Disc Golf Store
Old 01-31-2013, 08:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHFH
We're getting along on our course. I never imagined how much stuff there is out there to trim back. We keep trimming back and keep finding more and more to trim. Mainly overgrown thorny stuff. We try to leave the trees there, just trim down where you can walk around them if you throw into the crap.

On the plus side, we haven't had any baskets disappear, so maybe the neighbors are going to leave us alone. We also had a crazy idea about a hanging basket. We were going to mount the basket under the tree, but a friend recommended we hang it. I'd seen pics of all the hanging baskets on DGCR and never thought to try it.

I really like how it turned out. Right now it's a fair bit higher than a typical basket, but we've got a lot of leftover cable so we can adjust the height after playing it a bit.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by texhop58 View Post
This was one of the cool dreams that is coming alive. When I designed the course I wanted to put an elevated island in. Maybe 6 inches up and surround by rocks. Somethig simple but different. I got an email saying they were tweaking my design. It is now 28 inches high in front 40 inches in the back. It's 45 feet round. It is so much cooler then I had imagined. It's great to see someone take your idea and make it so much sweeter
Looks great. You should recommend a little landscape plan to set it off even more.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyKShort View Post
We're getting along on our course. I never imagined how much stuff there is out there to trim back. We keep trimming back and keep finding more and more to trim. Mainly overgrown thorny stuff. We try to leave the trees there, just trim down where you can walk around them if you throw into the crap.

On the plus side, we haven't had any baskets disappear, so maybe the neighbors are going to leave us alone. We also had a crazy idea about a hanging basket. We were going to mount the basket under the tree, but a friend recommended we hang it. I'd seen pics of all the hanging baskets on DGCR and never thought to try it.

I really like how it turned out. Right now it's a fair bit higher than a typical basket, but we've got a lot of leftover cable so we can adjust the height after playing it a bit.
Cool. I have one raised on a wood box 6 inches, another on the edge of a 50 foot ravine, and one up on a mound of dirt about 24".
Old 02-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

A nice sunset from the property recently. Although it's been frigid the golf has been great lately with the snow limited to a thin crust. Shot a -4 on 10 yesterday and a -2 today. New video coming soon.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:55 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 10
I enjoy reading this, hope the course works out well for you. I can't wait till I can design my own course on my land
Old 02-12-2013, 01:18 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 27
Quote:

If you cut 2x4's into 6" lengths and slip them under the chain/cable it wont dig into the tree. If the tree is a softer wood it'll help protect the branch from the rubbing and swinging of the basket.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:20 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempies View Post
If you cut 2x4's into 6" lengths and slip them under the chain/cable it wont dig into the tree. If the tree is a softer wood it'll help protect the branch from the rubbing and swinging of the basket.
I've seen rubber conduit used in a similar way and it's a little less noticeable from an aesthetic point of view. Either way it's probably a good idea to do something to keep it from damaging the tree enough that you expose it to disease and other things that it can normally protect itself against.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
I've seen rubber conduit used in a similar way and it's a little less noticeable from an aesthetic point of view. Either way it's probably a good idea to do something to keep it from damaging the tree enough that you expose it to disease and other things that it can normally protect itself against.
That may be what we go with. I'm going to have to take that one down soon so I can add the inner layer of chains, so I'll probably put it on there then. Fortunately the InStep baskets are pretty light, so it's not going to as much damage as a Discatcher.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
That may be what we go with. I'm going to have to take that one down soon so I can add the inner layer of chains, so I'll probably put it on there then. Fortunately the InStep baskets are pretty light, so it's not going to as much damage as a Discatcher.
Anything hung like that will tend to choke off the cambium (living undifferentiated cells) and phloem (passage for sucrose down the tree) which certainly isn't helpful, although some trees are strong enough to overcome this. I'm not really sure the weight would matter as much as the thickness of whatever is slung over the branch in terms of the trees ability to grow around it and re-establish those connections but I'm sure weight factors in somewhat.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:41 PM

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 8
This thread is a good read. I bought my house and land this past November and I am planning the same thing. I put 9 holes on the existing cleared land already (I had to clear 2 holes to connect things) I am in the process of designing the rest of the course.

I have 95 acres In eastern Ontario so clearing is easy right now but will be tough in a month or so.

My land is flat and somewhat featureless very heavily wooded so it will be a big undertaking to clear the back 9. The previous owner made x country ski trails through out the land so I have the start of some nice fairways. Its nice to see others doing the same thing. I am jealous of your elevation but I will be happy when I can come home from work and play 18 in my back yard with my dogs.