Old 01-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 25
As a TD, you're always trying to balance player's pack with payout with extras.

In the end I think what keeps people coming back is that they find value in their entry fee. Value comes from something different for everybody, so I try to put on the best tournament with the best environment.

It will be best for everybody if one day "payout" goes away. This is something the PDGA should force on events. This would allow for TD's to focus on less things and allow a focus on bringing in more sponsors and events.

But, as a TD, i can't justifying changing to a trophy only event yet. There is a chance that turnout will be low as it's a "strange" thing to do. It's almost a death sentence to do trophy only at the moment.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 67
I honestly think players packs should be done away with at everything below an A tier.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swisher Streets View Post
I honestly think players packs should be done away with at everything below an A tier.
What's your reasoning?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 124
Throwing Style: RHBH
Only about half of the tournaments I have played in offered a players pack, but yet I still sign up for most tournaments without considering the cost. To me the tournament atmosphere is worth my $20-$30. If there is a players pack that is an added bonus. Trophies are another thing that seem to be a rarity at most tournaments I go to, at least from what I have noticed.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
I don't see it this way at all. I am more than happy to pay a lot more than $25 entry and have no players pack whatsoever as long as:

The course is high quality
The tournament is ran well
There are enough competitors to warrent the amount required for entry
The competitors are high quality and competitive
There are appropriate trophies
The payouts are an appropriate amount of cash

So for a tour 20 man tournament on an average course with a low level of competition relative to an A-tier, I would enjoy the tournament most if it was a 10-15$ entry with maybe some small plaques and a cash payout to maybe the top 4.

If it is a charity or fund raising tournament all of that is out the window.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
I do think players should get a memento as part of the experience. It doesn't need to be more than a t-shirt or towel with the tournament's logo, though a custom stamped disc is nice. I also agree that for Ams, a trophy is sufficient reward for a top three finish in their division.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolfbandit View Post
I get that, but to what degree. I know you have a choice to play or not to play, but when there is not much else going on in town sometimes you either play or be left out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolfbandit View Post
...TDs are free to charge whatever they see fit with zero accountability and if you dont like it, just miss it and look for a better job or something
TD's do the work, they can run it how they want. If they run a great event, people will come to their events. If they perform poorly, then it opens the door for someone else to run a better event and put them "out of business".

If there is not much else going on in town, then (A): The TD/club is doing good enough that no one wants to compete with them or (B): No TD/club wants to step up to the plate, do all the work, get no/little money in return.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:22 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashammer View Post
I don't understand playing in a tourney only to get your money back, if you win. I would just go buy a new disc with my 20 and go hit the course.
Then tournaments aren't for you. I strongly believe that TDs should be compensated for all the time and effort they put into organizing events, and players should expect much less of their money to go into what amounts to a gambling pool. If we make the TD position one that doesn't require a ton of uncompensated hours and work just so that players can complain about trivial stuff, maybe we'd have more and better events. Instead, we expect TDs to lose money just so that the 18th place intermediate player gets to take home some extra plastic.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:33 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 188
I always felt that nice players packs for ams w/ trophy only for 1-3 in adv should be the way of the future. Players in int or below get their money's worth from the player pack and if they want a trophy they should be competing with the best am's to recieve one. Pro's get no players pack and play for money w/ a trophy for 1-3. The thought of payouts/trophies for rec, novice, int, etc. seems absolutely ridiculous. That is like getting a ribbon for 10th place.

And TD's should for sure get compensated for their time based on a certain percentage based off pdga standards (c tier vs a tier)

Old 01-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Stengele View Post
I always felt that nice players packs for ams w/ trophy only for 1-3 in adv should be the way of the future. Players in int or below get their money's worth from the player pack and if they want a trophy they should be competing with the best am's to recieve one. Pro's get no players pack and play for money w/ a trophy for 1-3. The thought of payouts/trophies for rec, novice, int, etc. seems absolutely ridiculous. That is like getting a ribbon for 10th place.
I totally agree. I moved to advanced because I felt silly competing in int. Whenever I won, it really meant nothing.