Old 01-14-2013, 12:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.1
Courses Played: 101
Private Course project

Back in August I did a presentation on Disc Golf to a Rotary Club in North Georgia. A week later a retired doctor came to me to tell me how much he enjoyed the presentation. He told me he told his son about Disc Golf and found out his son plays! He asked me to come and tour his property (35 acres) and give him a price to design and install a 9 hole course.

I went out a week later and toured the property. Put together a proposal. Got a verbal confirmation that he would build the course. Then I never heard a thing.

Last week the man contacts me. We're ordering baskets and he wants the course installed and ready to play by mid March.

I've attached a couple of pictures I took last summer of the property. While I'm excited about this project, he did say that the course was just for when his son was visiting and it would only be mowed/maintained for when he was in town. I'm not even sure I'll get to play the course once everything is finalized.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Private 9.jpg (149.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Private 15.jpg (152.9 KB, 66 views)
Old 01-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 147
Throwing Style: RHBH
Beautiful property...lots of potential. I'm sure most of us dream of having a chance to do this some day.

While I'm a noob, I still have a suggestion: unless he's doing this as a surprise, I'd suggest contacting his son, and finding out his skill level and likes/dislikes. Maybe even ask who else might be likely to play (now & in the future). It would be a shame to only (ha!) have amazing pro routes, when the doctor might actually dream of playing with grandkids, or something. Heck, if you're custom tailoring, might as well go all the way! Certainly look for ways to have an 'ideal' course loop plus lots of safari opportunities, to keep it fresh for them!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:09 PM
* Ace Member *

What I've been requested to do with the design is place baskets throughout the property with simple ground markers for tees that can be moved. We're using locking collars and ordering additional sleeves, so baskets can be moved if needed.

My understanding is his son plays regularly and doesn't know. This is a surprise.

There is more than enough land that I feel pretty confident that his son will be able to have alternate tees. Also this being a 100 percent private course, there is no worry about others on the course or worries about potential crossing fairways (however, that isn't in the plan right now) or other worries one might have with a public course.

I'm hoping to put a course together that I would find challenging and that I could play with my boys without them being overly challenged themselves.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 40
Man this is awesome. My best friend in southern Ohio works/lives with two super wealthy doctors. They have like 400 acres in hilly/woody/ even farmland. Would love to talk them into this. Their property looks similar to the pics above.

It would be awesome if you get to tee off with the son for the first round.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefraba1 View Post
Man this is awesome. My best friend in southern Ohio works/lives with two super wealthy doctors. They have like 400 acres in hilly/woody/ even farmland. Would love to talk them into this. Their property looks similar to the pics above.

It would be awesome if you get to tee off with the son for the first round.
I anticipate throwing all the holes before we cement the sleeves in the ground and to throw all the holes before putting the ground markers in. I would also think I would be invited for the first round. It would seem only natural.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Here's a couple of more pictures of the property. For some reason, this site will only allow me to load two pictures at a time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Private 3.jpg (157.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Private 1.jpg (150.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 01-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 147
Man! According to "Field of Dreams", Heaven=Iowa.

...Wrong!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus View Post
Man! According to "Field of Dreams", Heaven=Iowa.

...Wrong!

It really is a nice piece of property. Not sure I would call it a field of dreams. There's a place 6 miles from were this is. The guy that owns it is considering building a pay to play course. He has 90 acres and is looking at doing a Zip Line Adventure Park that would include Disc Golf. That piece of land includes a 30' waterfall, several creeks, a man made lake and lots of elevation changes with a nice mix of pastures and woods. That is my Field of Dreams course location.

I put in a bid for the course design and installation. I'm not sure of the timeline and whether or not he'll be moving forward...but I'm sure hoping it happens...whether or not im involved.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 149
That's one lucky S.O.D.!
Enjoy the project - hope you get to play it at least once. Tell the old man the only way you can be sure the course will play well is to throw the holes a few times with differnt lines - it's certainly true. Only then might you know how you wanna tweak tee/pin locations.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-15-2013 at 11:41 PM.