Disc Golf Store
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley444 View Post
I have a roc and a buzzz but lately I have been using putter combo of opto pure and wizard instead of mids and fairway drivers as my main driver. Wondering if I should add a mid combo to the bag again. The putters as drivers and mids have been working great and I've been using saints and leopards for everything else. And flick for thumber type shots. Any suggestions?
Hartley444, if you're still monitoring this thread, here's my 2 cents since I also use putters a lot...

Since the opto Pure and Wizard are working as mids for you, you probably only need a mid for low ceiling shots in the 100 to 175 foot range, where you don't want too much speed (from fairway drivers) to overshoot the target.

I would suggest a great low flying straight mid, the Warship. A heavy one will fly straight and low... and land flat. You can shape lines with it too, but I rarely do.

I would also get an ESP FLX Drone. It will fly low and be mega overstable to get around those pesky trees... where a putter just won't do it. It also works great for forehand approaches when the need arises.

As for your question, the Fuse and Core are both great discs, but their strengths may not be what you're looking for. If you get one of them, I'd suggest the Fuse.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltik View Post
....I discovered is that you have to throw the Comet differently. I know this is heresy but I've always had that suspicion. The Comet does take a smooth throw but it's not the same throw as what can make a Fuse go far and straight....
Greetings keltik. If you have the time would you mind elaborating on this. I've had a Z Comet 164g for a while but just got Opto and GL Fuses 170ish last week and I'm trying to figure them out. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by threevok View Post
Greetings keltik. If you have the time would you mind elaborating on this. I've had a Z Comet 164g for a while but just got Opto and GL Fuses 170ish last week and I'm trying to figure them out. Thanks in advance.
I think I know what he means. Comets like to be thrown kind of like putters. A lot of clean spin, snapped with height to maximize the float. The Fuse is a bit faster, you can throw it on lower lines and harder like a Buzzz or driver.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 76
My fuse turns over kind of like a meteor or stingray. I haven't thrown a core.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 19
Thank you Brother. I've been throwing my fuses like I do my Comet and putters, shorter reach back and a loose fork grip. I really haven't hucked the Fuse like a Buzzz even though they look similar to me but with a sharper nose.

Fuses arrived one day, snow arrived 3 days later, so I haven't had much time with them. I did have a short ace the second time I played with the Opto Fuse. Other than my Comet it's my favorite disc. I just need to hoard all the right weights and plastics to cover a range of 100 to 350 ft.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:44 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: LHBH
I use both a Core and Fuse

Core is great for throwing big sweeping anny's, straight shots, or start on a hyzer and you can get fade out of it.

Fuse is great for shots that go straight with a bit of turn at the end, a small hyzer flip for dead straight, or again a lot of hyzer for minimal fade at the end.

I think there both versatile and you should own both of them. Also good for form correction as other's have stated. If I'm having a bad day I can't throw the core at all. I've noticed this with all Lat64 discs though. They are very sensitive to nose angles and OAT.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
My fuse turns over kind of like a meteor or stingray. I haven't thrown a core.
After throwing the fuse some more, I revise my opinion. I think I initially tested it in some headwind. Now I think it is more neutral. In other words, more like a Mako or Buzz SS than a meteor/stingray.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 196
That sounds about right. I love the Fuse, but headwinds are not kind to it. Then again, headwinds are kind any neutral mids that I know of.