Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 1
Run Ups and Disc Questions

I was just wondering when a lot of you added a run up or "x" step to your game? I have only been playing for a month and have seen big improvements in the accuracy of my throws especially since I am able to practice at my house (live on 5 acres) but I am never really in position to birdie any holes because it usually takes me 2 throws to get into a good putting spot. I am not too concerned with distance (mostly just with keeping my discs out of the Saw Palmetto we have here in Central Florida). But I don't want to wait to long to add a run up cause I feel like I will be too use to throwing it stationary.

Also I was just wondering why every time I throw my classic roc hard it turns right (I throw RHBH) is it suppose to do that, cause if I throw it with less power it will glide straight.

Thanks for the input I am really just enjoying myself out there and letting my game improve from that.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHFH
When you throw it full power put some hyzer on it. You will think it will hook too much but just do it. The disc will flip up and fly straight. It works great for driving with putters
Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Par Member

I would start adding x step now but still practice both. Even if its just a slow x step to get the feel/flow
Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
start with just a walking x step, be sure to think about weight transfer.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
I added an X-step pretty early on, just seemed pretty natural and led to more distance. That being said, I find I get better accuracy from a stand still - I think that's true for most people, there's just less moving parts, so to speak. On fairways where placement really is more important that distance, I tend to take a single step into my throw, and not a full X step. I'll gladly sacrifice distance for a decent lie on my 2nd shot.

Not familiar with the classic Roc, so I can't speak to that. But people who are familiar will want to know how far you're throwing it to get it to turn right. Every disc will turn at some speed. The more stable and/or faster a disc is (two differnt things actually) the faster the disc must be travelling before it will "turn over" or "flip." Less stable and slower discs will flip at a slower flight speed.

So how far your getting it out there before it turns is relevant. could be you;re getting pretty much all it;s designed to do, or it could be quite broken in.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Bogey Member

Anyone know any good "X' step videos? I will defiantly be practicing it in the next few days as all of your advice makes sense.

-Currently I throw a Dx Shark, BuzzzSS Zline, and and a Dx Aviar Putter. Would you guys continue to throw those discs off the run up or should I switch to a driver (I have a Pro Leopard, and a Champion Teebird. I also have a Classic Roc, and a Dline Buzzz but dont throw them as much.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightsDG View Post
Anyone know any good "X' step videos? I will defiantly be practicing it in the next few days as all of your advice makes sense.

-Currently I throw a Dx Shark, BuzzzSS Zline, and and a Dx Aviar Putter. Would you guys continue to throw those discs off the run up or should I switch to a driver (I have a Pro Leopard, and a Champion Teebird. I also have a Classic Roc, and a Dline Buzzz but dont throw them as much.

Thanks for the help guys.
Check out the "Read First" stickied thread in this section. There are links to a lot of good resources and videos.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Par Member

I would highly suggest the leopard. It is a great disc for learning and you will enjoy throwing it. There is a dan beto video on you tube I found helpful and another from disccraft where he reviews 3 peoples drives. Very helpful
Old 01-29-2013, 04:10 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 73
Watch this. Practice. Repeat.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:18 PM
Bogey Member

Awesome video and tips guys I am totally reworking my whole game now! I was never really comfortable using any grip including the power grip so I was happy to see so much info on that in the read first section. I watched Ken Climo's video on grip and I tried out the technique he was showing and instantly felt comfortable. The above video is also really helpful and even though I was still throwing stationary by the time I had thrown a couple of times the exact way he shows in the video I felt like my bodies momentum is going forward and I am ready to start working on the run up. Again thanks for the tips everyone.