Old 01-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake911 View Post
Having 500' of power doesn't mean i have to throw 500', or even get to often. It means instead of using a destroyer for 380', i'm using eagles. I can use my power to choose slower discs which i can then be more consistent on at higher distances. It isn't all about max-d.
Same
Old 01-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake911 View Post
Having 500' of power doesn't mean i have to throw 500', or even get to often. It means instead of using a destroyer for 380', i'm using eagles. I can use my power to choose slower discs which i can then be more consistent on at higher distances. It isn't all about max-d.
If you can throw a putter instead of a mid, or a mid instead of a fairway and so on, you definitely have a distinct advantage.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 37
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser flippin View Post
If you can throw a putter instead of a mid, or a mid instead of a fairway and so on, you definitely have a distinct advantage.
So the last like, four months, I don't think I've busted out a mid more than ten times (aside from a round at Phantom Falls where the drivers rarely came out) and instead have been using putters. I've gotten to the point where I'm wondering if I even need mids for the courses around here.

Conversley, I'm stuck at about 380-400 feet max D. So I've been using my Volt and Teebird for most drives. It's really been helping my game, and I feel a lot better physically because I'm not putting so much effort into the wide-rimmed stuff, which remains in my bag because I'm too lazy to take it out.

Point: I think it's great that you're getting such an Understable disc out that far. It shows that you have pretty good form because it's not turning and burning on you. I would say perhaps you are putting too much effort into throwing the Boss, trying to "muscle it" up to speed, which is why it's flipping on you. A Roadrunner is so much more flippy than a Boss, and if it's not turning and burning on you, I don't see why the Boss would.

Back to the original intent: in theory, a hyzer-flip of a RR would yield more distance, but as others have said, you're getting it out there pretty far anyway, so I'm not entirely sure it would help. Maybe experiment a bit by releasing it on smaller hyzer angles (I learned to hyzer flip by keeping my arm and shoulder straight but keeping my wrist at a hyzer angle, if that makes sense.) I've seen people throw Archangels 450+ feet (albiet rarely) so I think you could get the Roadrunner out there. Half the fun of disc golf is the struggle to break the plateau. Good luck, and let us know how it works out "fore" you!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 21
For me, I don't particularly throw hyzer-flips for extra distance. I throw them because they have less lateral movement, and I can keep them low without having them turn into the ground. They also tend to have less fade at the end since it will be a fairly understable disc that I'm throwing. If I was going for max distance I would throw it much higher with a relatively level release to have it turn more instead of hyzer flip to flat with only a minimal amount of turn. However this is not as accurate and has a lot more lateral movement.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Bogey Member

Just got back from a quick round, I tried to "hyzer-flip" my leopard with.... decent success. I've never thrown leopards before due to not knowing how to throw them but, I can tell this just needs a little practice. I'm not saying I want to throw 600' bombers but the farthest hole at my local 6 hole course is 408', I just want to try and get to around 380-400' with decent accuracy.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
So the last like, four months, I don't think I've busted out a mid more than ten times (aside from a round at Phantom Falls where the drivers rarely came out) and instead have been using putters. I've gotten to the point where I'm wondering if I even need mids for the courses around here.

Conversley, I'm stuck at about 380-400 feet max D. So I've been using my Volt and Teebird for most drives. It's really been helping my game, and I feel a lot better physically because I'm not putting so much effort into the wide-rimmed stuff, which remains in my bag because I'm too lazy to take it out.

Point: I think it's great that you're getting such an Understable disc out that far. It shows that you have pretty good form because it's not turning and burning on you. I would say perhaps you are putting too much effort into throwing the Boss, trying to "muscle it" up to speed, which is why it's flipping on you. A Roadrunner is so much more flippy than a Boss, and if it's not turning and burning on you, I don't see why the Boss would.

Back to the original intent: in theory, a hyzer-flip of a RR would yield more distance, but as others have said, you're getting it out there pretty far anyway, so I'm not entirely sure it would help. Maybe experiment a bit by releasing it on smaller hyzer angles (I learned to hyzer flip by keeping my arm and shoulder straight but keeping my wrist at a hyzer angle, if that makes sense.) I've seen people throw Archangels 450+ feet (albiet rarely) so I think you could get the Roadrunner out there. Half the fun of disc golf is the struggle to break the plateau. Good luck, and let us know how it works out "fore" you!

Huge quote but I have a few things to say. I'm not focused on getting 500', I just want some solid distance with a reasonable effort. With the putters, I hate throwing putters unless I'm putting. I just hate how the rim feels in my hand, it's just really akward, however I do throw a Zone if I need to hyzer spike anything with moderate success. For Mid-Ranges I've been driving A LOT with my Roc + Mold.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by beagleboy241 View Post
Huge quote but I have a few things to say. I'm not focused on getting 500', I just want some solid distance with a reasonable effort. With the putters, I hate throwing putters unless I'm putting. I just hate how the rim feels in my hand, it's just really akward, however I do throw a Zone if I need to hyzer spike anything with moderate success. For Mid-Ranges I've been driving A LOT with my Roc + Mold.
To each their own, which is what I love about this game, honestly. People give a lot of lip service to throwing more putters to clean up your form, but I think there's something to be said for throwing more mid-ranges too. I just play a lot of shorter courses, and putters fit in nicely.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaFrenzy View Post
If you're throwing a Roadrunner flat and only getting 340ft with out it turning to a roller then I would say no. Hyzer flipping will not get you more distance for your snap.
This is a generalization. I have a max weight Champion RR that I have had in the bag for about a year. It is still stable with a slight hyzer. I can turn it over if I want but it 360ft without much movement.

That is obviously an exception but I just wanted to point out that it is difficult to make blanket statements about discs and flight patterns.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:14 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHFH
stuck..

its crazy, seems like no matter what im hyzer flippin' (BH or flick) that is where I get my max controlled distance and I cannont ssem to BH on a huge high anny line like they do in 360s..need to figure out how to do that the other way around for a sidearm

Old 02-03-2013, 02:28 AM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 54
This is only logical to me, not something I know to be true.

If you're getting full glide and forward fade on a flat release, a hyzer-flip won't add any distance. Unless you can add more power on a more hyzer release.

Reasoning:
You can release a disc at a certain speed. It will gain distance and lose speed until it's either fading sideways or stopped. The initial speed and loss of speed would seem to me to be equal to a flat or hyzer release. Unless that is untrue, you're just looking for a "full" flight; where the disc turns over into a forward penetrating fade and has enough height to fade "completely". More hyzer will decrease the forward penetration of the fade.

Massive anhyzers are thrown for distance in certain wind conditions (tailwind, from non-throwing to throwing side, ideally) because you can show the wind the underside of your disc and get more carry.