Old 01-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHFH
Comments appreciated! Backhand throw review.

I have been playing for 4 months now, and thought a lil advice on here would be nice. I just did a couple shots with my backhand. I am primarily a flick/forehand thrower.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JwWIdqyqXW0
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Bogey Member

Talking

Hopefully I embedded this right, thanks for the advice all!

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:52 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 213
you drop really quickly from your reach back to your pull. your pull is down by your abs.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Bogey Member

Thanks Prerube, I'll work on that!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 78
Couple of thoughts:

1. You pack a lot of your throw into a short amount of space (reach back to release) I think this may be due to walking toward your target with your shoulders square to it for so long. Try starting parrallel to your target and gettting into you reachback sooner. Remember to keep the reachback relaxed and smooth and slow, and don't use your effort and speed until the disc is moving forward past your chest.

2. I would work on staying balanced after your release and pivoting on your front foot instead of falling forward. This will allow your follow through to fully be effective.

3. You do have an athletic movement and fairly smooth throw, so that should help in the long run.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:22 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post

3. You do have an athletic movement and fairly smooth throw, so that should help in the long run.
This
I just watched videos of myself from 2 years ago and your form in 6 months is much further along than my form after 3 years of playing. I was a very slow learner, you seem to be picking this up very nicely.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 189
Throwing Style: RHBH
You are not pulling across your chest (your way away from you body on your pull through this is called windmilling)......Your reach back actually isn't that bad, but thats where it starts to fall apart. You need to stay up right (keeping your centers of gravity (head and belly button) stacked through the duration of the throw). You are way too far off balance from the middle of your pull through till your follow through. That is why you fall so far forward after you throw........that is not good. Think of a towel snapping.....What has to happen? The end in your hand needs to come to a stop so the other end can snap. You can't snap a towel if you don't stop the end that you are holding. Its the same thing with your body.....if you don't get your centers of gravity stacked and your forward momentum stopped then guess what? Your arm wont snap. Right now you are just muscling the disc, and some people can still throw 350-400ish making these same mistakes.

Right now since you are new to the game, I would focus on throwing with no run up at all. Get that down....then add a one step then 2 then a three step. You don't need a run up to throw far in this game, that is a common misconception.

Im sure sidewinder 22 will get on here shortly with some links with people talking about form
Old 01-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 189
Throwing Style: RHBH
Also try to keep your left leg on the ground as long as you possibly can. When you pull and follow through. This will help with your balance. I would also recommend throwing with your left arm in your pocket (your shoulder turn will increase right away) This will help you get used to keeping your left arm tucked close to you where it should be. Your shoulders are too open now when you pull through
Old 01-13-2013, 12:26 AM
Bogey Member

Thanks all! I really appreciate the tips!! Going to be working on the things you mentioned.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 106
You are throwing yourself around out of balance. You need to slow down and focus on hip rotation and core torque from the ground. Your swing planes are all over the place because your spine and hips are moving greatly throughout the throw. Watch the finish and how balanced everything is:

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.