#491  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:36 PM
smyith's Avatar
smyith smyith is offline
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett View Post
You are contradicting yourself here:

Sentence #1: "The putting is the biggest criticism by sports organizations and broadcast stations." - this mindset coming from 'sports organizations' and 'broadcast stations' is because *they* are comparing disc golf with ball golf.

Sentence #2: "No one is trying to change this into BG" - yes, the above sports organizations and broadcast stations, because their background is from ball golf, are indeed trying to "change this into BG".
your assumption is that they are comparing it to BG. putting from inside the circle is not hard...thats just practice to get to 80+%. i think they are concerned with marketability not making it BG. what would be more exciting to watch, someone canning a 30' putt into a basket barely the width of the disc or into one of the current baskets?
think about basketball instead, how big is the rim compared to the ball? its a fair comparison because you can't goal tend and these days nobody plays defense. if the rim was almost 3 times the size of the ball would basketball be as entertaining to watch?
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #492  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 PM
smyith's Avatar
smyith smyith is offline
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett View Post
I don't really follow you here. Are you wanting the 'par' numbers rewritten to always reflect gold-level play, or are you wanting more actual gold-level courses?
both...especially the latter. really there is only a need for course par not hole by hole par. this I remind you is only for competitive play. and the PDGA could finally update their site and make it so that current members could look up the SSA of any course. Terms and Conditions can be required that you don't try and steal their info....lol.
Reply With Quote
  #493  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Bonks's Avatar
Bonks Bonks is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NKY
Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
your assumption is that they are comparing it to BG. putting from inside the circle is not hard...thats just practice to get to 80+%. i think they are concerned with marketability not making it BG. what would be more exciting to watch, someone canning a 30' putt into a basket barely the width of the disc or into one of the current baskets?
think about basketball instead, how big is the rim compared to the ball? its a fair comparison because you can't goal tend and these days nobody plays defense. if the rim was almost 3 times the size of the ball would basketball be as entertaining to watch?
Here is the thing, you can go to a lot of parks around the country and see guys can three after three like they could play in the NBA. Does that actually mean they're overall game is good enough to play in the NBA? I don't think I need to give you an answer on that one. You have many guys in church leagues that think they could play in the NBA if just given that chance, well we have disc golfers that are the same way and making the baskets smaller isn't changing their stupidity.
Reply With Quote
  #494  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:48 PM
DGstatistician DGstatistician is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here?
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Yes, longer/higher SSA courses do that. The discussion about putting challenge is primarily about how to get our par and scoring closer to reduce the amount of throws under par thrown by our top players. It likely will but not necessarily increase the scoring spread between Pro & Joe.
Scoring under par is a meaningless number in disc golf as it is in bg. Golf courses have ratings (similar to disc golf), that show what a scratch golfer would shoot. It has nothing to do with par. Simply put; every hole could be a par 4 or par 2 and it would have no bearing on the results of any competition. You are trying to fix something for the sake of having something to do... If you want top players to shoot par, change the par on the course (crazy concept).
Reply With Quote
  #495  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is online now
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 591
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,932
Note: I'm not trying to fix it. I'm indicating ways it could be done for those who think that's an issue. I would like to see the basket catch more consistently whether the current size or smaller.
Reply With Quote
  #496  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 PM
smyith's Avatar
smyith smyith is offline
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonks View Post
Here is the thing, you can go to a lot of parks around the country and see guys can three after three like they could play in the NBA. Does that actually mean they're overall game is good enough to play in the NBA? I don't think I need to give you an answer on that one. You have many guys in church leagues that think they could play in the NBA if just given that chance, well we have disc golfers that are the same way and making the baskets smaller isn't changing their stupidity.
haha...thats what you take from it. all wrong.
no, what I am saying is that with practice anyone can become above average....hence the 80% remark. to be truly at the top level it takes the intangible (like i said many posts back). talk to any professional scout, they are always looking for the intangible.
Reply With Quote
  #497  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Bonks's Avatar
Bonks Bonks is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NKY
Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
haha...thats what you take from it. all wrong.
no, what I am saying is that with practice anyone can become above average....hence the 80% remark. to be truly at the top level it takes the intangible (like i said many posts back). talk to any professional scout, they are always looking for the intangible.
Yeah, when you make statements how am I supposed to take some different from it? So we need to change the game to see intangibles? When people start practicing on bullseyes baskets and get better at putting, are we going to change the basket again?

Like I said, if people can't see the difference between pros and even local pros, they're either on acid or incredibly ignorant.
Reply With Quote
  #498  
Old 01-07-2013, 09:01 PM
BigSky's Avatar
BigSky BigSky is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGstatistician View Post
Scoring under par is a meaningless number in disc golf as it is in bg. Golf courses have ratings (similar to disc golf), that show what a scratch golfer would shoot. It has nothing to do with par. Simply put; every hole could be a par 4 or par 2 and it would have no bearing on the results of any competition.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #499  
Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 PM
WhiteyBear's Avatar
WhiteyBear WhiteyBear is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Courses Played: 25
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGstatistician View Post
Scoring under par is a meaningless number in disc golf as it is in bg. Golf courses have ratings (similar to disc golf), that show what a scratch golfer would shoot. It has nothing to do with par. Simply put; every hole could be a par 4 or par 2 and it would have no bearing on the results of any competition. You are trying to fix something for the sake of having something to do... If you want top players to shoot par, change the par on the course (crazy concept).
Meaningless number? Par tells part of the story, just like strokes.

Using par as a measuring stick is also far more advantages in score-keeping and real-time updating.

There are also historical records relative to par. And not all pars are 72 in the PGA.

If you think that there is no relative bearing on par being in a competition, you must not know the par+4 rule either.

Not attacking you, just putting in my input.
Reply With Quote
 

  #500  
Old 01-07-2013, 09:10 PM
mashnut's Avatar
mashnut mashnut is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Temecula, CA
Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 816
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 13,966
Par and scoring spread can also inform good hole design. If you set par in a consistent and meaningful way, looking at the number of birdies/pars/bogies on a hole and on the course can be valuable information.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.