Old 01-30-2013, 08:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
The only place I have actually seen people play their ratings is Southern California. But, it is a lot easier to shoot a higher rated round there than it is where I live now in Colorado. I am not sure if the division names mean that much, I think that TDs know that they can fill a tournament with the higher divisions and when it is a bigger tournament, more higher division people means more money. There are a lot of one day tournaments or other C-Tier tournaments that offer Rec, and on rare occsions Novice, but there are just not many people at that level that think, hey lets go play a sanctioned tournament. I started in Rec and played Rec until I won a tournament. Then I played Intermediate until I won a tournament and now I play Advanced. At some point my rambling wil stop and I will make a point. There are different ways to run tournaments and different players that you cater to by running a tournament a particular way. Not every tournament is for every player. Sometimes you can be choosey and sometimes you play in whatever division is offered. With more and more tournaments each year, the likelihood that you will find a tournament that fits what you are looking for increases. But it also means a higher likelihood of finding a tournament that will not meet your expectations.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 317
I see nothing wrong with TD's excluding divisions. I just wish the PDGA gave them more flexibility in drawing the lines between them.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:57 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 591
Points awards is the reason.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 317
I see nothing wrong with TD's excluding divisions. I just wish the PDGA gave them more flexibility in drawing the lines between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
I think that is short-term thinking. Novices improve to rec, rec might improve to adv...what's the incentive for anyone below 930 to play ?
Why do people below 930 need to be awarded prizes or be given title of "champion" for being the best of a group of people whose rating is below a certain line?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post

Why do people below 930 need to be awarded prizes or be given title of "champion" for being the best of a group of people whose rating is below a certain line?
why draw the line at 930, let's say 970 or 1000 ?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 41
In wisconsin I've noticed INT. is actually only like half 900-935 rated players and a lot of sub 900 players. And rec is usually only for the much lower rated. And Adv. has A ton of INT rated players (and some rec) and the same for open.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake911 View Post
Playing up is a great learning opportunity. If you don't care about winning, but about getting better, then play with better people.
playing with better people is for practice and casual rounds, not for tourneys IMO. you need to be focused on your game, your head, and the course. and you also need to learn how to win, if you want to get better (skill-wise) AND be able to do it in a competitive environment. if you know that you have no chance of cashing, and consistently play in that division, i think it will dull your ability to deal with pressure once you actually get better.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.7
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post

When ive order my 'trophies' in the past all divisions other than pro always say 1st Place and then the pro trophy says Champion.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLong View Post
playing with better people is for practice and casual rounds, not for tourneys IMO. you need to be focused on your game, your head, and the course. and you also need to learn how to win, if you want to get better (skill-wise) AND be able to do it in a competitive environment. if you know that you have no chance of cashing, and consistently play in that division, i think it will dull your ability to deal with pressure once you actually get better.
I agree with you, but that's a bit of a blanket statement. I'm "pro" in two sports. I play advanced in disc. I feel like playing tourneys above your level hones your ability to focus on just what you're doing. If you are in a tournament thinking how the other guys are doing, you are going to beat yourself.

In general in the sports I play (downhill mountain bike racing, bowling) I'm all for less division break ups. I hate age catagories. I don't care how old you are if you are advanced you should be able to play with and advanced 10 or 50 year old.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Par Member

Separating divisions will always be an imperfect science at best. There are many different motivations for players division choices but what I think it boils down to for many players is they want to play in a grouping that, on a good day they feel that they would have a chance of winning and on a bad day they would hope to finish at least middle of the pack. The extremes range from people who want to guarantee a win every time by playing against weaker players to people who want to play much tougher players and hope for that "hot round," are rare enough that on average, it balances out.
On the other hand, tournaments are filling much more quickly these days, and I could see a time in the not so distant future where some cutoffs and adjustments will need to be made. I saw a few tournaments last year that were "Sold out" yet had fields of only 10-15 pros 10-15 advanced 2-4 in all the smaller divisions (AMM FA1 AGM, JR etc..) and the entire rest of the field was intermediate/rec/novice. That is not only frustrating and counterproductive in a competitive sense for people wanting to sign up am1/2 divisions or pro, but can also seriously alter the flow of play if there are large groups of rec and novice players, especially on more advanced courses. TDs for now should always be allowed to limit divisions based on what they think is best for their tournament, hopefully as DG grows bigger and bigger we'll start to see more division specific tournaments form on their own of necessity.
It's a nice problem to have if you're in one of those areas where DG is popular enough to fill events quickly but still a problem, especially for one course towns.