Old 01-28-2013, 05:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.1
Courses Played: 101
A new Fair or Foul

These two pictures are taken at the Piedmont Tree Nursery in Salem, SC. My boys' Scout Troop leases the property once in the Spring and once in the Fall each year for a Scout Camping Trip. We normally set up 9 Travelers for the scouts.

In 2014 I'm planning a Disc Golf event there called The Oconee Jam. Players that have seen the pictures say we have to have at least one hole playing the entire straight row of trees. They say it would be EPIC!

As you can see from the two pictures (one taken from where the tee would be and the other from about a 3rd of the way down to where we had a Traveler during the scout weekend.) The alley way is tight and the distance is long...about 385' from end to end.

Fair or Foul?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kids 2012 activities 454.jpg (148.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Midway Trees.jpg (159.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-28-2013, 05:26 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 180
Throwing Style: RHBH
more than fair.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 363
Throwing Style: LHBH
Fair or foul for what level of player?

If my proportions are correct, it looks like about ~12' wide corridor. One thing that makes it "effectively narrower" is the pine needle floor - big skips for any shot landing with any fade.

For those that can reach 385' it with a routine drive, it seems much too narrow to hold any intrigue. I think it would be a boring/frustrating hole for them as it is either a drive landing in putting range (too small a percentage of the time), so all that is left for variation is an easy/boring recovery shot.

For those that throw 240' accurately, it seems more interesting. 75% power controlled approach gets you 180, with a 100' approach remaining (I would prefer more like a 65-75% power approach - 170').

IMO, this 12' corridor could make a cool 2-throw hole if it is made up of two 75% throws. That way, it makes the player decide how much they want to bite off on the drive to yield an easier approach.

Last edited by Dave242; 01-28-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
Fair or foul for what level of player?

If my proportions are correct, it looks like about ~12' wide corridor. One thing that makes it "effectively narrower" is the pine needle floor - big skips for any shot landing with any fade.

For those that can reach 385' it with a routine drive, it seems much too narrow to hold any intrigue. I think it would be a boring/frustrating hole for them as it is either a drive landing in putting range (too small a percentage of the time), so all that is left for variation is an easy/boring recovery shot.

For those that throw 240' accurately, it seems more interesting. 75% power controlled approach gets you 180, with a 100' approach remaining (I would prefer more like a 65-75% power approach - 170').

IMO, this 12' corridor could make a cool 2-throw hole if it is made up of two 75% throws. That way, it makes the player decide how much they want to bite off on the drive to yield an easier approach.
The event will be one tee for all divisions. *As a temp course set up, the amount of work to get two tees or more per hole isn't in the cards.

It doesn't interest me much at all. I like having a pin placement in the trees and have the tee a hundred or more outside of the trees. I think trying to hit your spot might be more of a challenge than trying to play right down the center.

I also think a tee inside the trees with the first 50-100 feet be straight out the shoot would be fun.

I just wonder if we don't give players the option to play that 385' down the trees if they'll be disappointed.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadjo View Post
The event will be one tee for all divisions. *As a temp course set up, the amount of work to get two tees or more per hole isn't in the cards.

It doesn't interest me much at all. I like having a pin placement in the trees and have the tee a hundred or more outside of the trees. I think trying to hit your spot might be more of a challenge than trying to play right down the center.

I also think a tee inside the trees with the first 50-100 feet be straight out the shoot would be fun.

I just wonder if we don't give players the option to play that 385' down the trees if they'll be disappointed.
How wide it that total area? Is there enough room to have the "signature" hole along with other holes using the same grove of trees?

I have an alternate hole on my private course that does one of your ideas. It's a very narrow gap for about 100' before opening up. Make it out of the tree line and you're in good shape. Catch a tree early (on this normally short hole) and you might be in jail for good (or bad).
Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 46
I have played this type of hole. Not as fun, or as challenging as you would think. There is a lane for the 2nd shot no matter where you land from your drive. Now it takes skill to get the birdie but not a tough 3. Definitely Fair for any skill level. Show the weaker players the need to learn straight shots.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 55
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
How fair apart are the trees? I think this is more than fair, but I'm used to playing this bitch of a hole...
Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 39.9
Courses Played: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadjo View Post
They don't need to play the whole length for it to be epic. Start in the trees, finish in the trees. It will feel tighter and more enclosed than throwing in one end and out the other.

Then, cheat the distances, 50 feet in from the start, 50 feet in from the other end, and you have a 285 foot hole. That'll be epic enough.

You can also leave some room at the end to blast out of the trees.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
They don't need to play the whole length for it to be epic. Start in the trees, finish in the trees. It will feel tighter and more enclosed than throwing in one end and out the other.

Then, cheat the distances, 50 feet in from the start, 50 feet in from the other end, and you have a 285 foot hole. That'll be epic enough.

You can also leave some room at the end to blast out of the trees.
This property will allow up to 4 holes using this particular area. It's 385' one direction and about 350' in the other. The trees are about 15' in each direction.

I like the idea of a shorter hole starting and stopping in the trees.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 PM

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 54
Another Fair or Foul Idea

I'm thinking about creating a basket location at the very edge of a small cliff. The location in question is the small rectangle farthest to the left in this picture.

The distance to the basket is 363', and it is a white level course. There is a landing area short of the basket. This is the image taken from basket location B, which is about 90' short of location C.

This is the view from the base of the cliff looking up to the basket, about 15'.

So, is this location fair or foul?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hole-4-white-baskets.jpg (130.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg hole 4 landing area resized.jpg (140.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg hole 4 behind basket resized.jpg (63.0 KB, 62 views)