Old 01-28-2013, 03:08 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMson View Post
I threw Shocks today with my modestly-skilled arm.

Here's my arm, throwing primarily shallow to medium hyzer-flips:
- a 172g lightly worn Star SW = no-wind long straight (using turn + fade)
- a 172g lightly worn SOLF = headwind long straight (using turn + fade)
- a 175g freshy QOLF = headwind straight + fade

The Shocks would be taking the SOLF spot. Power wasn't really turning them -- that's similar to my QOLFs. Headwind + power was getting a nice useable turn from them.

Calm winds, the Shock would get a straight flight and good forward fade. Headwinds, I'd get a nice control line with a shallow turnover that stretches out for distance and fades back to center. It was kinda like the Shocks flew in a headwind like the Volt does in no wind.
Sounds like another good competitor to the stable 9/10 speed-high speed-control-fairway-tweener-driver category with the Starfire, SL, Orc, Viking, OLF, PD, Avenger, Saint, Striker, Mirus, Northman, Stag, Escape, Volt, Ascent, and Trak. You have to give MVP credit for taking the Volt and tweaking it closer to the "teebird/faster teebird" standard which everyone seems to desire so much. MVP and Vibram do appear to have the best direct customer relationships in the industry.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Soooooo.....

This may have already been covered, but to cover this in Innova terms (since it is the most commonly used brand...) the fairway lineup is supposed to be along these lines:

Shock-Teebird
Volt-Eagle
Amp-Cheetah? Sidewinder?

I ask this in question form. I love my Volt, but I still carry an 11x Champ Eagle because they are very different discs. I hated the Amp, because I don't really use Understable discs, even though the Amp wasn't really that Understable, IMO. Just trying to I guess gauge what MVP's intent is. I don't think there's anything that would kick the Teebizzle out of my bag, but I could potentially see the Shock replacing my Ascent. So...to the masses: what do you all think?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
Soooooo.....

This may have already been covered, but to cover this in Innova terms (since it is the most commonly used brand...) the fairway lineup is supposed to be along these lines:

Shock-Teebird
Volt-Eagle
Amp-Cheetah? Sidewinder?

I ask this in question form. I love my Volt, but I still carry an 11x Champ Eagle because they are very different discs. I hated the Amp, because I don't really use Understable discs, even though the Amp wasn't really that Understable, IMO. Just trying to I guess gauge what MVP's intent is. I don't think there's anything that would kick the Teebizzle out of my bag, but I could potentially see the Shock replacing my Ascent. So...to the masses: what do you all think?
Arent ascent and teebird pretty similar?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
Soooooo.....

Shock-Teebird
Volt-Eagle
Amp-Cheetah? Sidewinder?

I think MVP's intent is clear: make the best flying discs they can that fit exactly what experience players ask for and buy the most. They probably realize that for most people the teebird is a very hard disc to compete with if you try to make an identical disc, most who try fail and can't help but look a little incompetent. The slot that most newer companies seem to be trying to fill right now is the faster 'speed 9-10' slot, because it is very popular on the forums and people aren't locked so hard into their disc in that slot as they are to their 'speed 6-8' tb, eagles, and leopards. The amp flies leopard-esque, the volt flies kind of like a beat up teebird or tl, and the shock looks like it is going to fly like a brand new champ eagle or teebird; but they are all faster 1.9-2.0 rims with new technology and feel.

Pwingles the ascent is faster and more stable; it's very PD-esque.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 28
The only disc made by any other manufacturer that flies close to the Shock is the Orion LF

MVP drivers don't compare to a lot of other discs in similar slots by other manufacturers. They are new types of drivers in my opinion. I think eventually we will be comparing other drivers to the MVP drivers we see now
Old 01-28-2013, 05:05 PM
* Ace Member *

I just got 2 Shocks in the mail...Can't wait to get them to the field.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
Arent ascent and teebird pretty similar?
Ascent has more turn initially, and slightly less fade., It's also quite a bit faster. You can beat some turn into a Teebird...good luck beating in an Ascent.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Pwingles the ascent is faster and more stable; it's very PD-esque.
I don't agree that the ascent is pd fast. I don't feel like its any faster than a teebird. I think it's more eagle like than teebird.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 66
How similar is the Shock to an Avenger? Sounds like one to me.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasP View Post
I don't agree that the ascent is pd fast. I don't feel like its any faster than a teebird. I think it's more eagle like than teebird.
After some looking

PD and Ascent have same rim width, 1.9cm. Teebird is 1.7cm.