Old 01-30-2013, 03:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 189
Throwing Style: RHBH
I don't throw a lot of hyzers and rarely throw a hyzer flip. My game is made of either forehand or backhand flex shots or turnovers. I throw rollers. I always choose the longest layout when given the option. I ace often. I win events in Open and Master. I don't throw putters off the tee and my midrange game is not that important. When approaching I either throw a forehand zone or nuke with a controlled flex. I still have my 1000+ rated rounds but not as often as I like. I am the noob that this thread is about. It's all clear to me now.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:35 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishysell View Post
I am the noob that this thread is about. It's all clear to me now.
Not really. The noob that this thread is about doesn't know what a hyzer flip is, and might even have a hard time throwing a hyzer. That noob confuses the overstable finish of his discs with a disc that is released on a hyzer angle, and can't see any difference between the two. I'm pretty sure you don't do that, and could throw a hyzer flip or a hyzer if you wanted to. I'm also willing to bet you could probably throw mids and putters pretty well if you wanted to.

There's a difference between starting out playing and developing a limited game that depends on a single shot, and choosing a playing style like you have after long experience. The OP said that his brothers throw anhyzers with speed stable discs and don't know any other way, or even think that's the only way. They are the noobs that are limiting their game. The aren't making a choice not to hyzer flip or hyzer informed by experience and knowledge, and that's one of the many things that makes them noobs and you a sponsored pro.

Also, the OP seems to be looking for confirmation that this limited approach isn't the best way to become a better disc golfer. I think we can all confirm that ignoring a huge range of shots and kinds of discs (i.e. only using overstable discs) is not the best way to learn the game and get better. After all, you yourself said it best: "If you're new to the game, start with an approach or midrange driver,and master it inside and out. Figure out how to turn it in any direction, and how to get distance with it. Once you're comfortable and you've got your technique down, then it's time to reach for a long range drivers."
Old 01-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
Not really. The noob that this thread is about doesn't know what a hyzer flip is, and might even have a hard time throwing a hyzer. That noob confuses the overstable finish of his discs with a disc that is released on a hyzer angle, and can't see any difference between the two. I'm pretty sure you don't do that, and could throw a hyzer flip or a hyzer if you wanted to. I'm also willing to bet you could probably throw mids and putters pretty well if you wanted to.

There's a difference between starting out playing and developing a limited game that depends on a single shot, and choosing a playing style like you have after long experience. The OP said that his brothers throw anhyzers with speed stable discs and don't know any other way, or even think that's the only way. They are the noobs that are limiting their game. The aren't making a choice not to hyzer flip or hyzer informed by experience and knowledge, and that's one of the many things that makes them noobs and you a sponsored pro.

Also, the OP seems to be looking for confirmation that this limited approach isn't the best way to become a better disc golfer. I think we can all confirm that ignoring a huge range of shots and kinds of discs (i.e. only using overstable discs) is not the best way to learn the game and get better. After all, you yourself said it best: "If you're new to the game, start with an approach or midrange driver,and master it inside and out. Figure out how to turn it in any direction, and how to get distance with it. Once you're comfortable and you've got your technique down, then it's time to reach for a long range drivers."
This probably sums it up best for the noob the OP is talking about and the pro who had commented about how this thread is directed at him. Explains alot.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 PM
* Ace Member *

I teach this shot as a forced turned. It is a shot otption that works for some tighter holes.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
I've felt the best way to emasculate a big bomb driver junkie is to say nothing, and out throw them with a slower disc. If that doesn't get to them, then there was never an issue to begin with. Some people are out on the course to play golf and some are there to see how far they can throw things.
Not going to lie, I love this too. There is something about when a "richard" says, "I'm going to park this 350' hole," pulls out their boss and gets it nice and close, and then you throw your wasp and end up at the same spot. They just look at you like your some freak of nature.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post

This ruined my day. For a while I got to be a noob today.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
I've felt the best way to emasculate a big bomb driver junkie is to say nothing, and out throw them with a slower disc. If that doesn't get to them, then there was never an issue to begin with. Some people are out on the course to play golf and some are there to see how far they can throw things.
That may work for those of us with a decent skill set but i remember it being horribly frustrating when my skill set wasnt up to par.

I remember working on the bent arm tech with no run up while my bros friend was bombing well over 4 with his flex drives.
I almost gave up on proper form b/c of him...lol
Old 01-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishysell View Post
This ruined my day. For a while I got to be a noob today.
Hahaha sorry but it's pretty tough to masquerade as a noob when you're posting those 1000 rated rounds!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Throwing Style: LHBH
I have a short story which completely identifies with this thread.

I played a round with a guy I've met a couple times at the local course. He throws forehand, always with some monsterously overstable disc (primary driver is a NukeOS) on some big flex shot which looks like it'll burn into the ground until it flips around. On the first hole, I throw a Diamond I'd just gotten and turned it way over. I mentioned the turnover to him and he told me, and I quote, "You need more overstable ****!". I just said I don't want to do that, I want to make the Diamond work for me.

By around hole 5, he's beating me (his even to my +3) and it's driving me crazy. His putting is floppy and terrible, every shot is a flex forehand which has no right to fly well. He's telling me tales of how his best round is -6 and the number of aces he's hit on each hole as we reach it. The best I've ever scored is -1 on this course, and I've only shot even or better two or three times total. He's a nice guy, I don't think he was really bragging per se, but I hate that I'm losing to him.

Then...he stops missing trees. His floppy putts no longer stumble their way into the basket. I finished +5 (which is around my average) and he stopped counting after reaching +12. That might have been one of the most satisfying rounds I've ever played.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 28
noobs