Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennataos View Post
I've found this site and plan to start following their treatment methods.
Good info. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 01:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegraham View Post
Use a neoprene elbow wrap when playing. It really helps me.
I'd second this. I use an elastic wrap to avoid the sweat that neoprene causes, but the principal is the same. I had severe tendinitis in my right elbow several years ago brought on by playing significant amounts of regular golf, and have discomfort any time I overdo anything, be it either type of golf, softball, hockey or even swinging a hammer for long periods. I find that the wrap keeping my elbow warm and supported makes a significant amount of difference. I've gone from being able to only to throw my thumber a few times a round when I started playing disc again, to being able to use it pretty much any time I want without pain now that I found the wrap. It's been well worth the 10 bucks!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.6
Courses Played: 186
Hey, I am a nurse and I just wanted to put in my two cents. Generally, pain is caused from inflammation. RICE is a very good start to help eleviate the symptoms of swelling. Motrin every 8 hrs or so, and stay on it for a few days. Always take it with food. If pain persists after a few days, you really need to have it looked at before playing again. Good luck, I know as I get old and grey, these problems seem to surface more frequently and take longer to heal.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Throwing Style: LHBH
The thing about the wraps is I don't have pain when I play...I generally feel better while playing. After 30 minutes or so after throwing, though, a dull ache sets back in.

Thanks for all of the input, everyone! I do think I'm just going to take some time off throwing lefty until the elbow heals.

Last edited by Gennataos; 01-31-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 PM
Par Member

Of course the nurse would tel you to take pain meds. Sheesh. Treat the problem, the inflammation that causes pain. Don't mask the symptoms with meds, you will do more harm. Rice.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:40 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 73
Work on strengthening your shoulder (scaps, rotator cuff, etc.). The pain in the elbow could be a symptom of a weak shoulder that can't properly slow down your arm after the hit, thus causing damage to the next hinge down the line: your elbow.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.6
Courses Played: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Down View Post
Of course the nurse would tel you to take pain meds. Sheesh. Treat the problem, the inflammation that causes pain. Don't mask the symptoms with meds, you will do more harm. Rice.
Easy killer, the recommendation was not to treat pain, but the inflammation with a Non Steriodal Anti Inflammatory Drug (NSAID) ie- Motrin. This was the specific reason I encouraged continued use, regardless of pain.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennataos View Post
The thing about the wraps is I don't have pain when I play...I generally feel better while playing. After 30 minutes or so after throwing, though, a dull ache sets back in.

Thanks for all of the input, everyone! I do think I'm just going to take some time off throwing lefty until the elbow heals.
I understand, the pain didn't set in for me until the end of the round or even later also. Before the elastic sleeve I had to take an Aleve or other painkiller either before the round or immediately after to avoid discomfort. Now I can do without 95% of the time , and if I've been throwing thumber more than usual I simply ice the arm as soon as I get home, and no painkillers needed. I understand your reluctance though. I hate wearing a knee brace under my goalie equipment when I play hockey due to the way it feels, but again, the payoff is less pain and reduced risk to an already weakened joint so I suck it up and deal. For less than the price of a disc, what do you have to lose?

Link to the one I use. It's way more comfortable than neoprene, and just as effective: http://www.mcdavidusa.com/Product/51...e_elastic.aspx
Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 27
I've had a similar problem with my index finger on my throwing hand. Once I'm playing it feels fine. When I'm sleeping if it gets too warm it inflames and gets painful.

RICE sounds like the ticket.

Winter has slowed me down from my daily 20 holes or so, so I'm hoping by spring it'll be better.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Puckstopper - Hmm..yeah, you're right. If this can help eleviate the discomfort, it's certainly worth a shot. I'll look into a sleeve.