Disc Golf Store
Old 01-31-2013, 12:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
I don't think lower divisions should ever pay out more than higher divisions - in a PDGA event are the funds from one division required to stay in the same pool for payouts?
Yes.

When lower divisions have the same entry fee and higher attendance, they end up, perversely, with higher payouts.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 184
Throwing Style: RHBH
The best possible solution for all of the questions and scenarios here is really to start running events yourself and implement changes. No matter how well and flawless you think you run your event someone will always have a different idea that they think is better.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 1
I think the biggest reason a lower rated person may play up a division is dissatisfaction with playing the short tees at a specific course.

I know plenty of 910 ish rated players that can throw 400+ ft. They like bombing the disc on open courses. So, they opt for am1 just to play the long tees.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishysell View Post
The best possible solution for all of the questions and scenarios here is really to start running events yourself and implement changes. No matter how well and flawless you think you run your event someone will always have a different idea that they think is better.
At the least, it will be an education. At the most, if more people run more events with a wider range of structures, as players we'll get more variety than the standard tournament structure.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
At the least, it will be an education. At the most, if more people run more events with a wider range of structures, as players we'll get more variety than the standard tournament structure.
This experimentation could also lead to the discovery of better tournament structures to use in the future ....which is a good thing.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringerguy View Post
I think the biggest reason a lower rated person may play up a division is dissatisfaction with playing the short tees at a specific course.

I know plenty of 910 ish rated players that can throw 400+ ft. They like bombing the disc on open courses. So, they opt for am1 just to play the long tees.
This is a good point. I know if i were competing to win at BG AMs, i would play Int. But i want to play the courses the Adv are playing, so I'm playing Adv. My rating would allow for Int though. (i've also never played an Int event in my life, but something big like that I might)

This past weekend, if i would have known the 2nd round adv were playing short tees, i would have played open. I don't enjoy throwing only mids and fairway, when from the longs i could air out my drivers on a couple holes. I don't mind courses that are only mid/fairway/putter, but dislike playing tees that cause that, when the course can actually be longer.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I preach often to our club president to be the tyrant and set rules, run events a particular way and stop asking how everyone wants things done. No one ever seems satisfied. Unfortunately when someone is faced with having to buy the merch, organize the event, pursue sponsorships and then have to pull off a successful event they typically decide it's better to let someone else do it and then complain. I guess that's what makes it feel so good when it is all over. It's pretty rare now to have to take someone out to the parking lot and smack them around.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:47 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatRedDude View Post
Why do people get butt hurt over ams, rec players getting plastic for a win?
Because, you're an amateur, and amateurs receiving unequal prizes based on their performance flies in the face of what amateurism means.

Quote:
i recently won an ice bowl in the Int division. My prize for that victory was an Ice Bowl stamp Roc. I am treating this as my trophy as it was my first win. Am i required to go up a division?
No.

Quote:
i don't have dreams of going pro, i am 36 and play tourney's because i don't play softball or basketball anymore and just love to compete. It seems like the mentality is that if you are playing rec and are never going to move up you shouldn't even be playing in tourneys. This is what i don't understand. Not everyone wants to make money out there.
Some just want to compete.
Then by all means compete. You don't need to be winning prizes subsidized by your competitors entry fees to do that. That is really what the spirit of the bottom Am division should be about.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 52
confused newb

Then by all means compete. You don't need to be winning prizes subsidized by your competitors entry fees to do that. That is really what the spirit of the bottom Am division should be about.[/QUOTE]

Subsidized?

Am i understanding that some of the $ i pay to get into these tournaments is actually being allocated the the divisions above me? So pro's get paid out what they put in but Am's can't/shouldn't win anything but a $5 trophy?

Pardon my ignorance to this matter but i just started to play in tournaments and I am a little confused.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 123
Quote:

Subsidized?

Am i understanding that some of the $ i pay to get into these tournaments is actually being allocated the the divisions above me? So pro's get paid out what they put in but Am's can't/shouldn't win anything but a $5 trophy?

Pardon my ignorance to this matter but i just started to play in tournaments and I am a little confused.
No money is sent to higher divisions...or at least it shouldn't be.

The TD however can use the money obtained from the wholesale to retail markup on discs for higher divisions.

If Ams were to get trophy only the entry shouldn't exceed $25 for a 2-day event