Disc Golf Center
Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 24
USDGC course at Rock Hill is one way to really quickly separate the men from the boys. It looks easy in person/DVD's but the first time I played that course, it royally kicked my butt big time. I threw nothing but OB's at 17 before I finally figured out and it is still not easy. My best score was like 78 (2011 rules) and the course record was 53! Holy Cow!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcBeth View Post
I say a bullseye type basket but bigsky and others keep calling me dumb... Whats your opinion?

Take it to the ask MJ thread!

I kid, I kid...
Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Eagle Member

I would say leave the basket alone but making the greens tougher (slopes, obstacles etc...).
Old 01-07-2013, 05:43 PM
.:2X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 811rv View Post
I would say leave the basket alone but making the greens tougher (slopes, obstacles etc...).
You have to realize not all courses have that luxury.... Look at florida flat as can be.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:44 PM
.:2X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Have you ever seen Cam Todd's basket? They are similar to a bullseye and he claims in his backyard he has never had a cut through in 10 years of using it.

Putting has got to tougher for this sport to progress. But also, good putts have to go in and stay in.
No I've heard stories about it though... Thats we he is such a elite player.... Back home I have to putt on those old dga baskets that have 2 cut throughs every round
Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 113
I believe the easiest solution would be for the PDGA to expand the list of allowable disc-catching devices for competitive play. Legalize Cam's basket and the Bullseye. Then, it becomes a design feature for the course designer, increasing variety and difficulty on the course.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Eagle Member

Selah Ranch is defintely one of prime dg courses in the country and they charge $20 daily for unlimited play. Let say average of 20 players play in that course everyday for whole year, then the annual gross would be $146,000 which is nice. I believe the maintenance expenses are not bad such as regular mowing (not like ball golf's manicured greens). Would be great time to turn that broke 9-hole ball golf course into world class dg course and make decent money that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett View Post
I'm late jumping into this thread, as well, but I agree with many here in that we as a sport need to get over the relative 'ease' of disc golf putting compared to that of ball golf. Yes, statistically a 'scratch' disc golfer is a better putter than their ball golf equivalent, and this does cause some complications with hole design and scoring spread, but these aren't reasons why disc golf isn't 'taken seriously'. In general, players are very happy with the fact that disc golf is technically easier than ball golf. The accessibility of the sport is a great appeal. Related to that accessibility, however, is in my opinion what it really comes down to: money.

For example, look at the difference in courses between ball golf and even the most-expensive pay-to-play disc golf courses. I've been doing some researching into a local municipal ball golf course in financial troubles that disc golfers would *love* to get their hands on, so I have some statistics to work with.. for example, I know that the previous operators of the ball golf course spent ~$500,000 on landscaping, and ~$20,000 annually on watering. They have a dining facility, with catering available.. and a local 'pro' instructor on-staff, with a salary of ~$120,000. Yes, this little 9-hole course revolves around an annual operating budget in the ~$500,000 range.. and the course isn't really anything special. Imagine for a moment, if disc golf courses operated with the same kind of budget. When disc golf course operators can bring in $500,000 per year (gross), *that's* when disc golf will be 'taken seriously'.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
I say a bullseye type basket but bigsky and others keep calling me dumb... Whats your opinion?
I have never once called you dumb, or even hinted at it. You must be confusing me with somebody else.

I don't think that using Bullseye targets would be cost effective. And as a Rec player, I don't want to putt on a Bullseye. That's a far cry from saying you're dumb.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
You have to realize not all courses have that luxury.... Look at florida flat as can be.
But in Florida you can do this:

Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
True but at least put basket around bushes, trees, foliage and the like.