Old 01-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 312
To me the decision on whether to add a shorter set of tees kind of depends on the status of the originals. If the original course is more than 6500' from the longs, then it might be a good suggestion. If its already a 5500' or shorter track, not so much.

I'd also note, that I'm not a fan of pouring an extra tee on a hole just for sake of having dual tees on every hole. If you have a short, not terribly dynamic hole, just let everyone shoot from the same pad.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Birdie Member

While situations don't always allow "totally separate courses for separate abilities" one aspect I've seen on even great courses like Maple Hill that personally bugs me - and I've told Dodge and Southwick my opinion (although it's just that - my opinion - and it's THEIR land...) - is when you have a world class course (WC) laid out and being played by WC players at the same time as a beginner (B) course laid out and being played by beginners - ON THE SAME LAND! It'll take WC 3 hours to play theirs, and it'll take darn near the same time for B to play theirs...as the walks that B has to take between holes can almost exceed the play-distances...and then there are the 'waiting times' for the WCs to play ahead of them.
Maybe a compromise would be having B course be intertwined with Int courses (or some such) and Adv courses with WCs, and Ints and Advs together (but, in that case, not include the 'ends').
Anyway, just ramblings....

Karl
Old 01-31-2013, 03:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 148
Throwing Style: RHBH
As the builder and a co-designer of Nevin I am very opposed to a complete set of shorter tees. The course was designed for the advanced level player and up. I have no interest in providing an easier solution for rec players. It isn't because I don't like the rec players but they have plenty of choices. Within just a few miles Sugaw, Kilborne, Eastway, Hornets Nest, and Reedy Creek all offer disc golf that caters to the mid to lower skilled players. Short pads were only poured to speed play for worlds. Matt Keatts and I even joke about tearing up the short pads. Nevin stays pretty maintained even with the light traffic. The goal is to make Nevin one of the premier courses in Charlotte and I tried to do many things to assist in the longevity of the course including water diverters and retaining walls. With additional traffic comes additional wear on the course. Additionally, with shorter tees comes less serious players that are attracted by the easier layout. This exponentially increases the amount of trash and vandalism. Nevin has become a destination course for those traveling to Charlotte and a refuge for pro and advanced players looking to sharpen their skills away from the mass public. With all there is to do in Charlotte the only work, I would get excited for at Nevin would be increasing the difficulty of the course and raising the par up above 70. I had played around with a new 11 short, but I don't think it is necessary any time soon.

Sometimes, multiple tees/baskets make sense, especially when that course has little competition. They can add variety or reduced difficulty. It adds variety for the players but I find that sometimes it can become overly confusing, shorter tees are neglected, and in general it begins to open up the woods as discs are flying on multiple paths at different speeds. I would not want this for Nevin. And I/we cannot handle the additional maintenance concerns required for additional holes.

Last edited by 1978; 01-31-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: LHBH
Keep up the work on Nevin! Us Rec/Inter players love to get our asses handed to us! Although I do like to play 1 and 3 short just so I can have a couple of ace run holes.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.1
Courses Played: 101
I understand and appreciate all the hard work and dedication folks put into courses. I have been involved for a long time selling and installing courses.

When a course in a public park I still maintain there needs to be an option for the less seasoned player.

This doesn't exist many places but if you have a park that allows for multiple courses. Having two 18 holes courses at the same facility, I don't think its as important to offer multiple tees as long as there are signs explaining the different courses so players would migrate to a course more for their skill level.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 155
^^^ 1978 makes some excellent points, and while not every DG community is as blessed as Charlotte, designers should keep in mind what other courses are already in the area, and who they serve. If there isn't much in the area, then well executed dual tees make a lot of sense. If there are a several courses in the area, then courses can be taylored to different skill levels. Once you get past the novice stage, you can enjoy courses even if they are well above your skill level.

Although it's nice when they are, not all courses necessarily need to be suited to all levels of play.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 122
Send a message via AIM to New013
Is it the opinion of some that more courses should have framed pads for rec/kids? Or are we talking the red rock/post showing where they should throw from?

I have no problem with people asking for a shorter layout involving natural tees marked by some kind of marker but to say that it needs to be standard that all public/city courses should have a permanent pad for that level is really asking a lot more of designers/clubs than can possibly be accomplished in some cases. It's already a chore for some to raise the money to get one set of pads in, much less asking them to put in two.

If you want a designated natural area for rec/kid players to tee from get in touch with the town/designer and go stick some out there. Honestly for kids you don't really need a designated area just pick a spot and tell them to tee off. If the rec players want permanent pads to tee off from they should get better and back up. I started off teeing off beside rocks and it pissed me off enough that I got serious and learned to throw farther.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
Is it the opinion of some that more courses should have framed pads for rec/kids? Or are we talking the red rock/post showing where they should throw from?

I have no problem with people asking for a shorter layout involving natural tees marked by some kind of marker but to say that it needs to be standard that all public/city courses should have a permanent pad for that level is really asking a lot more of designers/clubs than can possibly be accomplished in some cases. It's already a chore for some to raise the money to get one set of pads in, much less asking them to put in two.

If you want a designated natural area for rec/kid players to tee from get in touch with the town/designer and go stick some out there. Honestly for kids you don't really need a designated area just pick a spot and tell them to tee off. If the rec players want permanent pads to tee off from they should get better and back up. I started off teeing off beside rocks and it pissed me off enough that I got serious and learned to throw farther.
These are my thoughts as well. I have done just that with some juniors. "Ok you guys will throw from a little further up." Many courses I have played that did not have junior level tees but were tourney courses had temp flags put up for them. No need to put so much money and manpower into a segment that really could care less.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 31
Also, having a 5 year old and 7 year old - I am getting pressure for shorter holes as well. My 'Green' tees are going to be nothing more than a green stake in the ground, similar to what you would see at nice ball golf courses. They have a 'JR' marker cemented into the cart path where the kids just drop their ball and play the hole from there.

Everyone is saying this, without saying it. Kids or JR tees need to be nothing more than a Green stake in the ground somewhere in the fairway.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.1
Courses Played: 101
I'm not saying that there needs to be tees for kids as much as courses in public parks that are blue/gold courses should have tees that are more suited for red level players.

When I mention playing with my kids, they can walk the longest courses but at 7 & 8 years old, throwing a 7-thousand foot course is a bit much. Fifty-five hundred feet, not so much.