Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: I gladly play in: (select all that apply)
Temps under 40F 178 68.46%
Temps under freezing 146 56.15%
Temps under 20F 123 47.31%
High wind and temp under freezing 110 42.31%
Minimal snow (disc unlikely to bury in most places) 159 61.15%
Heavy to drifting snow (disc will bury in many places) 114 43.85%
Ice - (slick frozen ground and/or icy tee pads) 116 44.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2013, 11:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser flippin View Post
one vote for: none of the above
if i wanna play, i play. boots and ice spikes, tones of layers, anything it takes.
ok, looked at the poll again, and looks like you can choose multiple.
so in that case, all of the above.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:28 PM

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 71
Nor-Cal

It definitely gets chilly here, especially if you tee-off in the morning or are signing up for a tourney. However, I think you guys are nuts for playing in temps in the teens! Mad respect for you dedicated folk! The only thing that really has kept me off the course is the 100+ degree days we get in Sacramento. Other than that, weather isn't usually a major concern. Shade golf!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 92
I would play in all of the conditions in the poll. There is a limit. Thunderstorms with heavy downpours will force me off of the course. Flash floods will do the same, as most courses in Texas are built in flood plains.

Most of the really bad weather days I've played were in West Texas when I spent a lot of time there. 8 inches of snow in Plainview (I was the first, and probably only, person to play the course with snow on it, so it was easy to see where the disc went in.) Really cold weather in Lubbock and Amarillo, along with wind. And of course, very windy days. I miss it. It made me a much better player.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:04 AM
Par Member

The first tournament in our winter series the temperature was 0F and we still got 63 people to show up But I have to say, when it's colder than that I probably won't be throwing many practice rounds, but I'll still play a tournament if scheduled. Last winter I think I played one in -15F.

The only time I left the course without playing a full round was when it was very windy and snowing those small ice crystals that hurt your eyes when you face the wind. I couldn't keep my eyes open at all when facing the wind. That's when I gave up and went home. But it was only a practice round. Had it been competition, I might have toughed out even that
Old 02-01-2013, 05:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
Our ice bowl last year had a high in the 70s. It was cold in the morning but we had to take our tops off in the afternoon and we were still sweating.
The ice bowl on Saturday at BEP is forecasted at 15 for a high with -6 for a low. Add in windchill and were looking at negative temps all day.

We shoveled all 18 short tee pads yesterday and they were all about a foot deep with snow. Just getting into the course is an adventure with 8" on the access road and drifts even higher.

Needless to say my partner and I are looking to place top 3 in open.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.3
Courses Played: 85
I haven't lived in Florida my whole life. When I lived up north, I never let winter stop me from playing!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:08 AM

Courses Played: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
The ice bowl on Saturday at BEP is forecasted at 15 for a high with -6 for a low. Add in windchill and were looking at negative temps all day.

We shoveled all 18 short tee pads yesterday and they were all about a foot deep with snow. Just getting into the course is an adventure with 8" on the access road and drifts even higher.

Needless to say my partner and I are looking to place top 3 in open.

Yep...forecast -6 at 8:00 AM Ice Bowl player check-in. This is how we do it!

Winter discing rocks... cuz we are discing. I winter disc because I love discing, and I live in a 4 season climate.

Coldest round? Woke up to -25, we were shoveling 1st tee at The Tailings in Iron River MI by 10 AM, temp of -15.

It's all about quality moisture wicking layering, hand warmers, and keeping fingers/gloves dry.

BTW Dan ...props and thanks for shoveling. Good luck Saturday, prolly cya there!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 260
Do you use a spotter at tailings?!?
Old 02-01-2013, 07:58 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHFH
When the Ice is piled up I pass, not worth not having any grip throwing on the tee's is the worst thing. I need to make it up tp BRP one of these days for a good winter round.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 AM

Courses Played: 73
A spotter is a plus at the Tailings, especially the first time around. Altough spotting 11 and 13 tee shots is never a bad idea!

I play here a lot, so I know where most of my throws usually end up. Did not take me long, the 1st time I played here, to figure out that controling where your disc lands is way more important then a big rip into the rough.

The Tailings has some of the roughest rough I've ever played! Heck, it has some of the roughest fairways I've ever played lol.