Old 01-29-2013, 02:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
You forgot to adjust for inflated NC course ratings...
Old 01-29-2013, 02:51 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNcyclone View Post
You forgot to adjust for inflated NC course ratings...
Ha, NC is one of the least ratings inflated areas I've visited.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:22 PM

Years Playing: 4.5
It would be fun if your sister went and did a similar study of the caliber of players in certain areas based on their PDGA ratings. PDGA.com already lists the rankings by state. You could do AM and Pro. As with the course rankings, I'm sure there are a million different formulas you could use to do this, but I think it would actually be much easier to implement.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:42 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Ha, NC is one of the least ratings inflated areas I've visited.
Unless of course you happen to like open courses...
Old 01-29-2013, 06:47 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Unless of course you happen to like open courses...
I suppose, but based on the overall consensus of ratings on DGCR, the average person who uses the site prefers wooded courses to open ones.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
If she wanted to improve it, I'd suggest using weights based on distance, rather than a simple cut-off by radius.

As a few people have pointed out, using a radius tends to find places that have a lot of courses out at the edge of the circle, not so much places with courses that are actually close. (Use a 150 mile radius, and the best place is deep in Lake Michigan, for example.)

The other problem would be the random poking around to look for places. She could refer to this and systematically check all the red areas.

Or, use the zip codes from my other list of places with a lot of courses as starting points.

Then, look for local maxima by checking the value of several surrounding points to see which direction to move.

But, that's a lot of work. Even if she automates it.
That is a sweet looking map. Anyway we can overlay that with overall population?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:51 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 37
These discussions are top notch. Being an 18 wheeler driver I find myself on here trying to find the best places to stop for a day or so to get some golf in. Now I have this list saved. Inflated or not as a means to know if its worth it to try and play or chill in the sleeper. Thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 53
I live in #27, but moved from #16
Old 01-30-2013, 09:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalbotTrojan View Post
That is a sweet looking map. Anyway we can overlay that with overall population?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 144
Send a message via AIM to New013
Weighting courses based on distance from the marker would go way more in depth but if you did go that far there would be things to other factors you'd have to dive in to. For instance if you have an area where the mark is currently in the middle of 12 good courses but have none within 10 miles; then you change it to weight the areas based on distance. Well if that area had nine 3-4 disc courses 15-29 miles west of it and then three 4.5 disc courses all grouped together 25 miles east of it you'd have some results based on preference if you stuck the mark in the middle of both of those two areas independently, depending on how you set up your formula.

With the formula currently being used (and i'm not saying it's the best way to formulate it) the area with 9 courses to the west would easily beat out the area with 3 great courses. Even if you weight it I don't think the 3 great courses would beat out the 9. So then it becomes a question of preference, some would rather live right next to 3 amazing courses and have to drive 45+ minutes to play anything else. Though some would rather live in the middle of the 9 so they have more local options and then when they want to play the great courses make the drive.

The question is who should make that call? Who should decide which area is better and how the formula should be devised to weight one area higher than the other? It's a matter of preference, some people might actually rather live in the middle and only have a 20 minute drive either way.

Even if you did make that call and use distance to weight the courses you're completely leaving out the variable of time because as we all know not every 10 mile drive is the same. For some a 10 mile drive is at 55+ mph on a back road with no traffic, for some that 10 mile drive is through the city at 35 mph going through 30 stoplights. So if you're going to use distance average driving time would have to become a variable if you really wanted to get more accurate.

The question of using zip codes also gets things out of whack because not all zip codes are created equal. Some zips are larger so you go straight from the distance of a zip one can include far more courses than the other just because they're zip is larger.

So yeah, if you wanted to get way more technical you could but Steve is right in that this would take a tremendous amount of work and once you were done you would still have people complaining about how it was set up and which places were used.