Old 01-29-2013, 11:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Not necessarily true. You can throw an anhyzer without wrist roll, and throwing a flex shot with an overstable driver is a useful shot to have in your arsenal. Most beginners don't have the ability to throw that anhyzer without wrist roll, but they're not always the same thing.
This. There's a big difference between throwing a proper flex shot by arching your back and throwing on plane, versus wrist roll.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
This. There's a big difference between throwing a proper flex shot by arching your back and throwing on plane, versus wrist roll.
I agree. I throw intentional flex shots with pretty good success, depending on the situation. There are many holes in the world that set up for this, and many times when a great approach or get-out-of-jail shot requires it. It doesn't mean that a perfect throw CAN'T be executed WITHOUT a flex shot, but as was stated earlier, it's a nice shot to have.

Of course, if this is the ONLY way these folks are throwing because they don't know any better and THINK it's only way... then, Houston, we have a problem, and I agree with the other responders citing poor form.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
You can throw an anhyzer without wrist roll, and throwing a flex shot with an overstable driver is a useful shot to have in your arsenal.
With proper execution, you can use this technique to throw a lightweight Boss well over 800'.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTyburski View Post
With proper execution, you can use this technique to throw a lightweight Boss well over 800'.
I thought he threw a hyzer flip.

I agree that it can be a useful shot, but you'll be extremely limited in the lines you can shape and the discs you can throw if it's the only shot you have. I also find that using an overstable disc rather than a fast disc works better for flex shots because it's much easier to predict when it will fade. I'd rather throw a disc that's too fast for me into a headwind or on a long hyzer.

It might or might not be bad technique. Just saying they're throwing anhyzer isn't enough information to really say either way.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: LHBH
Well put it this way. My brother that plays the most has about 30 discs.

Of those discs, 1 is a putter, and I think he has a 150 dx shark and a champ spider.

Everything else is a driver.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 44
Who cares? Does he? Is he having fun? There are a couple different types of disc golfers. Competitive ones and ones who just enjoy throwing discs with there buddies. In college, i hung out with quite a few folks like this. We always had fun at the course together. I worked on getting better, they worked on either doing better or being drunker and doing the same...we all enjoyed it.

I love shooting hoops. I shoot lots of 3's. If I cared about getting better, i'd work on layups, 5 footers, spin moves, post moves, dribbling, passing, etc. I shoot 3's. It's more fun. (no different than throwing drivers for fun)
Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 315
I've felt the best way to emasculate a big bomb driver junkie is to say nothing, and out throw them with a slower disc. If that doesn't get to them, then there was never an issue to begin with. Some people are out on the course to play golf and some are there to see how far they can throw things.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdiv48 View Post
A couple of my buddies do this. Prime examples are throwing Bosses and Xcals with release points at 10 clock back hand and 2 or 3 o clock forehand.
Perhaps wrong, but wouldn't 3 o'clock be perfectly flat forehand?

At any rate, a dude I know does this. Throws a Nuke or X-Cal off of any piece of concrete or anything resembling a teepad. 250' or 600' doesn't matter. Nuke it.

Thing is, he has fun and that's what really matters. He generally approaches well and putts better than an epileptic monkey (me) so if he's cool with it, I'm cool with it.

Is it "proper" form and technique, not by a longshot. But he has a good time with it and he's not hurting anybody else by dropping Nukes all the time, so good for him. If he asked my opinion, I'd likely offer some advice... but until he does he'll hear nothing from me.

I generally think that this is a good way to handle yourself on a course, in a grocery store, or wherever. Don't go around offering advice to people who haven't asked your opinion. If I see you pick up a can of super cheap, off brand Vienna sausages, I wouldn't do the same but I'm not going to go out of my way to tell you the mistake you're making. I'll just pick up the first non-dented can of Hormel and move along.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 19
Well said justactnormal. One of my best friends throws a Vulcan for pretty much everything, which is bad enough, but he'll throw his Groove for spike hyzers, and approach shots. I get a kick out of it, and it humbles me when I loose a hole to him, me with my "knowledge" of each disc's attributes and all vs. a guy who carries a Vulcan, a Groove, a Archangel, and a ancient and flippy DX Orc. I did buy him a DX Roc, he was getting pretty pissed after every approach went whistling past his target. Truth be told whereas I pride myself on what I've learned in terms of proper form, proper disc selection, disc golf terminology and trends, he is oblivious to that world and just wants to throw. I can't say which is better, I can get pretty upset with myself when I don't execute a shot as I'd hoped, so does he, but to me he has an excuse.... he doesn't know any better.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 19
Whoa, just read my post... didn't mean to come off so douche'-y. Apologies. I guess what I meant to say was "..and some people like their cucumbers pickled." -Dave