Disc Golf Store
Old 01-24-2013, 10:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 544
Throwing Style: RHBH
I was just there at both courses recently and there both 100 percent good to play and u should have no problems. Verdugo hills is right in between those courses and very stroller friendly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countchunkula View Post
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm getting really excited about this trip. A few more questions...
If I play Sylmar, how far of a drive is Oak Grove? How are current conditions?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Tuesday is $5 random draw dubs for the SFDGC - I believe 2:30pm will be the time next week.

It may be a bit out of your way but a favorite course of mine within an hour of SF is Lagoon Valley DGC in Vacaville. It's horribly un-kept, mismatched baskets, teepads, etc...but I really enjoy the variation of the holes and challenge of the layout...it also has an extra 9 holes so it's a 27-hole round if you know where to look, lol.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 38
And if it's windy. Bring your "A" game. All of what JT said is true about Lagoon, but something about playing that course when the wind is cranking through there. Just makes that course a blast to play. Even the most open of holes turns into a nightmare if you mess up the release angle of your drive and even 5' putts are not a given. Without the wind it's an OK course, but with the wind. It turns into the British Open (weather challenge wise).
Old 02-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 130
How was the trip???

Old 02-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
How was the trip???

It was awesome. I didn't get to do as much discin as I would have liked, but no worries. I got a chance to play Lake Casitas, Parque de la Raza, Skyline Wilderness, and Lion's (Placerville). Traveling with the wife and little guy, I have to remain flexible. So, I get info for any course that is even a possiblity to play, and when there is an opening in the schedule we're there.

I may not review all 4 courses, but here are my ratings:
Casitas 4.5 (crossing fairways are really the only con, must play if in the area)
Parque de la Raza 3-3.5 (fun 9er, course was in all longs when we played, beter than any chicago area 9er and some of our 18s)
Skyline 4 (what a hike, I was glad for the adirondak chairs by 6's tee, after 5 straight uphill holes)
Lions 3-3.5 (fun little course, good elevation, some navigation issues and short tee pads on some holes)

I always love playing in Cali, but somehow always forget that many of the courses out there are as much hiking as discin. I tend to think that I can hustle through an 18 hole course in 1 hour like I can in the Chicago area. This is rarely the case for the courses that I've played out west.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Glad to hear you had fun. I can't wait to get back out there!

Did the wife and son make it through Lake Casitas and Skyline?

As usual, I'm trying to make some plans for the next trip out to the Left Coast....now that I have a little one of my own, gotta gear up for the discussions with the wife.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 123
Sadly, no. Both were too much with the little guy along. At Casitas, we also had 2 friends along that are total dg noobs. It was getting late and I had a nearly 4 hr drive ahead of me, so we called it after the front 9. It nearly broke my heart, but we had to bail. At Skyline, we played an abrieviated 9 hole layout (1-5, 8, 11-12, 18, I think).

My wife is a trooper, we've played Idlewild and West Lake Park together, neither of which is a walk in the park. The addition of the little guy has really forced us to adjust our expectations though.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Thanks for the update.

My wife walked with me for the first 9 holes of West Lake Park while she was 6 months pregnant in the middle of winter. After that, she went back to the car and waited for me to finish the round.

I hope you get another opportunity to play the back 9 at Casitas. The view from #16's teepad is amazing.