Old 02-01-2013, 06:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
How Feldy explains the heel pivot there is one of the few things I disagree with him on. He is basically teaching a spin out, not a pivot there, and your practice in your vid is a spin out. A good pivot happens from a kinetic release of the torque you create from the ground up and getting your weight balanced and forward which then releases the tension. If your foot spins before your outward throwing motion you are losing leverage/bracing from which to throw against which kills power and accuracy. Most the top throwers don't have any foot spin until the disc begins to pivot at the release, many are after the release. When your foot lands on the toes and rolls to the heel, the pressure should be on the inside of the foot and kept there until your weight moves forward and your foot/weight will begin to roll target-ward not spin, then it will automatically pivot. In most cases the pivot is actually weightless/airborne, so there is no foot/heel spin to speak of per say, it's a release.

Your practice there is more of a multi-piece throw instead of getting everything working together. I'd start with the closed shoulder drill and then worry about other things if necessary:

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 185
Throwing Style: RHBH
I agree with sidewinder on that one......I see a lot of people making the effort to spin on their heel on purpose and thats not exactly what is happening. It happens because it has to happen as a result of the correct shift in weight, keeping your balance and stacking your centers of gravity.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: LHBH
Sidewinder22, I noticed Feldberg's pointer on that, and it seemed suspicious to me as well even though I'm not an expert player. It could be he rushed his explanation of the heel turn due to the time limitation. Or, maybe that's how he teaches it everywhere, I really don't know. I fully realize the foot turn should come from weight transfer and torque, and not from consciously turning the foot just because. But, I'm not too worried about it right at this second because I've never really been a toe turner, like he demonstrated not to do in that video. In fact, just my practicing in my kitchen I don't turn on my toes. I realize it's problem for other players but not for me right at this second. But, I will heed your words as I move forward.

Yes, I was really choppy in that video but that was on purpose. Getting back to basics on this I realize my biggest problem is weight transfer. I can pull on a straight line, I have decent snap, and I think I can keep my head down. But, moving from back foot to front foot is tough--I really have to think about it at this point. So, that's why I'm trying to really break it down and getting a feel for what my body feels like in those particular moments of the throw.

It's just a slow process and I tend not to be very patient.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy8170 View Post
Sidewinder22, I will heed your words as I move forward.

Yes, I was really choppy in that video but that was on purpose. Getting back to basics on this I realize my biggest problem is weight transfer. I can pull on a straight line, I have decent snap, and I think I can keep my head down. But, moving from back foot to front foot is tough--I really have to think about it at this point. So, that's why I'm trying to really break it down and getting a feel for what my body feels like in those particular moments of the throw.

It's just a slow process and I tend not to be very patient.
Forget keeping your head down and weight transfer for now. There is no choppiness allowed, you want smooth rhythm and balance. You might believe you have decent snap, but you seriously need to rethink your concept of snap.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.