#1171  
Old 01-22-2013, 02:38 AM
PMcBeth PMcBeth is offline
.:3X World Champion Paul McBeth:.
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_B5932 View Post
This is going to be a semi long post. I was considered one of the top players in california back in the early 90's, my PDGA # is 5932. Today when I hear the top players talk about the sport and where it is heading I keep hearing them say that the Disc Golf is still a young sport. The funny thing is, back when guys like Steve Valencia, Bamba and Steve Rico and myself were young we said the same thing and we all thought the sport had potential to get really big. We were saying that over 20 years ago. Disc Golf is no longer a young sport. We had some big sponsors back then, Budweiser is one of the first ones that come into my mind which sponsored the Bud Light Winter Time open. The sport lost that sponsor and others. Someone once asked me what I thought was the main reason the game would never get as big as others and be broadcast on television stations like ESPN etc. My answer was always the same, drug use by top players on and off the course and drug use by players in general. Many people I talk to still see the game as a hippie game or a game that stoners play. Till this day it still pisses me off to hear it referred to as that. But I see where they are coming from. From a sponsors stand point I would not want to be affiliated with any game or sport that does nothing to at least try and control the issue of drugs in our sport. I cant tell you how many times I went to tournaments and witnessed guys in their cars doing lines and smoking pot. Tournament directors where aware of this and yet never did a single thing about it and I know it still goes on today.Until the PDGA, tournament directors and players take action with this problem I cant see the sport ever gaining the recognition it deserves. My question to you as a top young player on tour is this. If you could correct this problem what steps would you take to do so? How do you think the PDGA should go about dealing with it and would you and other young players be willing to pay a much higher PDGA membership fee which would include a very in depth test on rules of the sport and a drug test. How do you feel about random drug testing throughout the course of a season if the PDGA could afford to do so?
i know it's and issue and i've been a huge supporter or drug testing. I've never touched the stuff including cigs and other smoke related products, I have always cared about my body why poison my lungs or help for a temporary "good" feeling. i know a lot of the younger players feel the same way (Will S. and Ricky W) off the top of my head. You can see how those 2 and myself are pushing the Clean imagne to the best of our ability not to mention we are currently 1-2-3 in the world. I think if we want to be taken seriously the top players should be drug tested. If we want to make it our profession we should lead by example and not just push this "hippie" imagne anymore. I honestly wouldn't allow drugs on my card i won't shy away from informing a TD, Cigs bug me enough i always give Feldberg a hard time everytime he pulls one out. I'm with you 100% on this issue.
Sponsored Links
  #1172  
Old 01-22-2013, 02:39 AM
PMcBeth PMcBeth is offline
.:3X World Champion Paul McBeth:.
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by techn9cian4life View Post
Franks Red Hot.. do you put that sh*t on every thing?...... sorry, I'm bored.
no just burritos and potatos
  #1173  
Old 01-22-2013, 03:39 AM
techn9cian4life's Avatar
techn9cian4life techn9cian4life is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boise, Idaho
Courses Played: 7
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcBeth View Post
i know it's and issue and i've been a huge supporter or drug testing. I've never touched the stuff including cigs and other smoke related products, I have always cared about my body why poison my lungs or help for a temporary "good" feeling. i know a lot of the younger players feel the same way (Will S. and Ricky W) off the top of my head. You can see how those 2 and myself are pushing the Clean imagne to the best of our ability not to mention we are currently 1-2-3 in the world. I think if we want to be taken seriously the top players should be drug tested. If we want to make it our profession we should lead by example and not just push this "hippie" imagne anymore. I honestly wouldn't allow drugs on my card i won't shy away from informing a TD, Cigs bug me enough i always give Feldberg a hard time everytime he pulls one out. I'm with you 100% on this issue.
A LOT of DGers smoke.. me included.. but if I'm with a group of guys I dont know/have never played with, I always ask first before lighting one. Just common courtesy IMO. I also have a plastic baggie for my cigarette butts that I keep in one of the pockets on my bag and when that gets full I just throw it away. When I played baseball for Boise State University I used to get sh*t all the time for smoking.. about how bad it is for me.... as the person who was giving me sh*t, had a fat dip in their mouth Lol Always found that funny.
  #1174  
Old 01-22-2013, 11:16 AM
DannyThunders's Avatar
DannyThunders DannyThunders is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Orange , CA
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 1,252
What about people using electronic cigarettes / advanced personal vaporizers to quit?
  #1175  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:41 PM
PMcBeth PMcBeth is offline
.:3X World Champion Paul McBeth:.
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by techn9cian4life View Post
A LOT of DGers smoke.. me included.. but if I'm with a group of guys I dont know/have never played with, I always ask first before lighting one. Just common courtesy IMO. I also have a plastic baggie for my cigarette butts that I keep in one of the pockets on my bag and when that gets full I just throw it away. When I played baseball for Boise State University I used to get sh*t all the time for smoking.. about how bad it is for me.... as the person who was giving me sh*t, had a fat dip in their mouth Lol Always found that funny.
I know a lot of people smoke in general, I believe golf allows it but there is a reason you don't see John Daly on T.V. anymore because they don't film him at event because he is always smoking. I'm glad you have courtesy when you do it.
  #1176  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:43 PM
_MTL_ _MTL_ is offline
I think I'm important
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,947
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcBeth View Post
I know a lot of people smoke in general, I believe golf allows it but there is a reason you don't see John Daly on T.V. anymore because they don't film him at event because he is always smoking. I'm glad you have courtesy when you do it.
Correct - allowed on the PGA Tour.
  #1177  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:44 PM
PMcBeth PMcBeth is offline
.:3X World Champion Paul McBeth:.
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyThunders View Post
What about people using electronic cigarettes / advanced personal vaporizers to quit?
If you can't go 18 holes without it I think you should hold out from playing events until that person can. I'm all for helping people quit but if you don't think you can hold off for 1 round at a time I say just wait till you know you can
  #1178  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:45 PM
PMcBeth PMcBeth is offline
.:3X World Champion Paul McBeth:.
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Correct - allowed on the PGA Tour.
Thanks i knew it wasn't just a rumor.
  #1179  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:58 PM
tomdizzlefizzle tomdizzlefizzle is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_B5932 View Post
This is going to be a semi long post. I was considered one of the top players in california back in the early 90's, my PDGA # is 5932. Today when I hear the top players talk about the sport and where it is heading I keep hearing them say that the Disc Golf is still a young sport. The funny thing is, back when guys like Steve Valencia, Bamba and Steve Rico and myself were young we said the same thing and we all thought the sport had potential to get really big. We were saying that over 20 years ago. Disc Golf is no longer a young sport. We had some big sponsors back then, Budweiser is one of the first ones that come into my mind which sponsored the Bud Light Winter Time open. The sport lost that sponsor and others. Someone once asked me what I thought was the main reason the game would never get as big as others and be broadcast on television stations like ESPN etc. My answer was always the same, drug use by top players on and off the course and drug use by players in general. Many people I talk to still see the game as a hippie game or a game that stoners play. Till this day it still pisses me off to hear it referred to as that. But I see where they are coming from. From a sponsors stand point I would not want to be affiliated with any game or sport that does nothing to at least try and control the issue of drugs in our sport. I cant tell you how many times I went to tournaments and witnessed guys in their cars doing lines and smoking pot. Tournament directors where aware of this and yet never did a single thing about it and I know it still goes on today.Until the PDGA, tournament directors and players take action with this problem I cant see the sport ever gaining the recognition it deserves. My question to you as a top young player on tour is this. If you could correct this problem what steps would you take to do so? How do you think the PDGA should go about dealing with it and would you and other young players be willing to pay a much higher PDGA membership fee which would include a very in depth test on rules of the sport and a drug test. How do you feel about random drug testing throughout the course of a season if the PDGA could afford to do so?

So dgers should find a way to create a cleaner image so budwieser will sponser events? Someone had to say it. I agree and disagree. I have recently been playing with the pros at events and I don't see drugs with any of those guys. Its all in the intermediate /advance divisions were its guys that work hard all week(are not trying to make a profession) and want to enjoy there weekend. All I see is pot for the most part and pro athletes in almost every sport do that occasionnally(more then you think). I like that the pdga is not like the nfl or pga. I maybe a hippie I guess
 

  #1180  
Old 01-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Buchajs1 Buchajs1 is online now
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 498
What do you think is the best disc that is understable and has a lot of glide
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.