Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 PM

My "No X-Step" Form, Critique Appreciated

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Excuse the vertical video syndrome, my friend was filming.

So this is me throwing an anhyzer. I need a little help on how to fix my form. I have recently decided to get rid of my x-step for a more "Devan Owens"-type hop. My x-step has always been a little awkward so I am trying something new.

FYI: Max D is usually with a Blizz Katana hyzer flip to 350-ish. Teebird is at a consistent 300+.

Some background: I have been playing for about 3 years, but for the last 1.5 years I have been getting a little more serious. I eventually want to start playing tournaments, but I feel like I should drastically improve my distance if I want to be competitive. At 5'5", I don't have the luxury of long arms and legs so I am having a very difficult time getting the distance I want.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
it doesn't seem like you're transferring the power from your lower body in to your throw completely, notice how you hop and then there's a pause and then you go in to your throw. i don't know, maybe it just looks weird cuz you aren't x-stepping.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 34
I'd like to see more videos. Maybe one throwing a couple throws flat, and one throwing a couple hyzers.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 185
I'd throw a few more videos up.......one with some views from directly behind and one from the side view (camera man 90degrees left of the tee pad)
Old 01-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 12
First thing I noticed is that you are rotating on your lead foot flat footed or even more towards on your toes. You should be rotating more on your heel.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

You're not x stepping just replacing (actually not sure but you may x step in the air like Brinster, but I would need a slow mo to know for sure). If you are just replacing thats ok (not the end of the world) as long as your hips are in the right position before you start your pull through......Try to get a couple slo mos if you can up and I would be able to see better......(spacebar isn't quick enough to stop you where I want to see exactly whats going on)
Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 PM

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately it's the only video I have.

I feel like I am not getting a good transfer of energy from the ground as New013 has said. I just don't really know a good solution.

I will definitely work on rotating on my heel.

[edit: I'll try to get a slow mo up]

Last edited by rackhoun; 01-02-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

the heel rotation is a result of a proper weight shift........when your right foot plants the toe should touch first then your heel slams down when you shift your weight from back to front. It happens because there is nothing else for your right foot to do when the weight is shifted properly. Practice with a no step first. Forget about your run up and your x step (if you are newer and learning these are the least of your worries)

Start with your right toe on the ground at about a 30ish degree angle from your left foot. Reach back......as you start to pull through, slam that right heel in the ground (and you should be on your toes with your left foot). Right heel goes down......left heel comes up. Left knee goes in towards right leg and left foot stays on the ground as long as you can stand it. Keep that disc as close to your chest as possible. Try that for a while till you get used to the weight transfer and pulling close to your chest. then build on to that later. It will be frustrating, but trust me it will go a long way in the long run. Right now you are muscling the disc (and a lot of people can throw pretty far that way but you'll never throw farther than you are now till you get the basics down)
Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
Your posture and balance => out the window. You need to keep your spine more upright(between your feet) into the backswing and pivot your hips into the backswing instead of leaning way over the back leg where your weight gets stuck back. Slow down and focus on smooth acceleration into the hit. Check the technique sticky for some great links.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
/\ Nice videos! Gonna try some of those techniques out!