Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
News flash; the majority of disc golfers are rec level & novices and very few of them play tournaments. That's the growth area for tournaments.

No argument there, we need to cater to the rec divisions to grow the others.
I guess I was just trying to say I could see the future making room for more playerbase.. especially one day tournaments in some areas expanding to one day pros/am1 field, one day am2,3, etc.(like some of the majors being separate weekends for am/pro.) Some of the heavier DG market areas already do that.
Right now course crowding is sporadic, depends on your area, how many courses you have to work with, what other competition is same date and distance away, etc.
Everyone hates 5 somes but everyone also hates seeing anyone get turned away too, and some TD's only have one course to work with so it'll be interesting to see what happens 20 years from now if DG keeps growing at the pace it's at.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 03:28 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual Squishy View Post
I guess I was just trying to say I could see the future making room for more playerbase.. especially one day tournaments in some areas expanding to one day pros/am1 field, one day am2,3, etc.(like some of the majors being separate weekends for am/pro.) Some of the heavier DG market areas already do that.
It works even better to stagger the divisions (pro, int, novice one day, adv and rec another). You get a bunch of people who play their division then try out the division above on the other day.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
IMHO - and this is an admittedly tangential thought at best - there should only be 2 AM divisions.

AM1 (aka Advanced) where you play for script, no ratings limit.
AM2 (aka Intermediate) where you play for trophy only, with a rating maximum

That way you eliminate bagging and "reverse bagging" as the OP calls it. If you want to play in an amateur protected division you shouldn't play for monetary prizes. I think tournaments could be better served by using money to put on a better production than to be a new plastic source for half of the entrants.

I understand the logic 10 years ago...but I'm thinking disc golf has enough of a following now that we start to up the production value of the tournament itself and require that if you want to get paid you get good.

Just my .02
Old 01-31-2013, 04:40 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: LHBH
how do you justify paying say 40 bucks for a lower amatuer when a pro tends to pay the same 40 bucks or sightly more but gets money in return; when the amateur gets a trophy...

this would personally make me say screw tournaments until I got better. In fact discouraging the lower ams to even play at all.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
IMHO - and this is an admittedly tangential thought at best - there should only be 2 AM divisions.

AM1 (aka Advanced) where you play for script, no ratings limit.
AM2 (aka Intermediate) where you play for trophy only, with a rating maximum
Why have scrip for the better amateurs? IMO if you want money or something worth money, play Open. All amateurs should be fine with trophy only (and entrance fees that reflect this).
Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBoyle View Post
how do you justify paying say 40 bucks for a lower amatuer when a pro tends to pay the same 40 bucks or sightly more but gets money in return; when the amateur gets a trophy...
The idea is that with all Am prize payout removed, that the prize payout would be replaced by either a player's pack equally distributed to everyone or more preferably by a cheaper entry fee.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:04 AM

Courses Played: 81
What about the player with a 950-970 rating, who has all the plastic they need, and usually fails to cash in the Open division.
How do you keep that player coming back every weekend to a tournament?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 43
i'm a rec player that will never reach a 900 rating and i have no reason to reverse-sandbag. i'm fine staying in my division (if i ever get the time & $ to do a tournament).

in the few tournaments i've been in i did not feel that the rec division was left out of anything but i think that if i crunched the numbers (payouts, etc...) i may feel differently.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 50
payouts for rec around my area allllllways tend to go really deep..like 8 people 'cashing'

Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Generally, yeah, Rec pays out less funnymoney to more places, Int more to fewer places and Adv more to fewer places. It's still all plastic, and you're only winning the relative retail value. My first place win got me $70, which only translated to 4 discs that probably cost the club 35 bucks (eg, just about my entry fee- and that's for 1st). I don't see where we're getting paid and where lower entry fees and no plastic is going to help anything, unless you're having problems with low turnouts.