Old 02-10-2013, 01:40 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
What situation are you in that permits you access to a snow cat? Secondly, how is that related to your course? I only ask because VERY few people in the world have access to a cat, and even less can chose to do what they want with a snow cat.

Long story short, PICS or it didn't happen, which I'm leaning toward.

Edit: I see you said it was on a tractor. Um, what? What kind of tractor can drive a groomer? Again PICS! Coming from someone who lives and breathes snow.

Last edited by cjskier; 02-10-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 19
@ winter dg purists. I too love a round of deep snow and will never groom our long course. I'm trying it out on the short course only so I can get my 30 minute speed rounds in after work and because we are a pay-to-play I try to do some little extra things to make the course nice for our season pass holders.

@ cjskier. I groom our xc-ski trails (at our Disc/Bike/Ski Center) with a snowmobile that tows a packer, a groomer and a tracksetter (hope to get an actual cat in the future). I used the tractor to pull the groomer in the dg course because the tractor is obviously much heavier and compaction was the main idea to keep discs from sinking (doing this to ski trails would ruin them) and for much of the course i drove in reverse dragging the tractor blade which worked even better. We had 2 January thaws since I groomed the course but just got another foot plus of snow this weekend. If I finish grooming the trails and get a chance to groom the course again today I'll be sure to get and post pics.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 19
So I didn't get around to grooming the dgc again yet, but I took a pic of our ski trail groomer to show what I was talking about. However after reading your post again cjskier, I kinda think you must be trolling me here. Why is it hard to believe I drove a tractor thru my course? We don't have a snowcat (yet) but many xc-ski resorts do and if its on the same property as a dgc, why would it be hard to believe that the cat would groom the dgc? Also many snowmobile clubs have cats and I even lived in a mountain neighborhood where several residents owned cats to get to their homes in the winter, they aren't that rare. But most importantly why would I lie about this? Do I need to hold up a dated newspaper while grooming next to a basket to prove this for you? I don't get it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chesterfield-20130211-00083.jpg (133.2 KB, 19 views)

Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDSM View Post
.. I still call bull****/urban legend on the use of blue chalk thing I saw in some other snow threads.
Have you tried it? I'm not personally a fan just because it gets all over, but I played with someone who was using it and it worked great. It at least highlights exactly where the disc entered and you can figure it out from there.