Old 01-07-2013, 06:43 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 813
Throwing Style: RHBH
Here's a map of one layout I played with 18 disc golf holes on 9 golf holes. You basically follow the same routing, though the disc golf holes often tee off in front of the ball golf tees, and our holes are shorter overall. There is one tee and one pin on each side of the fairway, offering 4 different 9 hole layouts and 36 different shots overall. I thought it worked fairly well, the flow was pretty good with longer walks for disc golfers but slightly quicker play.

The yellow dots are disc golf tees, the red dots are baskets:
Old 01-14-2013, 05:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 86
I can tell you that on a smaller par 3 course like Verdugo Hills, the ball golfers and disc golfers play at just about the same speed. What is the BG par of the course you have to work with?

DeBell is a tiny 9 hole that is played mostly by families and recreational golfers. Again, they maintain about the same pace if they are only playing one ball, which is rare. To me the style of DG course you create should be dictated by the crowd already using the course.

Last edited by Danger; 01-14-2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.3
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
I can tell you that on a smaller par 3 course like Verdugo Hills, the ball golfers and disc golfers play at just about the same speed. What is the BG par of the course you have to work with?

DeBell is a tiny 9 hole that is played mostly by families and recreational golfers. Again, they maintain about the same pace if they are only playing one ball, which is rare. To me the style of DG course you create should be dictated by the crowd already using the course.
One set of tees is 36 and the other is 35. A par 71 ball Gill. That's too long for a Disc Golf par. Learned that lesson when we layer out River Chase. We followed par there and ended up with way too long of a course.

We're getting close to finding out if we will be able to move ahead with this project.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:25 PM
* Ace Member *

I talked with county administrator today. I have a presentation before the board of commissioners Feb 26th.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:01 AM

Courses Played: 1
I've played an 18 hole disc golf course at a bolf country club in Denmark, SC, Crestwood: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/review...=2654&mode=rev

The course was mainly long with not too many other challenges present. It used a lot of area away from the ball course and also some of the ball course. As it was not busy at all, this was not a problem. It might be worth a look to see how they did it. Call first, though, it's been a couple of years since I played it and the latest review is about that old, too. Not sure if it's still in place.

How did the presentation go?
Old 03-23-2013, 01:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 704
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140
I played Crestwood this winter as it was one of the golf/discgolf courses along my route to the East Coast and then north. I was pretty happy with the way they designed things there. It's not a great golf course but it is a decent disc golf course. I feel like they used the open fairways well to add in that all out power type throw but they knew when to tuck a basket against a tree line, under some mature trees, nearby to some water etc.

I am excited about the course I laid out in theory for a local golf course recently and am excited to host a tourney there this season sometime. I cannot do it when they have their bulk of golf being played but am hopeful an October or November weekend would work for them. I hope to bring in 50-100 players on a day in November . . . that is not something a slow golf course should look away from!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: LHBH
I am going to play Forest Hills in a couple weeks, I am excited to play disc golf on a ball golf course for the first time!

Last edited by Disc Fiend; 03-23-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Grammar.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:16 AM
* Ace Member *

My proposal got pushed back. I'm going before the commission next week.