Old 01-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Birdie Member

Not as viable as an option as a crane came, sky cam, blimp, and stabilized cameras on an individual. A nice piece of the puzzle, but far from an "answer". Has a move cinematic look to it for promotional purposes than to actual watch an event.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteyBear View Post
Not as viable as an option as a crane came, sky cam, blimp, and stabilized cameras on an individual. A nice piece of the puzzle, but far from an "answer". Has a move cinematic look to it for promotional purposes than to actual watch an event.
wtf are you babbling about? have you seen the video on page one done by flyboy?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 60
Right. How is a blimp viable for disc golf?

As of now we got a number of folks working on theses flying cameras. Any blimp hobbiests stopping by tourneys?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 155
Quote:
I'm far from an expert (or even novice for that matter) with regards to video production, but to film disc golf effectively, wouldn't you want a set-up that can be moved from one hole to another quickly and easily? Is that the case with the methods you mentioned? Serious question, cause I honestly don't know, but to my layperson ears, they sound like they'd be a bit cumbersome. Seems like an RC copter fits that bill pretty well. If I'm mistaken, so be it - maybe they would be better alternatives.

While a stabilized camera on a a person might be highly transportable, I dont think they'd be able to track the action in flight with the same "following along with the disc" type of effect. Just my thoughts - I could be wrong.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 200
Kelly pulled that out during the flyboy meet up. He has used that camera to video tape other things, but that is his business, so I will let him decide what to share.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
wtf are you babbling about? have you seen the video on page one done by flyboy?
Yes, I see a ton of moving shots that looked great, but didn't not reinvent the wheel, nor are superior to the other options I listed. It is an additional option, not a game changer. It's designed for cinematography, not following a disc, baseball, football, whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cco_FlRU5GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I'm far from an expert (or even novice for that matter) with regards to video production, but to film disc golf effectively, wouldn't you want a set-up that can be moved from one hole to another quickly and easily? Is that the case with the methods you mentioned? Serious question, cause I honestly don't know, but to my layperson ears, they sound like they'd be a bit cumbersome. Seems like an RC copter fits that bill pretty well. If I'm mistaken, so be it - maybe they would be better alternatives.

While a stabilized camera on a a person might be highly transportable, I dont think they'd be able to track the action in flight with the same "following along with the disc" type of effect. Just my thoughts - I could be wrong.
The PGA does an excellent job with it's footage, and has a much higher speed and distance to deal with than we'll ever reach throwing an object. Their "follow-cameras" on blimps can zoom in on a ball after it is struck and follow the entire course of it's flight. There is also a "ball tracker" that highlights the flight of the ball and it's trajectory. The heli-cam can do neither with disc golf. It is a cool angle, a nice additional piece of the puzzle, but it will not revolutionize the game. Suspended cable cameras would be a much better option, but the underlying problem is cost, placement, and interference with the flight. You are better to set up high cranes with nice cameras and follow holes in specific locations.

Again, lastly, it's awesome piece of tech, but it's def not something that's going to cause an explosion in disc golf. You need more cameras and strategy than just that.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:58 PM

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 21
Here is the stabilized video from just the front camera. Winds were gusting upwards of 30MPH. I will get out this weekend and shoot some more. I want to start flying forward over the teepad, catch the release of a disc and follow it all the way down to the basket. Then circle the basket, while keeping it in the field of view. The first ace I catch will be EPIC!

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 122
Send a message via AIM to New013
not designed to follow the disc but follows the disc very well....

hmmm. excellent logic you have there.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Their "follow-cameras" on blimps can zoom in on a ball after it is struck and follow the entire course of it's flight. There is also a "ball tracker" that highlights the flight of the ball and it's trajectory. The heli-cam can do neither with disc golf.
With what he showed below, looks like he can follow an open field upshot pretty well. So my statement above def isn't sound. Still, a good addition to the options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNP1974 View Post
Here is the stabilized video from just the front camera. Winds were gusting upwards of 30MPH. I will get out this weekend and shoot some more. I want to start flying forward over the teepad, catch the release of a disc and follow it all the way down to the basket. Then circle the basket, while keeping it in the field of view. The first ace I catch will be EPIC!

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Pretty cool video, you need to install an attachment that can grab your buddies beers while they are turned away.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
not designed to follow the disc but follows the disc very well....

hmmm. excellent logic you have there.
You seem to be missing my point. This isn't what's going to cause an boom in DG. I can easily concede (and I did) that the right apparatus and flier can do said task, however, I find it humorous to think that the future of DG is dependent on a swarm of buzzing helis flying all over NT events.