Old 11-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
I can also say, as an old time object golf player; that object play often leads to hitting the object at the base; because this is the easiest way to hit the target; and allows the ground to help you. i.e. you can land a few feet away at the base and still skip into the target. Ground baskets are the same and take a large degree of skill away from the putting aspect.
So true. when I started playing on baskets I had to change my whole game and learn new skills. I wouldn't mind a hole like that every now and then though.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
I can also say, as an old time object golf player; that object play often leads to hitting the object at the base; because this is the easiest way to hit the target; and allows the ground to help you. i.e. you can land a few feet away at the base and still skip into the target. Ground baskets are the same and take a large degree of skill away from the putting aspect.
this was pretty much what i was going to say. elevated baskets are also gimmicky, but still leaves it up to the player's skill. ground baskets such as thhe photo of trophy lakes do not look fun. maybe the first time it would be ok but would very much hope baskets stay raised
Old 11-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 453
Throwing Style: LHFH
I see it as what it takes from putting it adds to approaches. As it stands now you have to either go for it and if you miss your still putting or lay up for the easy putt. with GTs that lay up is going for it, making the approach more exciting. On the other hand it might just make getting birdie easier.

Last edited by gottafixit; 11-19-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:48 AM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinjack View Post
For what it's worth, it just ain't that cool. It doesn't do anything to change the way you play the hole, when compared to a "normal" basket. I'm sure it's more work to maintain, and (very minor gripe) it sucks having to reach down and get your disc out of a hole. It's a silly gimmick that doesn't actually accomplish anything in regards to play.
It eliminates the most boring shot in dg. The no-brainer 60 footer. There's a range around 50-150' that skill at that range rarely gains strokes. How many strokes are gained or lost from 80' among top pros? I don't think it's a lot.

Currently, there's no difference between a sub-par approach that lands 10' away and a superb approach that's pinned. Seems like an accomplishment in regards to play if a superb approach gains a stroke on a sub-par approach.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 78
Embshoff Woods

Hey, D. How's it going?

This isn't exactly what you're talking about, but Embshoff Woods in Cincinnati has a couple baskets that are basically sitting on the ground. It would eliminate the roller and slide in shots. But it definitely changes your perspective on the putt.

I'm, in general, not a huge fan of elevated or ground baskets. On a super flat course, though, either type (raised or ground) could give you a different perspective on putting and force you to learn to putt high and/or low. On a hilly course, I prefer a standard basket placed on a slope. This way you have the opportunity to putt from above or below he basket, depending on your lie. And it also forces you to be careful with your approaches to help eliminate roll-aways.

Later! Jim

Old 01-12-2013, 10:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
gimmicky like putt putt imo.
This. Might be interesting to try once but would not want to do this on a regular basis. It would get really annoying to have a basket like this on my home course.