* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergdawg View Post
How's Chains coming, Jtacoma?
Your guess is as good as mine.

Happy new year. I hope everything's well with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
It is funny how many of us know and just can not say anything. I hope Keens taste good because some people are going to be pulling their feet out of their mouths.
Not really going to need to. I don't really get the sense that you understand the discussion here, your last couple of posts have given off that vibe.

I'll give a quick recap.
-A really cool dead thread was revived, I got to see a video I missed a year ago when it was originally posted here.
-Much optimism for revolutionary new disc golf tourney filming technique was abound
-One person noted that while it's cool and situationally useful, it might not necessarily re-define disc golf videography as we know it.
-New013 trolled this user, as he is wont to do, without much knowledge of said subject (the logistics or methods of filming golf).
-It looked to me like a newer user was being post-count-bullied when all he was doing was offering an alternative, non-combative point of view, so I spoke up on his behalf. (DGCR is rampant with group-think, and it's unfortunate because the real-life demographic of the users is really diverse).
-You came in, thinking I'm talking about the camera-copter, and proceeded to post taking up for New, yet not really posting anything relevant to the conversation between said troll and I.

Again, I really think this innovative, low-budget aerial cinematography is awesome and can be an asset to people wanting to diversify disc golf content. I sincerely hope that innovation like this continues...in fact if the person operating the copter is reading this hit me up, I'd love to pick your brain regarding shooting efficiency and difficulty with this technique.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Your guess is as good as mine.

Happy new year. I hope everything's well with you!

Not really going to need to. I don't really get the sense that you understand the discussion here, your last couple of posts have given off that vibe.

I'll give a quick recap.
-A really cool dead thread was revived, I got to see a video I missed a year ago when it was originally posted here.
-Much optimism for revolutionary new disc golf tourney filming technique was abound
-One person noted that while it's cool and situationally useful, it might not necessarily re-define disc golf videography as we know it.
-New013 trolled this user, as he is wont to do, without much knowledge of said subject (the logistics or methods of filming golf).
-It looked to me like a newer user was being post-count-bullied when all he was doing was offering an alternative, non-combative point of view, so I spoke up on his behalf. (DGCR is rampant with group-think, and it's unfortunate because the real-life demographic of the users is really diverse).
-You came in, thinking I'm talking about the camera-copter, and proceeded to post taking up for New, yet not really posting anything relevant to the conversation between said troll and I.

Again, I really think this innovative, low-budget aerial cinematography is awesome and can be an asset to people wanting to diversify disc golf content. I sincerely hope that innovation like this continues...in fact if the person operating the copter is reading this hit me up, I'd love to pick your brain regarding shooting efficiency and difficulty with this technique.
Have seen some adventure sport shoots were they had to use some sort of copter cam. I doubt they were using a helicopter in the mountains of Nepal so I guess they were using something similar to this. It has practical applications and it's the same thing as the eye in the sky in football stadiums except not on a fixed tether. I've been amazed at how smooth it is though, I would love to see what the stabilizer looks like on it.

Jttacoma can you at least admit that Chains, and Pro Worlds is never going to happen?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Have seen some adventure sport shoots were they had to use some sort of copter cam. I doubt they were using a helicopter in the mountains of Nepal so I guess they were using something similar to this. It has practical applications and it's the same thing as the eye in the sky in football stadiums except not on a fixed tether. I've been amazed at how smooth it is though, I would love to see what the stabilizer looks like on it.

Jttacoma can you at least admit that Chains, and Pro Worlds is never going to happen?
Links to the vids you're talking about? I'd love to check 'em out. As for RC vs real helo, it would depend on what the footage looks like. If it's a sport with any cashflow behind it likely it's a real helicopter - as the heaviest thing you're going to mount on a RC is a DSLR, and those aren't the most loved format for HD broadcasting workflows...not saying it *couldn't* be, just giving insight into the typical.

As for Chains and the Pro Worlds 2011 DVD, I honestly don't know. I caught a ton of flak for sticking up for someone who attempted an atlas-like feat for our sport, and I feel like people hated on it because they don't understand the process so they grossly underestimate it. However, the entire time I was speaking for myself, not as an official mouthpiece of either project. I was simply brought on by Derek to help shoot those two as well as a third project that never really got off the ground. I have no power over any of it, so I'm not really sure why dogging me about it is productive in any way, shape, or form. I suspect it is simply schadenfreude which drives the desire to win an argument where you (and others) took up a position which ultimately is counter-productive to advancing the sport's image. You are entitled to believe what you will about those projects, as am I. My official position is optimism and hope that they will see the light of day - and while I'm no fool and recognize the reputation of the projects has been damaged by the delays - I have faith that people will enjoy them nonetheless and they will still have a positive impact on the game.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

"Where the trail ends" is video i was thinking. Only reason I would say it would be a rc copter since I doubt a non military copter could operate that high in the mtns. On phone so cant link vids for some reason.

On chains i hope your right.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 20
snowboard videos are always filmed with non military helicopters. you cant get much higher than the top of a mountain.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuku1 View Post
snowboard videos are always filmed with non military helicopters. you cant get much higher than the top of a mountain.
Military and civilian helicopters have the same capability as far as altitude, and actually civilian helicopters would tend to be lighter, and thus can probably fly higher altitudes.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuku1 View Post
You can in Nepal the himalayas. They were at the same altitude as base camp for everest. Itll be interesting but i know helicopters cant operate at everest. Im no expert but im curios to learn.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post

No, what I am saying is that this copter is replacing some of the technology that you think is superior and this EXACT copter is being used in much larger sporting events than disc golf.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
You can in Nepal the himalayas. They were at the same altitude as base camp for everest. Itll be interesting but i know helicopters cant operate at everest. Im no expert but im curios to learn.
isnt that a mountain, and isnt where you are describing is the top of the mountain. I said you can't get much higher than the top of a mountain.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 92
Brad (who is kelly's partner in the mikrocopter venture) was kind enough to shoot some video for us at perkerson in atlanta. This is some of the raw (unedited) video clips thrown together:

http://vimeo.com/53130412
password = perk

Be sure to watch all the way through or fast forward to the end when he takes it up above the treeline