Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
After some looking

PD and Ascent have same rim width, 1.9cm. Teebird is 1.7cm.
I'm aware of that. But having thrown a lot of teebirds and ascents I don't think the ascent isn't any faster than a teebird. I say teebird but the ascent is a lot more comparable to an eagle.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 7
I agree with the Ascent/Eagle comparison.

Looking forward to reviews from UPS, Discspeed, and Mike C. Thanks to Zj and Zam for some early insight.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 37
Thirdsies on the Ascent/Eagle, but I would say the Ascent is a bit more stable for me (probably not for bigger/better arms). I have a lot of overlap in my bag, but I see it:

Ascent/PD: same rim width, similar flight, but despite the similar rim width, I can get more D out of a PD..I can use a PD for pure distance, where I can't for Ascent

Eagle/Ascent: Eagle has more turn initially (very slight) but can beat in for shot-shaping...the Ascent retains it's flight charecteristics forever (it would seem). I can get the Ascent about 20 feet farther.

Volt/Eagle: Extremely similar flight paths, but the Volt is much longer. PD long for me.

Volt/Teebird: Teebird is much more HSS, with a stronger fade. I carry a Star Teebird and get a new one every few months because I like them to be very straight. I get about the same D with them, but the Volt requires much less effort to get there.

Like I said, I have so much overlap in my bag it's ridiculous, but it works for me, you know? Even still, if I like the Shock something has GOT to come out of the bag. But what will it be, is my main question. Obviously there's no super-thorough reviews yet, and even still, i need to throw it to figure out. If it's as good as the Volt for me, it may end up kicking out the PD AND the Ascent. But we will see...
Old 01-28-2013, 07:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 55
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
Might be taking a half day on Wednesday to head to the BuRP and throw my Shocks and Prodigy.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 28
Again, for anyone that expects the Shock to be anything. Try to go at it with an open book

MVP is making new types of drivers. The gyro makes them fly different at high and low speeds than anything anyone else makes. The breaking points(turn/fade) on the Shock are drastically different form anything currently available.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 136
Send a message via AIM to New013
you're talking in to a brick wall zj... a brick wall that flies like a teebird.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj1002 View Post
Again, for anyone that expects the Shock to be anything. Try to go at it with an open book

MVP is making new types of drivers. The gyro makes them fly different at high and low speeds than anything anyone else makes. The breaking points(turn/fade) on the Shock are drastically different form anything currently available.
i have learned to do this with any disc from mvp....i don't want anyone to compare it to anything just throw the damn thing!!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 55
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
Quote:

Tried this with the Volt against the TB, SOLF, and one other I don't remember. Didn't fly like any of them, or really anything else I've throw. Lot's of similarities, nothing the same.

Now I'm just throwing them solo. Maybe I'll compare to another mold after seeing how they fly, but only if I really think they are similar. I'll be throwing BRP with a few other people(one being Juju) and will surely give them a shot at throwing it a couple times. If I'm able to get the time off that is.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 37
Quote:

I agree. The same with all their discs, really. I tried the Ion to potentially replace my Pigs or Rhynos, and found that it is an entirely different animal. The Volt was going to be my "go to" fairway driver, and now it's my go-to shorter distance driver. I don't think the Shock is going to replicate anything I already have...there will, I'm sure, be overlap but as I previously stated I have so much overlap it's just silly. I'm jsut wondering what, if anything, the Shock is going to kick out of the bag. I'm not in love with my PDs or Ascent, so I'm thinking it might be them...

or the Shock could always be MVP's first folly. We'll see, for sure. I only pre-ordered one (from CommunityDiscs, though I was veeerrrryyyy tempted to pre-order one of the Skullboy/ZAM Shocks from DN) because I don't want to get burned like I did with the Amp. The Amp and the Shock are the only discs I've ever pre-ordered so yes, I am an MVP fanboy...but not to the point of defending them to my last breath.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 31
I agree ZJ, thats exactly why I took all the drivers out of my bag when MVP sent me the first Volts to test. I didn't want to compare them to anything. I just wanted to learn the disc inside and out, and it has payed off. I still need a Quasar or two, and some days a XXX, but the Volt has become my go to for a variety of important lines. I can't stop thinking about how perfect that ace I hit with my lime one was...it was shoulder high, micro hyzer with a left to right wind that flipped it over just a pinch, flew over the hill and under the 8' high pine tree branches, snaking through a tight gap to smash top right chains.

Ah I'll shutup now. It was just the prettiest shot I've ever thrown.

Anyways now that we have a break from snow, ice and single digits, I'm going to go test the shocks and prodigy drivers. It's super wet, muddy as hell and about to rain more, but I might film a drive or two if it holds off long enough for me to drive to a field or course.