#1  
Old 01-28-2013, 01:44 AM
KatanaFrenzy's Avatar
KatanaFrenzy KatanaFrenzy is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Athens, Georgia
Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,096
Driving Form and Tech

Alright here is a little montage I did for fun today. Enjoy and critique the editing or form lol

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-28-2013, 02:07 AM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
Posts: 5,994
Keep on hucking kid. Maybe try slowing down/shortening the steps to make it more compact and focus on more late acceleration. It looks like you get a little flat on the rear foot and your balance is a little behind your heels, try staying more on the rear toes.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 AM
TalbotTrojan's Avatar
TalbotTrojan TalbotTrojan is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 93
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,055
Ha, nice video. What did you edit with? Looks like it was a simple editor. The more you pay for video editing software the more you can do. Also, check the frame rate on your camera. If you can film in a faster fram rate, do it. It will make the slow motion stuff look so much better.

As for your form, I think this is one of the best videos I have seen on here in a while that asked for feed back. You form actually reminds me of Will Schusterick.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

That being said, if you are looking to improve, I would suggest a couple more videos. First, the infamous Dan Beato video. It appears as though you may actually have a tad bit of deceleration right as you realease the disc.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Also, I would double check your grip. Dave Feldberg does a great job of describing a good grip that will help transfer more power from your body to the disc.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Keep having fun.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 AM
discgolf4lif3's Avatar
discgolf4lif3 discgolf4lif3 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ottawa IL
Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 70
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 436
Haha nice editing. Its freaking unbelievable that you have only been playing for less then a year. I dont have much to critique on. I have a slow walk up and throw 350ish only when i speed up my feet do i push 400+ but make sure if you listen to sidewinder you learn both. Its always good to break it down and gain some control. Watch nikko throw in his videos he throws smooth and calm but speeds up when trying to bomb. Granted you wont need to bomb on most courses but its a good shot to learn.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-28-2013, 03:15 AM
New013's Avatar
New013 New013 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,713
Send a message via AIM to New013
I watched the video and saw the same things Sidewinder did.... my powers of form observation are growing.

The biggest thing really is you're not getting your weight forward enough. Stay on them toes.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-28-2013, 04:20 AM
KGroff25's Avatar
KGroff25 KGroff25 is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 239
You have a lot of things right in your form. The positioning of your arms/shoulders to drive the discs looks very good. My big critique for you is that it looks like your motion need to get more balanced and athletic. Your back and legs are both pretty straight and you're standing pretty tall when you throw. This means you're not letting the big muscle in your legs and midsection deliver any power. It also means your release is out of balance.

If you look at the first video of Will in slow motion, at about 41-43 seconds his knees are bent, in fact his back knee almost touches the ground. You can tell his legs are flexed throughout the motion and ready to deliver power.

Also, his upper body is bent at the waist and leaning forward towards the ground. It's not exaggerated, but from reach back to release he's probably bent forward at least 20-30 degrees from standing straight up.

Those two things lead to the ideal form to deliver power in baseball, ball golf, disc golf, etc. It's similar to the "athletic stance" that you get in when playing defense in basketball and football, waiting in the field in baseball, waiting for the return in volleyball, etc.

The final thing I noticed in your throw is that your follow through is a little off. But the Beato video does a really good job of explaining that from 3:45-4:45, so just watch and practice that.

To put it all together, the disc golf monthly video from 13:40-21:40 is absolute gold as far as teaching what the lower body is supposed to be doing during the throw. Watch that and practice it over and over as you work on getting more lower body into your throw.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-28-2013, 05:23 AM
KGroff25's Avatar
KGroff25 KGroff25 is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 239
If you watch the lower body and position of the back and hips in all of the videos of the pros, from the reach back to the release they're extremely similar. Also, McBeth's footwork is a little less exaggerated than some of the pros, but he's very precise and consistent with it. There's a lot that can be learned from watching their footwork and mimicking it.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-28-2013, 12:51 PM
KatanaFrenzy's Avatar
KatanaFrenzy KatanaFrenzy is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Athens, Georgia
Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,096
Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGroff25 View Post
If you watch the lower body and position of the back and hips in all of the videos of the pros, from the reach back to the release they're extremely similar. Also, McBeth's footwork is a little less exaggerated than some of the pros, but he's very precise and consistent with it. There's a lot that can be learned from watching their footwork and mimicking it.
Yeah a few months ago I watched these videos to get my timing down with the pull back and such, so I never focused about my legs, back, toes, and such. I see what you're saying about how they are bent and flexed. I think this will be a big thing that will get me to 475ft or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGroff25 View Post
You have a lot of things right in your form. The positioning of your arms/shoulders to drive the discs looks very good. My big critique for you is that it looks like your motion need to get more balanced and athletic. Your back and legs are both pretty straight and you're standing pretty tall when you throw. This means you're not letting the big muscle in your legs and midsection deliver any power. It also means your release is out of balance.

If you look at the first video of Will in slow motion, at about 41-43 seconds his knees are bent, in fact his back knee almost touches the ground. You can tell his legs are flexed throughout the motion and ready to deliver power.

Also, his upper body is bent at the waist and leaning forward towards the ground. It's not exaggerated, but from reach back to release he's probably bent forward at least 20-30 degrees from standing straight up.

Those two things lead to the ideal form to deliver power in baseball, ball golf, disc golf, etc. It's similar to the "athletic stance" that you get in when playing defense in basketball and football, waiting in the field in baseball, waiting for the return in volleyball, etc.

The final thing I noticed in your throw is that your follow through is a little off. But the Beato video does a really good job of explaining that from 3:45-4:45, so just watch and practice that.

To put it all together, the disc golf monthly video from 13:40-21:40 is absolute gold as far as teaching what the lower body is supposed to be doing during the throw. Watch that and practice it over and over as you work on getting more lower body into your throw.
I really appreciate all the thought and effort you put into your reply. I never noticed these things before and I'm very glad that you did. These references will really help me narrow down and see exactly what I need to see and learn. The lower body part of my form will be my big concern now. But how is my throw still off when I have little or no Off Axis Torque? Anyways, Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalbotTrojan View Post
Ha, nice video. What did you edit with? Looks like it was a simple editor. The more you pay for video editing software the more you can do. Also, check the frame rate on your camera. If you can film in a faster fram rate, do it. It will make the slow motion stuff look so much better.

As for your form, I think this is one of the best videos I have seen on here in a while that asked for feed back. You form actually reminds me of Will Schusterick.


That being said, if you are looking to improve, I would suggest a couple more videos. First, the infamous Dan Beato video. It appears as though you may actually have a tad bit of deceleration right as you realease the disc.

Also, I would double check your grip. Dave Feldberg does a great job of describing a good grip that will help transfer more power from your body to the disc.


Keep having fun.
Yeah I recorded with my iPhone 4 and edited it with iMovie. I didn't go all out with the video because I know it's still not perfect but I wanted to have some fun and get my mind off some stuff. Glad you liked it. And yes I do have high-end editors like AE and PR. But iMovie gets the job done at a slightly above average look and ease.

Thanks for the reference to Mr. Will! Made me blush.

I think the hesitation is in the pull back. I think I created that when I was trying to get my timing down. So it helps get the power I think.

Yeah I love that video and watch it from time to time. I think my grip is god for my small hands so yeah.

And I always seek fun before competition! (Well I try!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Keep on hucking kid. Maybe try slowing down/shortening the steps to make it more compact and focus on more late acceleration. It looks like you get a little flat on the rear foot and your balance is a little behind your heels, try staying more on the rear toes.
Thanks again sidewinder! Yeah I really need to focus on a smaller run up and step throw. I am just so use to doing this that I do this even for some midrange shots off the tee. I just feel more comfort and control. But with a slowed down throw will really help. That'll be the subject for the next video I put up!

And thanks for the tip about the toes! I looked at the toes of the pro vids and their feet are hardly never flat. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 PM
prerube's Avatar
prerube prerube is offline
The Man, the Myth, the Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Clinton, MD
Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 205
Posts: 11,196
Once Sidewinder pops up there is very little I can say.

Look at the 4th picture. Nose is down, weight is back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Katana frenzy form.JPG (52.1 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 01-28-2013, 01:56 PM
KGroff25's Avatar
KGroff25 KGroff25 is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaFrenzy View Post
But how is my throw still off when I have little or no Off Axis Torque? Anyways, Thanks!
What I saw is that it looks like you keep spinning around your front plant foot on your follow through. I'm guessing you developed that to help focus on gaining speed in your rotation/throwing motion.

What I would suggest is focusing more on driving your momentum directly through the disc and at your target. Focus on all your energy finishing in a linear line right at the target instead of just rotating through the finish. For me, it feels like I'm falling forward at the target on release rather than just spinning around my front plant foot.

To try to make it more clear, from your reach back to your follow through your left foot should rotate around your body and finish anywhere from 135 to 225 degrees from where it started(aka + or - 45 degrees from 180) depending on if your throwing hyzer, anhyzer, or somehwere in between. If your throwing straight, it should be somewhere around 180 degrees.

What I'm seeing from you is that your left foot is rotating around your body somewhere from 225-270 degrees nearly every throw. This means your momentum is driving you around your plant foot rather than straight at your target.

In the first video, Will is cranking hard on anhyzers so he's finishing at 225 degrees plus. But in all the other videos, him and the rest of the players rarely ever finish with more than 180 degrees of rotation. You can also see that when they're throwing hard, their momentum carries them directly off the tee-pad at their target. This is because they're driving all their momentum through the disc at the target and their body follows.

McBeth does a really good job of this in the 2 throws after the 2:00 mark in that video. You can also watch his shoulders/chest and see that it almost looks like the momentum is going to carry him through to fall over straight at the target. The McCabe video shows the same thing.

I think a lot of that will actually take care of itself as you work on the rest of your footwork and getting in a lower-athletic stance. You'll start to feel more momentum and force driving through your legs, hips and out through your chest/shoulders. Then you can focus on driving that momentum out though the disc on more or less a straight line directly at the target.

I hope that makes sense and comes off as constructive rather than just critiquing. This is the first time I've tried to give form advice over the internet rather than in person. I think without the videos as a visual to refer to I would be lost trying to explain what I mean.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.