Old 02-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennataos View Post
I have a short story which completely identifies with this thread.

I played a round with a guy I've met a couple times at the local course. He throws forehand, always with some monsterously overstable disc (primary driver is a NukeOS) on some big flex shot which looks like it'll burn into the ground until it flips around. On the first hole, I throw a Diamond I'd just gotten and turned it way over. I mentioned the turnover to him and he told me, and I quote, "You need more overstable ****!". I just said I don't want to do that, I want to make the Diamond work for me.

By around hole 5, he's beating me (his even to my +3) and it's driving me crazy. His putting is floppy and terrible, every shot is a flex forehand which has no right to fly well. He's telling me tales of how his best round is -6 and the number of aces he's hit on each hole as we reach it. The best I've ever scored is -1 on this course, and I've only shot even or better two or three times total. He's a nice guy, I don't think he was really bragging per se, but I hate that I'm losing to him.

Then...he stops missing trees. His floppy putts no longer stumble their way into the basket. I finished +5 (which is around my average) and he stopped counting after reaching +12. That might have been one of the most satisfying rounds I've ever played.

Nice! yeah these guys are a dime a dozen on the course. We've all met the guy who pulls out the star max or xcal for every hole and somehow magically makes it to the baskets hole after hole. Eventually, their lack of strategy looms over and their round goes to ****. All they have left are fabricated stories of aces and birdie rounds. Rounds probably full of mully drives and putts to get those birdies.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennataos View Post
I have a short story which completely identifies with this thread.

I played a round with a guy I've met a couple times at the local course. He throws forehand, always with some monsterously overstable disc (primary driver is a NukeOS) on some big flex shot which looks like it'll burn into the ground until it flips around. On the first hole, I throw a Diamond I'd just gotten and turned it way over. I mentioned the turnover to him and he told me, and I quote, "You need more overstable ****!". I just said I don't want to do that, I want to make the Diamond work for me.

By around hole 5, he's beating me (his even to my +3) and it's driving me crazy. His putting is floppy and terrible, every shot is a flex forehand which has no right to fly well. He's telling me tales of how his best round is -6 and the number of aces he's hit on each hole as we reach it. The best I've ever scored is -1 on this course, and I've only shot even or better two or three times total. He's a nice guy, I don't think he was really bragging per se, but I hate that I'm losing to him.

Then...he stops missing trees. His floppy putts no longer stumble their way into the basket. I finished +5 (which is around my average) and he stopped counting after reaching +12. That might have been one of the most satisfying rounds I've ever played.
I've got a buddy who plays exactly like this. Only he is way nicer and more humble. He's even asked me for some putting tips because he's realized that putting makes or breaks you. Different strokes for different folks...
Old 02-04-2013, 06:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 87
I've played a round with a guy that only uses a Boss and an Aviar. He's deadly accurate with the Aviar. He's really good forehanding the Boss. His game is limited, but he scores pretty well and doesn't need a bag. Most of all, he has a lot of fun playing. It works for him, so I just appreciate him being happy playing where he's at. I don't see him getting any better than he is now. The guy can really putt.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 1
^^^One of these days, I'm not going to care what I do on the course, and just have fun. I don't see it happening any time soon though.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Banned

When you have fun, th games gets easy.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingace View Post
When you have fun, th games gets easy.
When I'm throwing okay-decent and I'm not worried about score. The shots get realllllly easy lol