Old 01-31-2013, 10:19 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Throwing Style: LHBH
Elbow discomfort, but not when playing?

I throw primarily LHBH, and within the last week I've developed some elbow discomfort. It seems to have some classic symtoms of tennis elbow, such as pain when squeezing things, particularly with my arm fully extended. The weird thing is, not only does is not hurt when I throw, I actually feel a little better after I've thrown some (due to more blood in the arm?).

I know the smart thing for me to do is to rest. I had been playing a LOT lately (although I suspect what did it was playing Mario Super Sluggers on the Wii with my son!). I have iced it down several times, but that didn't seem to do much. The discomfort seems to have lessened over the last few days, but it's hard to tell...I may just be getting used to it.

My question is, given that I have no discomfort when throwing, should I just stop playing altogether until it heals, or just back off to a round or two a week? Maybe wear a compressing sleeve or something like that, if I do continue to play?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 10:27 AM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 75
The best thing you can do is apply the RICE principle (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). Also taking some ibuprofen throughout the day can help reduce any internal swelling and ease some of the discomfort.

If you absolutely must play, really focus on the follow through. If you're throwing cleanly and following through properly, you aren't putting much strain on the elbow. But when you start "short-arming" your throws, you can really do some damage, especially if you're already injured.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 21
http://www.hughston.com/hha/a.seven.htm
I found this and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xfb3...eature=mh_lolz
this to help. R.I.C.E (rest, ice, compression, elevation) is another technique one can administer along with the others listed above to help speed recovery. I've been struggling with tendonitis in my right elbow due to a work related injury for many months now. I've actually taken up throwing with my off arm. Rest the arm until there is no pain. Try throwing some, if pain is present rest some more. The most common thing is re-injuring oneself by not having patience to full recover. Tendonitis can and will linger on and on if you don't let it heal.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 43
I've had similar bouts of throwing fatigue/pain. What helps me most resting; sometimes a long rest. The body can heal on its own so easily, it's awesome. Obviously no one here is going to be able to evaluate you over the internetz, and because there are a multitude of reasons your elbow can hurt (think elbow joint anatomy: tendon, ligament, cartilage, bone, nerves...), you should rest your whole arm. Definitely don't over-stretch or exercise to stop the pain (even though it relieves it). There's no real timeline with these kinds of things before you see a doctor, just don't be that guy who waits until your fingers get numb to go in.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 44
I had some elbow pain as well. I found that focusing on my follow through (REALLY allowing my arm and body to spin around as follow through) has prevented the injury from re-occurring. I've read that the quick stopping (if you don't spin your whole body) can hurt your elbow. I took about 4-6 weeks off from throwing (even 2 weeks off from practice putting) and my elbow feels great now, as long as I use correct form when throwing and following through.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Birdie Member

Thanks everyone! Your advice mirrors what I know I should do...rest and rehab. The nice thing is, I actually started playing by throwing RHFH, so I could go back to that. I do everything righthanded aside from throw a frisbee backhand...no idea why, it's weird. I might also take this time as an opportunity to learn to throw RHBH. I do everything else with my right hand, it can't be that hard for me to learn.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 21
Ha! I write lefty but throw righty... or I did before I got tendonitis... I've been throwing lefty while I rehab the right... extremely humbling, but I never considered just not playing.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 115
More useless internet medical advice here, but.....

I have a similar pain and found relief in wrist stretches.

It seems bizarre, but apparently "golfer's elbow", opposite of "tennis elbow", involves the tendons or ligaments from the wrist to the elbow, and wrist exercises add flexibility to the offending parts.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
More useless internet medical advice here, but.....

I have a similar pain and found relief in wrist stretches.

It seems bizarre, but apparently "golfer's elbow", opposite of "tennis elbow", involves the tendons or ligaments from the wrist to the elbow, and wrist exercises add flexibility to the offending parts.
I've found this site and plan to start following their treatment methods.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 94
Throwing Style: RHBH
Use a neoprene elbow wrap when playing. It really helps me.