cool, but you won't miss anything if you pass it up. Auburn, Condon, and Penn Valley are very nice courses and are only 20 or so min. apart. If you have the time. Hitting up Tahoe is a must. Zepher and Bejou should be playable in spring? but I would check with a local for that info. Ski resort courses sound nice, but the one I did play (Crystal Mtn.) was not that fun. The biggest bummer I found. Was you are unable to have a run up on your 2nd or 3rd shots, because of all the loose gravel and rocks on the slopes. So I would stick to the vallley courses if you go to Tahoe.
Have a great time and I'd be happy to show you around GGP for a few rounds.

Peace!

Last edited by Rescue; 01-07-2013 at 03:33 PM.