Old 01-27-2013, 07:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeterrbear View Post
Heyyyyy mannnnn. My biggest word was only one letter bigger than your biggest word.

And it was dismissed, even. Exit, stage left.
disingenuine? lol
Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Heyyyyy mannnnn. My biggest word was only one letter bigger than your biggest word.

And it was dismissed, even. Exit, stage left.
Is this gonna become a sesquipedelian diatribe? Thats entertaining....
Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuku1 View Post
disingenuine? lol
As in not genuine or not not genuine? Or really not genuine?

Mabuku used Confusion!

It's super effective!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by thruhiker99 View Post
What large events has this been used to film? I'd like to see a link, think it would be cool to check out.
My guess is the masters last year just because of geographical proximity. Hole flyovers which would be amazing for disc golf too. Think about visualizing for practice watching from home on YouTube!

Last edited by Menacewarf; 01-27-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
See you do not even want to discuss, you just want to insult. I have told you this has been used to film large events, which you doubt it has the capabilities to do. We get it you think you are king sh!t when it comes to cameras so you have to prove your "lens" is bigger than everyone elses.
I'm not insulting you, I never said the first thing to you. You picked a bone with me if you'll read the thread back. My "lens" size has nothing to do with this. It's a simple principle - I opine about what I know, and I listen to those more knowledgeable on what I don't. I'm proud that you and New have seen this device...I've seen the Blue Angels multiple times, but that doesn't make me a pilot.

I think it's funny that you're upset and want to play martyr when called out...but you ganged up on me in the first place. I had no beef with you until you started some.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 20
you still on that? you win. done.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:44 AM

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 68
Does this technology have the potential for live broadcasts or the ability to zoom in? Although very cool, the Perkerson video still had a problem following the entire flight of the disc.

And yes, I know it was raw, unedited footage and that a second camera would greatly alleviate this issue.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:26 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolymarmot View Post
Does this technology have the potential for live broadcasts or the ability to zoom in? Although very cool, the Perkerson video still had a problem following the entire flight of the disc.

And yes, I know it was raw, unedited footage and that a second camera would greatly alleviate this issue.
I don't really know anything about it, but based on some of the useful stuff in this thread I would assume that the technological issues would be with the 'copter and the life of the batteries and increases in ambient noise.

But I don't know. It bears repeating. I don't know.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
I don't really know anything about it, but based on some of the useful stuff in this thread I would assume that the technological issues would be with the 'copter and the life of the batteries and increases in ambient noise.

But I don't know. It bears repeating. I don't know.
Relax brother I'm not going to jump down your throat. I just hate it when people get bullied because they're not part of the DGCR groupthink.

Battery life is an issue - I'm not sure about RC copters (I started doing a little research after reading this thread but that's a rabbit-hole of a hobby) but I know that with DSLR's it would be. You would either have to roll the camera before takeoff and fly around hoping it stays recording, or invest in a wireless monitor/controller combo which has a reliability question and would depend on the distance from you to the copter-camera.

The reliability factor is a big question too. I know personally I wouldn't put my $1200 DSLR on a copter rig...I'd mount a GoPro but that's about it, lol. If it were to crash there's a high percent chance your camera is DONEZO.

In order to hedge the bet on reliability you'd have to bring out a seasoned pro RC pilot (operator?), and unless they're REALLY into disc golf you can't count on them doing it for free.

Then if you're paying this guy/gal - you probably want to be able to make on-the-fly adjustments to the footage you're getting so you're not wasting money, so then it becomes an issue of seeing what you're shooting. You either need to land/takeoff with every group that passes through, or you need the aforementioned wireless apparatus which are pricey if they work.

^^ This is basically a flowchart of concerns if you were to take this technology at current stage and try to adapt it to a professional sports endeavor.

IMHO, I think this technique definitely warrants further development, and it's definitely doable on a large budget where you can afford all the toys to properly execute it...but disc golf doesn't have the profitability yet. When disc golf's profitability approaches technology's affordability we can adapt this technique more widely.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:37 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
I'm not insulting you, I never said the first thing to you. You picked a bone with me if you'll read the thread back. My "lens" size has nothing to do with this. It's a simple principle - I opine about what I know, and I listen to those more knowledgeable on what I don't. I'm proud that you and New have seen this device...I've seen the Blue Angels multiple times, but that doesn't make me a pilot.

I think it's funny that you're upset and want to play martyr when called out...but you ganged up on me in the first place. I had no beef with you until you started some.
You said I was ignorant and I need to go back to prerubing people, how is that not saying the first thing to me? My point was not that this was the greatest technology, just that people are underestimating it. It has been used in large events to prove its self. I also understand not naming these events hurts my creibility, but I am not allowed to talk about specifics. I am sure your knowledge of cinematography dwarfs mine, but I will keep trying to make my point and I will always defend new013 no mater how big of a troll he is.