Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
My guess on the leopard flipping is that it's probably a combination of things - too light for your power, a little oat, and the disc has lost some stability. I don't throw my leopards anymore for these same reasons. If you like the leopard get one in better plastic and higher weight that should reduce the flip but you'll still likely need some hyzer given leopards HSS.

As for when to move up - if higher speed discs are not going any further and are less predictable you're not ready for them. It's not just about distance - without snap you'll hit a wall at around 350' regardless of disc speed rating. I bought a bunch of speed 13s early on and they don't go any further than my 9/10s so I don't use them. If the Valk/Archon (9/11) are only giving you at most another 50' over Buzzz/Leopard (4/6) you may not be ready yet.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: LHBH
I'd say my most consistent lines right now (other than my Buzzz/Roc combo) I'm getting out of my Champion Eagle.

I've never tried it on the course, though.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 38
Keep throwing the Eagle. That was my go-to driver my first few years...I found it to be very predictable and a great disc to learn with. Eventually it will lead you into being comfortable with something a bit faster like an Orc. The Valkyrie or Leopard in Champ or Star plastics are both good choices for understable drivers. You should also check out a Teebird at some point...
Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Birdie Member

So I spent a lot of time reading about OAT today, and I found a pretty substantial flaw in my grip. (I wasn't gripping quite on the seam of my hand, which was leading to me turning my wrist over too much)

After changing that, the disc is much easier for me to control. That corrects some of my oating tendency, but I'll have to keep practicing that.

Still liking the Eagle, but I'm going to try and back off the drivers for a bit while I work on strait mid range lines.

Definitely appreciate the help, guys!

I know some of these things would easily be spotted by someone who knows what they're doing, but me and my friends are all starting from scratch together. The only person I know who's any good is my brother and I don't think he has "correct" form anyway. He's just naturally athletic and is really good at compensating.

Last edited by MrDarkHorse; 01-24-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:20 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
^^^
Everything they said
and you might enjoy an Opto River 170ish
Old 01-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDarkHorse View Post
I know some of these things would easily be spotted by someone who knows what they're doing, but me and my friends are all starting from scratch together. The only person I know who's any good is my brother and I don't think he has "correct" form anyway. He's just naturally athletic and is really good at compensating.
I would imagine this is how most of us started as well. I don't know many people who start out playing with a pro or someone with perfect form.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Birdie Member

Wow. Had my best round ever today. Correcting my grip made a huge difference, and on the fourth hole the lightbulb went on for how to correct my bad shoulder rotation.

From the 4th hole on, I played +2 on an 18 hole course, which for me is a big deal. (I was +3 on the first 3 holes cause I kept oating to the left)

Also, starting on about hole 7, I just started putting with my Z Buzzz. Is that stupid? I've just decided that I hate my Aviar putters. Cheap plastic and they just seem hard to control.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Wizard, so I may get one of those.