Old 01-31-2013, 04:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
Are you letting go of the disc? Or is it ripping out?
These should help you better understand snap:
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: LHBH
Letting go in that case. Try as I might I've been having the worst time getting rid of any semblance of OAT if I don't really slow it down.

I was just reading about hammer drills today, and I was going to try that tonight.

These videos you just posted look great, too.

Hey, I really appreciate the help. Everyone seems to defer to your wisdom around here.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Don't let go of the disc. That's the root of many issues including wobble and not following through, and most of all power. You basically want to create so much momentum on the disc(the hammer head end) that it rips out even when you grip as hard as possible. You don't want a death clinch on the disc until you get into the power zone(right pec area) though. The hammer drills are good too.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Par Member

So the 2 videos you just posted are fantastic. I really like the tape on the disc to kind of explain the exact rotation of the disc as it should be coming out of your hands.

Even though I haven't tried throwing yet after watching these, I think one of my main issues is that I'm gripping too hard with my ring/pinkie fingers, which is preventing the disc from spinning out of my hand properly. I think that's what's leading to the disc leaving my hand awkwardly even when I get it out on a flat angle.

The very first video I ever watched and tried to mimic was the Beato video, and I actually had pretty good success distance wise just mimicking his standstill throw. The main thing is that I just couldn't figure out how to connect the throw from the pec with a pull back or any steps. I think I was twisting myself up too much.

This helps because I think this (and the third video you posted a couple days ago) puts all the pieces together in slow motion and helps you understand how to get there.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 7
One thing I'll mention is that many mid ranges don't fly particularly well in that 125'-175' range, especially if you're using a weaker grip to power down (which I do, FWIW). I wouldn't spent too much time forcing them to work in that range if you can perform full drives with them.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:52 PM
Par Member

Well the main thing is that I'm deliberately using my lightest, most sensitive to OAT discs on purpose to try and fix the problem. (I even stopped throwing my Buzzz's and Roc cause they're too stable)

I was really trying to slow it down and try to build from there, but clearly my release from the wrist is pretty bad, so that's the next thing I'll focus on.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:59 PM
* Ace Member *

There's lots of good stuff in here:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums...hp?f=2&t=13291
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums...hp?f=2&t=21385
Old 01-31-2013, 06:16 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 21
You are straightening your arm too soon. You need to drive your elbow forward towards the target as long as you can and let your arm extend (open) on its own. This will typically be when the disc is somewhere around your left pec. You extend your arm way back at your right shoulder, and you then have to swing it around in a wide arc and try and release the disc at the perfect moment of that arc.

Watch Paul's elbow in this video. See how it drives forward toward the target, and how it makes his arm bend in and the disc move in a straight line until it can't go any farther forward (at his right pec)? At that point his arm extends (swings open) and you can see the crazy acceleration as it opens back up on its own. His shoulders open up to counteract the arm opening and the disc therefore stays on a straight line.

Best thing to do is to go out and just drive your elbow at the target...literally use your elbow to aim. Don't think about the disc at all, other than to hold onto it with a firm grasp with a stiff wrist. Just get that elbow driving on a line towards the target. See what happens. Your arm should open on its own at the right time and the throw should be online. If it's not online, get in front of a mirror (without at disc) and check your body positioning and your elbow to make sure that what you "think" you're doing is what you're actually doing.

If you're successful, you can start working on ways to strengthen that elbow extension and incorporate the hammer drills to strengthen the wrist extension as well. The hammer drill is excellent but I don't think it will help much if you don't get some bend in your arm.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Are you letting go of the disc? Or is it ripping out?
These should help you better understand snap:
amazing snap videos
Okay, these videos changed my life.

I only had about 10 minutes to throw tonight, but I wanted to try it out. I set up a target exactly 200 feet away and threw my putters and mids at it twice. Every single one had a nice, tight spin without any wobble, and for the most part I was getting the distance without any steps or anything. I typically have problems with my nose angle being too high, but if anything, I was actually throwing a little LOW. (so a couple shots came up short)

Just for fun, I tried to put it together with an x step and my Eagle, and on my one and only attempt I threw it on a nice line for 330'. (according to my phone's GPS)

Thanks! Will definitely study this and practice more.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Lol...yeah that's kinda how I felt after watching those two vids. Read the threads too lots of great stuff.