Old 02-01-2013, 08:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
Yeah I see what your point was. Monetarily it would not be feasable for disc golf, but it has the capabilities to do a great job if money were not an issue. This is where my problem was. I thought you implied the technology was not ready for the task, when it seems like you are saying the sport is not ready to afford the technology.
Yeah, in my opinion it's primarily the latter. It is somewhat an issue of technology as well. If you wanted to use broadcast quality cameras you'd need a much bigger copter and the ability to see what you were shooting live, and making all of that wireless on top of that means you'll be shelling out some $$.

Now...if some geniuses can incorporate some Raspberry Pi coding into this equation it might accelerate the whole process and make it feasible sooner...those things are seriously amazing.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2013, 08:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 368
I'm not too hip on all the latest wireless technology, but I believe that if it is not already here, using WiFi-Direct allows you to stream video from a phone to another phone.

Or you could use a Skype connection if you have a good signal.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if we are not there already, it is on the very near horizon that doing all this stuff wirelessly will be very affordable.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:48 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 213
I was not thinking so much about live footage. I was thinking footage that could be edited into a DVD or internet broadcast. I guess I need to get more information before I can comment confidently on its live broadcast abilities. I know it has been used, but I do not know the extent it was used, the results (other than what has been posted)or the difficulties experienced.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:10 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: RHBH
MUTEMATH for the background song basically doubled the awesomeness of the original video for me.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
I was not thinking so much about live footage. I was thinking footage that could be edited into a DVD or internet broadcast. I guess I need to get more information before I can comment confidently on its live broadcast abilities. I know it has been used, but I do not know the extent it was used, the results (other than what has been posted)or the difficulties experienced.
Sorry - I'm not being clear here, let me re-phrase. When I'm saying "live" I mean the event itself is live, as in no second takes, no control over the action. Even if the footage is edited or time-delayed it would still be a live event...for example Clash DVD's and/or Tournament DVD's are live whereas Disc Golf Instructional DVD's would not be.

It's a very interesting dichotomy, and different skillsets as well as instinct-sets apply if you're camera operating or producing one type of video as opposed to the other...which is why efficient piloting combined with efficient shooting in an environment you don't control with no chance for second takes makes it a tough tool to implement because people with those high-level skillsets rarely come cheap.

Now...in Flyboy's case they have a unique opportunity, and hopefully they can utilize it to make their own distinct flavor of videos, like a "signature" camera shot.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
I'm not too hip on all the latest wireless technology, but I believe that if it is not already here, using WiFi-Direct allows you to stream video from a phone to another phone.

Or you could use a Skype connection if you have a good signal.
Check that video I posted of the time lapse - guy used an ad-hoc connection from his phone to the Raspberry Pi to control the settings on his camera remotely.
Quote:
I guess what I am trying to say is that if we are not there already, it is on the very near horizon that doing all this stuff wirelessly will be very affordable.
Agreed. I think in 5-8 years my critiques will be totally dismissed because the technology will hit the price point.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:49 PM

Hey Guys,

Glad to see most of you enjoyed this video. I made it back in the summer of 2011 when we first started filming with copters. I haven't done much DG related since then but with easy access to Flyboy maybe its time to make an update to this video. We did a few shots for Ritger to be used in an upcoming promo for Perkerson DG. I quickly cut a few of those shots together and thats whats out there right now.

Ive noticed a few questions regarding cameras, quality, live feed, and live broadcast, etc:

- I shot the Flyboy vid solo with our first copter without a live video feed. The pan was fixed which required me to maneuver the copter while operating the tilt of the camera and somewhat guessing on the framing of the shot. Our current copter is a 2 operator setup with the pilot moving the cameras position in space and the camera operator who controls tilt, roll, and unlimited pan.

- The copters routinely carry Red Epics so for quality, so thats the end of that discussion.. ha! We usually fly a Canon 5DmkIII but depending on the requirements Sony FS700, Reds, and hopefully a F5 or 55 when I can get my hands on one. The Flyboy vid was on a 7D.

Theres a good amount skill required to operate these on the camera side of things. If your shooting on a tripod you can quickly adjust settings, focus, and focal length by hand. With the copter, generally, all your settings are made ahead of time. Coordination between pilot and camera op is paramount to getting the shot.

- Live broadcast is definitely possible and with deep enough pockets full HD downlink is also no issue. The question becomes what type of shots would you use it for? Take golf for example: Live broadcast golf is basically a show for documenting a tournament. The focus more on getting the shot and less on making it look pretty. They do use beauty type shots in the broadcast but usually in the form of hole flyovers and lead in and out of commercial breaks. All those are pre-recorded and edited in. How many times do you see the live, wide angle, blimp shots during play? Some but not often. And is it really all that interesting? Where the copter excels is with shots that you can't get with a blimp, full size heli, or jib. For example, I can fly a shot under and between trees then out over the fairway to reveal the green. You can't get that any other way. In the Flyboy video most of the shots are at close range (sometimes 2 ft) and require planning and trust in your equipment, subjects, and skill. Ive known Kelly for over 15 years. Would it be possible to get those shots during a tournament? Of course, but that would not only be distracting to players competing but irresponsible and dangerous. If all your looking for is a hovering type higher shot then yes, that could easily be done… but thats not efficient use of the copter.

Brad
Old 04-03-2013, 01:53 PM
^Has PhD in Disc-Artistry

Welcome Brad! Thanks for bringing us all that info. This stuff is really exciting!!

Where might we go to follow your progress and see new material?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 3
Very cool - hope we see some more footage soon.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 29.8
Aerial Edge

Check out Brad's work here...
http://www.theaerialedge.com

Not only is he an awesome pilot, but he has a disc retrieving dog that is off the hook!!