Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 586
Throwing Style: RHBH
You simply calculate the elevation difference on each hole and add them up. One of the courses I have lots of quality stats on is Granite Ridge at Highbridge. Even though it starts and ends at the top of the hill, there are 11 downhill holes, 4 uphill and 3 essentially level. That's because several holes have uphill walks from the pin to the next tee as you suggest.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 264
I'm a big fan of granite ridge. I've played it once and the amount of downhill shots were the best I've seen.

Last edited by TheWCG; 01-30-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
I think those terms have a bit of a regional bias, just like the ratings. If everything in one area is completely flat, the course with one small hill is going to get labeled hilly. Same thing with the park style course among desert courses.
To Mashnut's point (lifted from a different thread about Selah Ranch):
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
Help me out, those that have played at Selah.

Creekside is listed as Mostly Flat and Lightly Wooded.
Lakeside is listed as Moderately Hilly and Heavily Wooded.

Huh?

Is that right?

If not, please update the listing.

See here for fun comparisons:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=81274

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuMagoo View Post
I would consider both to be moderately hilly and lightly/moderately wooded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
I'd consider both to be pretty damn flat.
StuMagoo and Martin see things a bit differently. The difference is that Stu's played 53 courses: a decent amount, (and certainly more than quite a few folks), but all in Texas. That's his "DG frame of reference." I wouldn't doubt Selahs courses are moderatlely hilly, for Texas.

But having played tons of courses in essentially every (and not just a couple in each state, but many courses in pretty much each state) Martin probably has very little (if any) "regional" bias. His concept of wooded/open, hilly/flat is based on "DG frame of reference" most of us can't even dream of. Wouldn't surprise me if every course he's played in Texas seems flat.

No offense intended toward StuMagoo (or anyone else for that matter). This just seemed like a perfect example to illustrate how regional bias can affect what we read.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
You simply calculate the elevation difference on each hole and add them up. One of the courses I have lots of quality stats on is Granite Ridge at Highbridge. Even though it starts and ends at the top of the hill, there are 11 downhill holes, 4 uphill and 3 essentially level. That's because several holes have uphill walks from the pin to the next tee as you suggest.
thx!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldsCoolestGuy View Post
I'm a big fan of granite ridge. I've played it once and the amount of downhill shots were the best I've seen.
that's gotta help peg the fun-o-meter, which is likely a major contributing factor towards it being listed in the top 10.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-30-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadjo View Post
North Georgia...the top 3rd of the state is considered foothills of the Smoky Mountains and extreme Northeast Georgia is in the mountains. Might not be as high elevation wise as places out west but when you compare North Georgia to, let's say, Indiana or Kansas, then yes, Georgia has plenty of courses you can consider hilly.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
Yeah yeah yeah.....CO has a reputation of overrating things around here.

On a more on topic note, you do not need big mountains to make it very hilly. If say 9 holes have elevation of 20'+ and another 3-5 have have elevation of 10-20', that is a very hilly course in the scheme of things (in the top 1/3 of hilliness).
Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.5
Courses Played: 101
I played the AM world in Fort Collins CO in 1993 and don't recall those courses being very hilly. Even Grandma Millers Farm Course up at 10-thousand feet elevation had more flat holes than holes that played up or down hill.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
quite often those mountain courses don't play as well as courses that utilize "hills"

I am the only disc golfer in the world who doesnt get excited about mountain golf
Old 01-30-2013, 11:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadjo View Post
I played the AM world in Fort Collins CO in 1993 and don't recall those courses being very hilly. Even Grandma Millers Farm Course up at 10-thousand feet elevation had more flat holes than holes that played up or down hill.
I was gonna say I'd take the rolling hills of Kentucky over some big boring mountain anyday

Old 01-30-2013, 11:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
Ft collins isn't exactly hills, much less mountains. I was thinking either Beaver or Bailey.. or Leadville as mountain courses.
I was just poking fun at the "Mountains" back east since I live higher than any place east of the Mississippi. I've hiked some brutal hills with serious steep elevation gains in Michigan, but your mountains back there aren't very tall, or very rugged. They are older than the Rockies, more like our foothills.