Disc Golf Store
Old 01-30-2013, 07:09 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 815
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadjo View Post
Yes...I think you misunderstood. I don't think it is possible to have one lone sets of tees and cater to multiple skill levels. I think, when possible, there needs to be multiple sets of tees making the courses more appealing to the masses.

The course in Boiling Springs is a good example of a course that has done this well. I think the short tees work well for newer players and the longer tees give a seasoned player a nice challenge.
Then we're in agreement. Unfortunately I've seen a lot of designs that do try to cater to every skill level with one single set of tees. You get 150' wide open shots mixed in with 600' tunnel shots and it ends up not creating good scoring separation for any one skill level.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Banned

Tomahawk or roller over the water
Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Whenever I see a course that tries to cater to multiple types of players, they end up being mediocre courses for everyone.

that's just one facet, of many, on which many designers fall short. with just two sets of tees, i can design a course with 3 or even 4 distinct skill levels. i can also design it in such a way as to encourage newer players to play the appropriate tees by not using an old-fashioned linear flow from one basket, past the long tee of the next hole to the short tee.

i am very much in favor of designing gold (and even black) level courses. i designed a 9000 ft. par 65 gold level course, a 12,000 ft. par 85 (24 holes) blue level course, and a highly technical 7,200 ft. par 62 course. i do not think that public courses should cater exclusively to a player group that comprises less than 10% of our player base. i'm all about designing big from the get-go, but pouring red or white tees first and having natural tees for longer layouts until they are also funded. note that i'm not talking about true "beginner" or green level tees.

as to the hole in the op, it sure looked a lot like hole 16 at old settler's to me, which is probably the best hole on that course.

Last edited by denny ritner; 01-30-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 218
That looks like Winthrop #5
Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
What's the terrain like to the right for an easy FH roller? My Roadrunner would be happy to roll that far if the ground's even decent.

Otherwise, it's a pretty simple FH over the water, unless the wind is really ripping.....I'm useless in that sort of wind.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:33 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny ritner View Post
that's just one facet, of many, on which many designers fall short. with just two sets of tees, i can design a course with 3 or even 4 distinct skill levels. i can also design it in such a way as to encourage newer players to play the appropriate tees by not using an old-fashioned linear flow from one basket, past the long tee of the next hole to the short tee.

i am very much in favor of designing gold (and even black) level courses. i designed a 9000 ft. par 65 gold level course, a 12,000 ft. par 85 (24 holes) blue level course, and a highly technical 7,200 ft. par 62 course. i do not think that public courses should cater exclusively to a player group that comprises less than 10% of our player base. i'm all about designing big from the get-go, but pouring red or white tees first and having natural tees for longer layouts until they are also funded. note that i'm not talking about true "beginner" or green level tees.

as to the hole in the op, it sure looked a lot like hole 16 at old settler's to me, which is probably the best hole on that course.
Good stuff, I love it when the flow directs people to the short tees but there are well-designed higher level tees for the people willing to go the extra distance to find them.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawanda37 View Post
What's the terrain like to the right for an easy FH roller? My Roadrunner would be happy to roll that far if the ground's even decent.

Otherwise, it's a pretty simple FH over the water, unless the wind is really ripping.....I'm useless in that sort of wind.
There's a ditch that's gonna stop a roller out to the right.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.5
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Good stuff, I love it when the flow directs people to the short tees but there are well-designed higher level tees for the people willing to go the extra distance to find them.
Eagle Creek, a 9 hole course were still in the process of adding the long tees will be like this. The course didn't have much to work with...the natural flow directs you to the shortest tee in most cases. We're still undecided if we'll add signs for the long tees or just tee boxes.

When I've been out playing, I see some of the players have found the long tees we've marked already. Which is amazing in the fact its just paint on grass.